“Dissappointed”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
London, United Kingdom
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I had really high expectations about this hotel. I stayed two times in less than a month was disappointed in both occasions.The first time I stayed in the main building, room was small but OK, nothing special. My main complaint is the bed, I guess the hotel hasn't change the bed since the hotel was opened...very uncomfortable, springs were making noise "jumping" even thought you were still, very bad sleep guranteed!!...terrible for a hotel of this category.
The second time I stayed at the annex building, different style of rooms. Room was spacious, decor was country style. Lightning on the room was really poor and I had to go to the main hotel lobby to do some work as I was unable to read anything on my room. Also, the shower tap was broken and only hot water (and I mean really hot water) was coming out of the shower.
Having said that the country surroundings are spectacular, but I'm not sure I'll pay the premium for a mediocre room.

Room Tip: I've been told the Bridal suite is excellent!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
We are sincerely sorry for your disappointment on your two recent stays and we could have arranged for an extra light in your room so you could have worked from your bedroom. If you have any specific requirements for your next stay please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.
Regards Hilton Dunkeld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Dunfermline
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Room in old part of hotel. Only one small wardrope which was accomodating and ironing board, iron and hairdryer as there were no drawers and no trouser press.We could not use the shower due to there only being a trickle, and I really do not exagerate here so had to bath which took forever to fill due to lack of water pressure. Dinner menu first night I chose Beef Wellington, the first time ever without pate !!! Vacant seat that we went to sit at by the fire after dinner had a reserved sign on it and when I questioned the sign I was told it was for someone important. Surely all guests are entitled to sit were they wish in a public area. When the "important people" arrived they were in jeans and sweaters and sat using laptops. Second night at dinner my father and I had fillet steak which had to be returned as it was rancid. We were informed that the chef had checked the meat and it was infact not good but was due to being cooked on a chargrill and this had affected the flavour. I did not let on that I ran my own catering company for many years and I know when a peice of meat is bad. Also when I asked the waiter to "crumb down" he asked me what I meant. Final complaint was that for the first two days when we visited the leisure suite there was a young spaniel puppy with its owner by the side of the pool and it was incase you are wondering, NOT a guide dog. Pity about the accomodation and food as the setting is stunning and we had beautiful winter weather.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river in the new annex.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Judith K
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
As you know we have had significant correspondence with you both during and after your stay and am sorry to read that you are still unhappy with certain aspects of your stay. We always try to ensure all our guest leave Hilton Dunkeld happy as you will have read in previous reviews and am sorry to read that we did not succeed this time.
Regards Hilton Dunkeld
aberdeen
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hotel has a fantastic setting by the River Tay in the village of Dunkeld. It ticks all the boxes for a traditional Scottish country house hotel with plenty of wood panelling, roaring fires in the lounge areas, leather armchairs, grand staircase, etc. It has beautiful grounds and there are plenty of walks nearby. The swimming pool is a reasonable size and there is also a gym on site.The hotel also offers a number of outdoor activities although we did not have the opportunity to sample them due to our short stay. The standard rooms are not excessively large but are well furnished. The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice; the food in the restaurant is okay but if staying for a few nights one might wish to explore other options (limited to Howie's Bistro, a pricey curry house and Fish & Chips in Dunkeld).

Some parts of the hotel could do with sprucing up, in particular the carpets in some of the corridors are not very clean and need replacing. Also, as noted by some of the other reviews, the convector heaters in the rooms are very noisy. Drinks (including coffees) are on the expensive side and unfortunately no free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Glad you enjoyed staying with us and the country house hotel atmosphere. Just to clarify
Wi-fi is free in the public areas but chargeable in the bedrooms at £10.00 for 24 hours. We are hoping a refurbishment plan will take place this year to replace some carpets and furnishings. We do hope you will return in the future and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Cosy and traditional hotel although bedrooom in modern extension. Staff friendly. Room clean and comfortable. The heater going on and off during the night was disturbing.

Room Tip: Older rooms have a lot of quirky character
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for your positive review, we are assessing the situation with the heaters as the last review also commented.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Returned to the Hilton for another midweek break. Everything was as good as before in this lovely historic old house. There were some minor points which were puzzling, however. We had to ask for help to access the television, and thought some information might have been left in the room to avoid having the most helpful member of staff make the journey to our room. We also asked if there was something wrong with our room heater as it kept coming on and off, with a fan noise which eventually became quite annoying. All heaters are evidently of this sort.
Apart from these minor points, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return again to enjoy the hospitality at this Highland gem.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor following your visit to Hilton Dunkeld. Our staff always strive for excellence and I will pass on your comments to them. We will in addition look at the points you have raised about the heater and the TV in your bedroom and apologise for the inconvience this caused during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Hilton Dunkeld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
1.6 km away
Fonab Castle Hotel
#3 of 18 in Pitlochry
25.1 km away
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!