“Bank Holiday Monday”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Poor service and the vegetables very dry at the carver which wasn't replaced when complained about them.

Jessica L, General Manager at The Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hello,

We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with us. We strive to make every guest leave happy and having a great experience, I am sorry we have let you down on this occasion. Please can you forward your contact details to therailwayatbuxton@joseph-holt.com, so that we can contact you and discuss this further.

Kind regards,
Chris and Jess

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Came when first opened. Ordered the steak, medium, and peppercorn sauce. Steak came so over cooked I couldn’t even chew it, I couldn’t get hold of a waitress/waiter to ask for it to be sent back (something I would never do unless I truly, truly am unhappy as I’m a waitress myself) so I just picked at the chips and left the steak. When the waitress cleared my plate I told her, and she just said ‘oh, I’m so sorry’. I had clearly not touched the steak but no offer of a refund was given - but again I’m not one to kick up a fuss and left hungry and sad that my experience was let down by the food.

I thought I’d give it another go this week, see if it was maybe a teething problem with having just opened etc. I again ordered the steak, medium-rare this time, with Diane sauce. Absolutely starving, my steak arrived (in good time, I must add). Burnt. To. A. Crisp. Some blood in the middle but I almost threw up trying to get past the taste of charred meat and the tough exterior. In the end I left it. The Diane sauce was foul - never known a Diane sauce to taste of mushroom soup and vinegar? Again, £13 wasted. The waiter rushed to our table, said ‘do you have everything you need’ and then left before I could say I can’t eat this steak. So again I was disappointed.

The place was relatively busy, the waitresses and waiters were doing their best so I paid and left (the waitresses & barman were lovely, ever so polite and attentive when they weren’t being rushed off their feet).

Brother loved his fish finger sandwich, mum loved her steak baguette (ironically, not over cooked).

Lovely decor, lovely staff, quick service and a nice atmosphere saved the day. Hopefully third time lucky in a few months?

Hi Shannon,

I am sorry to hear about your experiences with us. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and we are sorry we have let you down on these occasions. I am glad you found our team efficient and that your family enjoyed their food. However, we would greatly appreciate if you could forward us a contact number for us to call you on to discuss the quality issues with you further, to therailwayatbuxton@joseph-holt.com

Kind regards,
Jess and Chris

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Had the carvery, and as carverys go it was excellent. The food was well cooked and well presented. The service was really good and the atmosphere was great. Prices on Sunday are 9.95 for a regular plate and 5.95 for a small plate. Prices are cheaper during the week. Would highly recommend the Railway, especially as it has had a makeover recently and is looking really good.

Jessica L, General Manager at The Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our carvery and that you enjoyed your experience with us.

Hope to see you soon,
Chris, Jess and the Railway Team

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Dined twice at this restaurant. Both times the food was excellent - well prepared, well presented and the portions were generous. We can only endorse the earlier comments about the pizzas and carvery. The restaurant was kept clean and tidy throughout. The prices were very reasonable. The staff were efficient but friendly and attentive. We come from Lancashire - it's a pity this is not our local. By some considerable margin, the best pub restaurant we have been in!

Jessica L, General Manager at The Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We cannot thank you enough for your wonderful and kind comments. "The best pub restaurant we have been in" - WOW! Thank you!

The team will be super happy to hear this feedback and it will definitely help motivate them to keep doing what they do best!

Come and visit again soon,
Jess. Chris and Team Railway

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

popped in after a long slog of shopping with my high maintence daughter for a bite to eat, i had a pepperoni pizza which was lush, best i have had in a while, my daughter had a smal carvery, or chick en dinner as she calls it. the food was excellent, and service pretty good considering they were really busy and for once the sun shone in buxton, hence the busyness of this local pub, will definitely return again.

Hello,

Thank you for reviewing us. We are really glad you enjoyed your pizza. A well earned pizza by the sounds of it too.

Hopefully see you again soon!

Jessica