“Edge of the Cotswolds”

The Castle at Edgehill
Ranked #23 of 194 Restaurants in Banbury
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: County Inn, Beautiful bar, Library, 2 dining rooms, with large garden and 4 letting rooms. Perfect for family lunch, business meeting, special occasion or just simply an escape for a few hours. Friendly , professional team.
Reviewed 25 April 2021

It was a real treat to eat outside on Friday at this lovely folly on the top of Edgehill overlooking the site of the battle. The garden is a great place to eat outside after a good walk along the top of the hill and through the attractive village of Radway. The food and service are excellent. Darius is a star at front of house. it wont be long before we are back.

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (665)

Reviewed 1 November 2020

I stayed at The Castle at Edge Hill on Thursday 22nd October, as I was working locally in Banbury. Let me start with the positives - The Castle offers 3 rooms, 2 of which I have stayed in and both were comfortable. The nature of the old building, gives a quirky feel to the rooms, but TBH the ones that I have stayed in are decorated tastefully. The food at The Castle is expensive, but very good and the staff were all attentive. What really let my stay down was the scant regard for the welfare and safety of the guests! At about 2:30 am on Friday 23rd, the fire alarm went off. Myself and another guest left the building as soon as we could. At the time I didn't realise that there were no staff on the premises, so there was no one on hand to advise on what to do or indeed to check if all the rooms were clear. The alarm was extremely loud, which meant we had to wait outside in the rain. After a period of time we had to go back into the building to get the information booklet to see if there was any information to help us deal with the situation. This in itself could have been very dangerous, as at this stage we didn't know that this was a false alarm. The information guide had an emergency number for the owner, which we repeatedly called, but this just went to an answer message. In the end, the alarm was so loud that I ended up staying in my car for most of the night. At about 07:45, the cleaner arrived and after a phone call m to the head chef, she managed to switch the alarm off at about 8:30. At this point I was furious, as I had to work that day and then drive back to Bristol and had very little sleep! I then went back to my room, had a shower, packed my bag and then loaded my car. The owner must have arrived whilst I was doing this, but made no attempt to come and find me. I then found the cleaner who took me to the owner who apologised and said he wasn't go to charge me (for the privilege of sleeping in my own car!). I wanted to have a frank discussion with him, but his young children were there, so I asked him to give me a call to discuss the incident. For me it wasn't about the money, it was the fact that mine and another guest's safety and welfare were put at risk and compromised. All I was after was reassurance from the owner that he would put measure in place to prevent this from happening to someone else. To date, I have had no response from him, which I find deeply disappointing!! If you decide to stay at The Castle, please be aware that it is quite isolated, there is no one on hand once the restaurant closes, so if something does happen during the night, you are on your own!!

4  Thank Alex G
Reviewed 27 October 2020

The food was incredible and the staff very friendly and helpful. Excellent gluten free, vegetarian, vegan and meat choices!

Reviewed 18 October 2020 via mobile

Fantastic place with beautiful views, lovely beer garden and incredible castle structure. We had a drink half way through a walk

Reviewed 4 October 2020 via mobile

Super choice, super staff, super meal.
Had a special meal on Saturday evening. The food was excellent and varied. Would love to live closer.

Date of visit: September 2020