“Buxton Break”

Poole's Cavern & Buxton Country Park
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Buxton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Poole’s Cavern is the most spectacular natural cavern in the Peak District. Wonder at the amazing crystal formations which adorn the vast illuminated chambers on a one hour guided tour. Discover the home of the cave dwellers and learn about their lives in our new exhibition centre. Enjoy a tasty meal in the Cavern Café and explore the fossil and gemstone shop. Stroll through Buxton country park woodlands to the panoramic viewpoint of Solomon’s Temple.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Well worth a visit; very informative and interesting; good value for money;

Enthusiastic guide:

Only a relatively short walk from the Upper Town of Buxton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)
All reviews
in 49 reviews
"car park"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We had a really good visit to Poole's cavern. The tour was great and the kids even enjoyed it. The woodlands adjacent to Poole's cavern is also great for a walk after. Entry Price could be a little more forgiving considering its less than an hour of entertainment and would probably make this a 5 stat review from me.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This place was awesome ! From the outside, you wonder if it will be worth it due to its humble appearance, but once you actually enter you are absolutely blown away ! The place is magnificent.

Advice: it can get freezing in there !! Take warm clothing :) and don't take any hot drinks etc as youl have to walk around with it all the way - caverns have no bins haha

1  Thank Syed_Ibrahim_Ali
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This Cavern is one of the few that I visited where I didn’t feel that I needed oxygen to walk back up! There’s only about 12 steps in total and you can easily bring a pushchair with younger children so you/they don’t miss out. There’s a paved path throughout and I’d recommend waterproof shoes or ones with good grips although my son came in his trainers and didn’t slip. The water drips from the ceiling is really cold but I wore my hat so didn’t have any issues.
We had a guided tour so I don’t know if you’re able to go without one so I can’t comment. But I saw the guide turning on and off the lights so I’m not sure how you’d cope without the tour. It would have been better to have permanent lighting during the tours and in more areas. As the tour guide turned the previous section off before going to the next section and stragglers like myself who wanted Selfies, were in the dark before running to next bit.
There’s a little cafe but it was so full as we went on Easter Sunday so can’t comment about the food. The gift shop had lots of affordable gifts and crystals etc.
The car park was £2 for 4 hours or £3 for all day.