Bannatyne's Health Club & Spa - Banbury
Review Highlights
Spa Day

This was a birthday gift to my daughter. We were welcomed, the staff were very friendly and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jacki D
Sydney, Australia
via mobile
Spa

Excellent service, friendly and helpful staff. Great value and extras you can add on on the... read more

Reviewed 5 November 2018
Zoe M
via mobile

All reviews relaxation room steam room relaxing experience full body massage neck and shoulder massage heated beds lovely treatments main reception groupon voucher treatment rooms treatment area swedish back massage pre order baguette good size reception staff great massage
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a spa day through groupon for my mums birthday. I had researched before hand and thought this was a great of choice. It was not.
Upon arrival we realised it was like a council run leisure centre!
The cafe is plonked In the middle of reception so no privacy or relaxation.
The spa was pleasant and the relaxation room was lovely. It was however very busy so we could not always get a hot couch.
Our facial and massage were very nice. The staff in the spa were great.
The changing rooms were ok but the toilets were horrible. Grimy and old as were the shower cubicles.
The pool area was dank and grimy with a couple of chairs around it.
You had to pay for a dressing gown and towel. My towel was thread bare. This is not what I would expect from a spa.
We left after 2 hours and the receptionist did not ask us about our experience.
I would not recommend here and will not be returning. Total waste of money.

1  Thank sammie18
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Myself and my fiance visited here for a spa day of which I had purchased a voucher online.
We were greeted at reception and the staff seemed very friendly, massages were lovely, we were in the same room having our massages together.
A few things I did notice from having experienced other spa's before. We weren't asked once if the pressure was okay during our massages and after the massages we weren't spoken to about any issues we had (I had a lot of knots that were released) and weren't told health and safety information such as drinking a lot of water after etc.

I have had a massage with yourselves before in the past and this was all explained to us then as well as being told this at other spa's. I found the pressure fine but my partner did say that it was possibly a little harsh on him but wasn't asked if this was okay during the massage at all.

We had food at the cafe which was very yummy.
Overall a very pleasant day out here just a few things I questioned but wouldn't put me off going again.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

I received this as a 40th Birthday present last June so I was looking forward to using it. As others have stated it's more like a sports centre than a spa. The spa is the nicest part but the cafe and pool area are very dated and very dark. The cafe staff were friendly but found reception staff unfriendly and a bit miserable. The spa treatments were only taster sessions where as we were led to believe they were half hour each not 25 mins in total for both treatments. Spa staff were friendly but did not introduce themselves or refer to any paperwork we had filled in at reception about any ailments. All in all an okay day but I wouldn't buy this package for this spa by choice.

1  Thank Cuddles77
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

I had such a lovely massage yesterday evening!! I arrived stressed, tired and with a racing mind. Daniela (I made a point of getting her to write her name down) welcomed me and gave me the most stress busting treatment, a very talented masseuse. I left feeling wonderful and telling myself ‘I must come again soon’.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We recently visited the Spa on the 7th March and were totally disappointed with the day. It was a Birthday treat for my partner and it has totally written off our day as one to forget!

I purchased the voucher online (Wowcher) and booked with one of the reps on the phone. When i went to firstly book i specified we would like the site to be Fairfield. The Rep , online firstly advised this would be fine and gave me options of treatments etc via email.
I then, to secure the dates and times, went ahead and booked the voucher and sent the requested details to her. This being £109.
On sending the details of the code back to her she then advised the voucher is not valid on that site and I would need to go back to the provider to get a refund. Great, I would have to waste time and effort contacting wowcher. Instead she gave me some alternative locations and I went with Banbury.
At this point, I was not informed of the fact that the Banbury site is basically a leisure centre attached to a rugby club ?! And nothing compared to Fairfield.
So I booked with Abi expecting and being lead to believe the same standard of service as we received at Fairfield and varied but similar facility’s.
When arriving on the day and pulling up we were both a bit confused with the site. Rugby Club / Spa ? Really ? The Spa is not greatly sign posted and we were expecting an actual Spa setting.
We registered at reception, the receptionist was not at all welcoming, fairly loud and the experience at this point was now compromised.
We then went thru to the Spa and met a very lovely receptionist. She was calm, collected and informative. Exactly how you want to be greeted at a Spa. On entering thru to the changing rooms we realised now this was not great. Specifically the changing rooms were grubby, run down.
Then on entering pool side we were greeted with a leisure centre pool. It was dark, unwelcoming, run down and loud. A poor excuse of poolside seating, a couple of battered rattan chairs / sofas. A cleaner with terrible appearance, cleaning windows with her backside half hanging out. A lovely view of a carpark. Non blacked out windows. And again it was generally grubby, loud and unsuitable to be sold as a spa package.
Sitting poolside with Sauna & Steaming, you want to be total relaxing with a touch of luxury. Not the above.
At this point I was totally upset and angry, I went to see the lady in the Spa to raise my concerns and try to resolve the issues.
She was unfamiliar with the other Site Fairfield I was talking about, so I explained and raised the point of the experience being disappointing so far. She simply said that the spa was a small part of the leisure centre and most people use the Spa treatments and nothing else.
The lady apologised but said there was nothing she could do. So no suggested remedy and no escalation. I took this as I was not going to get anywhere and would raise the issue after the day was out.
The next fiasco was afternoon tea or rather lack of. At 2pm after a swim and sitting poolside wondering what to do and if we should just leave, we went to get our afternoon tea.
Walking back out into reception in robes and sitting in a café. Seriously, it’s a poor excuse of a café to start with. No privacy as its next to reception and the place is drafty as the front doors are opening & closing. It’s also loud and again totally unrelaxing.
We asked the staff and they bought out tea, 2 cups and a 3 tier plate stand. Again attention to detail, the sandwiched on the bottom looked unappealing, the middle shelf had Jam and butter on the plate, and no scones and the top had 8 pathetic sized sweet chocolates.
The gent that bought this out explained scones would be on the way and were not ready just yet. 2 cups of tea later, and tasting the chocolates from the top (Cheep and poor quality) still no scones. We were not eating the sandwiches due to the terrible quality of them. Literally looked as if a 4 year old had made lunch.
So after 40 mins of waiting for the scones they did NOT turn up. We were expecting treatments at this point so left it and the gent serving that initially said they were on the way was on reception trying to get a till to work with 3 colleges.
So afternoon tea was also totally shocking (Without swearing) and had further compromised the day.
We went back down to the Spa area and waited to be called. The waiting room was very nice and the standard I was expecting.
One poor point about the Spa, you could hear a high pitched pool pump every time the jacuzzi was turned on in the pool area. One slight negative.
To be completely honest and upfront we had written the day off by now.
The treatments were great and we promptly said thank you to the ladies and got changed an left.
So in conclusion were total unimpressed and will probably not be using Bannentine again.
I logged this as an official complaint and have not has a resolution 11 days on.

4  Thank Markie B B