“Where Can I Go Now ????”
Review of The General Elliot

The General Elliot
Ranked #14 of 489 Restaurants in Warrington
Price range: USD 8 - USD 50
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I am sure that I have written a review of the GE before but I believe that it deserves as much good feedback as it can get. I live in the same village as the GE but work overseas and always look forward to coming home and taking my family to the GE for a hearty meal in comfortable surroundings However, on my recent return I learned that the GE is up for sale. This is really sad.
I don't know the chef / owner that well but have met him on a number of occasions. A nice guy and a brilliant chef. As ever, myself and my son visited and had our favourite dish - Mixed Grill.
The pub is great, I have visited the place over a number of years and over a number of landlords. The existing landlord has got it right and his cooking is top drawer. It is a shame the place isn't busier I will be sad to see the owner go and my infrequent visits home will be a little less enjoyable as a result of it.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

First visit here and we did book a table. The restaurant and bar area lovely and presented well.
Not one complaint about the food. Great menu and excellent quality food, presented well and tasted great.
The thing that lacked for us as a family was the service. The first waiter was a young chap who’s gave held the same expression the whole time. No knowledge of the bar or menu and couldn’t answer any of our questions. Just kept shrugging his shoulders. Whilst I appreciate he was possibly New maybe more supervision would help improve his manner and service.
Another waiter who was very pleasant and much more professional attended our table to bring meals. Service was slow with taking plates and glasses away after each serving. One offer of more drinks the whole night. When we finished and we’re ready to leave our desert plates were still on table and we got so fed up of waiting we went to the bar to ask for our bill.
Seems a popular busy place and understandably as the food is great but the service ruined the experience for us.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Recently visited for a 3 course family lunch on Saturday and had a wonderful time.

The setting is bright and clean, the staff are all very friendly and helpful and the food we ordered was delicious.

We would happily return again in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Great food and the huge bonus of a good selection of gluten free food.
As a coeliac it is fantastic to find a place like this.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Lovely surroundings with very helpful staff. Wonderful food which is freshly prepared and cooked. Presentation is excellent. A good and varied menu.