“Amazing Weekend Away in Lovely Wales....”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Trowley Farmhouse

Trowley Farmhouse
Trowley Farmhouse as seen from the garden below The spacious kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Trowley Farmhouse
Trowley Farmhouse as seen from the garden below
The spacious kitchen
The family room and en suite, view 1
The main sitting room, view 1
The main sitting room, view 2, with cosy woodburner
The second sitting room
The dining area
The main family bathroom
The family bedroom (view 2) and en-suite
One of the pretty twin rooms
The double bedroom with walnut wood suite
The en suite bunk room
The second twin room
Tups in the orchard
Large porch entrance
Wooden stairs and landing area
View up the private drive to Trowley Farmhouse
Our cattle feeding in the fields
Painscastle Common, a short walk from the farmhouse
Wild ponies on Painscastle common
Views from the farm
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Brian D
Truro
“Amazing Weekend Away in Lovely Wales....”
Reviewed 5 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

A wonderful weekend away was had at this beautiful Welsh farmhouse..... We were not very lucky with the weather, but the house and location more than made up for that. A fantastic birthday weekend, thank you so much Kathtyn and family, we all had an amazing time...

7 Mar 2017
Glad you had a wonderful stay! Hopefully we will see you again for another weekend away: I would say May is my favourite month for lambs in the fields and sunshine but you can cosy up by the woodburner any time of year! Thanks for your review.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect Party House! Pictures don't do it justice!”
Reviewed 10 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

I wanted to spend my birthday with all of my friends. We stayed for 3 nights and each night had different people. Going out of season we had excellent rates and different people appeared each night. We seemed to play musical beds to allow for couples etc! It was so fun. The pictures don't do this place justice. My friend and I ran around the house in hysterical excitement when we first got there! Kathryn had lit a fire for us and the whole kitchen smelt of bleach and that lush 'clean' smell mixed with firewood and stone. Lovely!

There's a room with bunkbeds which has an ensuite, a double room, a 2 Twin rooms which my friends pushed together for coupling and a family room with a double and 2 singles which also has an ensuite.

The bathroom upstairs was lovely and there was another downstairs! So all our toilet needs were met! Showers could be a little unpredictable in terms of pressure and heat but we didn't really care.

The kitchen is a great size for cooking and the 2 ovens were a life saver. We were grateful for the Wi-Fi as we forgot a few bits so we could contact other party members to bring things as it seemed that the closest shop was Hay-on-Wye (I may be wrong, but that's where we went!) which was about 6miles away. I personally wanted to reduce the amount of times I had to drive up the hill to the house! Although I was incredibly proud of myself and my car when I did it (smelly tyres!)

We spent the first evening playing board games - some which we had brought, some which were provided - and drank lots of bubbles, rum and gin. The living room seating 10 people very comfortably. The next evening we squeezed 17 in there by moving furniture and getting cosy with everyone! We are all in our 20s so none of us minded sitting on the floor if necessary.

Having brought a few 'boys' they had fun with the fire, it would have been great if we could have had more logs over the weekend as we ended up popping out to buy more. One of our party was enjoying his 'man make fire' alter ego and got excited with throwing logs on so we ran out quite quickly!

On the second day we walked around the farm, up to the church and just took in the views whilst feeling fairly hungover and sorry for ourselves. It is beautiful. My highlight was Kathryn turning up on a quadbike with her 3 adorable children who gave me a homemade cake for my birthday and then as she drove off all turned around and waved 'happy birthday' to me. It was adorable!!!

The second night was party party party! It was great to know we could play music and dance without bothering anyone!

We went to Hay-on-Wye the next day to see the bookshops and the general beauty of the town. And the third night I spent alone with just my partner and me.

Everything was wonderful, I wish we could've stayed longer.

10 Jan 2017
Really glad that you had a good birthday weekend Cat! We will keep that in mind to top up the logs- that wood burner keeps everything very cosy!
Billb0ard
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great place for an outdoorsy family get-together”
Reviewed 31 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We were an extended family group with ages ranging from 18months to 87 years. The house provided flexible accommodation for us: rather than risk my less-than-sprightly mother on the steep stairs we turned the second sitting room, which has a shower room off it, into a bedrrom suite for her, which worked well. There was enough living space for the rest of us in the dining kitchen (where the wifi signal was strongest! We had no mobile signal) or the main sitting room. The house was warm and practical. It is not smart, but smart was not what we wanted. The large enclosed porch was brilliant for dogs, boots, muddy kit etc. The kitchen was generally well equipped. A second large pan would have been useful, and while there was a positively lavish array of plates, mugs, glassware, cutlery etc the relative scarcity of cereal bowls was a bit mystifying! The second fridge in the small utility room (off the lounge) was very useful for storing the gin and tonic :) ; watch out for the slightly eccentric lurch as you open the door. Or maybe that was just me.. hic. We had a bottle fall out of the door and smash. Luckily it wasn't the gin.
Outside space includes a small seating area at the front (less agile party members need to beware of uneven ground), a raised seating area out back (with visiting sheep!) and a garden at the side with lovely views. Getting to this is a bit tricky when wet as there aren't any steps down from the rear patio (would be a useful addition), however there is easier access via a side gate from the driveway.
Access to the house is up a steepish farm track which can be rather rutted after heavy rain, though running repairs were carried out while we were there, so it is obviously maintained. We managed ok with our vehicles, ranging from a vast VW tansporter to a more dinky honda jazz; just don't bring your treasured vintage aston martin and you'll be fine. When I first arrived I found the directions slightly confusing - you need to follow the black arrows - but the other party members seemed to manage Ok so I was probably just being dim.
The house is quite secluded, the nearest supermarket is on the outskirts of Hay, about 6 miles away. So bring supplies with you. We loved the super views and peaceful location and were keen to do lots of walking locally. We were a bit frustrated at first by the almost complete lack of footpath signs, and paths which seemed to exist only on the map and not in reality, so it would be great to have a few accessible routes detailed in the house information pack to get people started while they orientate themselves (we'd happily come back and map them for you ;).). We did find some lovely routes in the end and the views from the moorland behind the house are superb.
The owner Kathryn was absolutely lovely and came to check everything was OK bearing the most enormous cake. She also kindly brought up kindling and logs for the woodburner (yes I know it's supposed to be summer) which we didn't in the end use.
If you're after an outdoorsy break in a beautiful part of the world this could well be the place for you. It is great value for money, considering the size of our party and the fact that it was peak summer season.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
3 Sep 2015
Thank you for your comments, I am glad you survived the rain and had fun! It's always really nice to see such a wide range of ages in parties of visitors, and I am glad that your Mum was comfortable in the second sitting room. Thank you for pointing out the lack of cereal bowls- we will ammend that asap! You are very welcome to come back and help plot out some walking routes, that's a really good idea: maybe a couple of trails for families with sign posts along the way!
Lucy D
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful situation in a relaxed atmosphere.”
Reviewed 13 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Trowley is warm and cosy set in beautiful countryside. The facilities are great. It was easy to feed the 15 guests with the equipment in the kitchen. Great wifi but no phone signal without a short walk from the house. There were complaints about the showers but not from me. We did have a drain blockage from the dishwasher but easily unblocked. Towels were just hand sized so do bring big ones. The dog loved it! It is relaxed place for a super relaxing break. I loved it.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The situation.
Liked least: Blocked drain.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Klaudiaga...
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 for a stay in May 2014

The pictures are not doing justice to this cottage. In real life it is so much better - very old house smelling of old wood and fireplace, beautiful and quirky. You feel a bit like you are entering another era, once you are stepping into the house. It also has a hand written book with history of restoration of it from ruins to today's state - interesting read with old pictures. Kitchen is well equipped and I loved the fact that all of us (12 pple) could seat around one table. Indeed kitchen was the place where we spent most of our time - true heart of the house. We loved the fireplace in the living room and were using it daily. Views and gardens surrounding the house were just stunning, and overall location very quiet and remote - just what you need for relaxing stay in the country. Note that if you are planning to walk from there to Hay - unless it is a one off and a half a day event - it is just a bit too far. We know as one of our friends tried it - and lets just say - he was quite hungry by the time he reached Hay:)
Katherine is a great hostess - it was a pleasure to deal with her as she is very helpful, responsive and genuinly nice - thank you for making our stay so nice! See you again!

Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing