“Never ever stay here”

Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Never ever stay here”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The website description of the hotel and the insistence of the staff to take the full fee prior to being show to the room gave the impression of a well run hotel. However this was not the experience .
The charge was £55:00 for bed and breakfast. There was no indication upon booking the the hotel was in fact a building site, the room was cold, there was no hot breakfast, the bar was closed and the room dirty. The staff was surly and very rude. There was no electricity on the first morning, and guests could not even have a hot drink.
I am extremely disappointed that when I tried to speak to a hotel manager the reception staff was very rude with no sign of any courtesy or any modicum of customer service. I later discovered that this was in fact the manager/owner.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LutonBus1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My daughter and I were booked to spend one night (November 2011) in two rooms in this hotel. The rooms were booked through LateRooms at a cost of 55 GBP each room including breakfast. On arrival at the hotel I noticed a rubbish skip in the very small car park and on entering reception a prop supporting the ceiling in the reception area, this should have told us enough but we were tired after a long drive and decided to check-in. The male staff member told us that he would have to process our debit or credit cards and there would be a charge of 1 GBP for each transaction, we reluctantly agreed as there had been no mention of this charge on the LateRooms or the hotel websites. We were given the keys to two rooms on the first floor. On entering the corridor that led to our rooms, I noticed that the lights at the far end of the corridor did not appear to work which was annoying because one of our rooms was at the end. On entering the first room the first thing I noticed was a very strong chemical smell and it was extremely hot. The room was scruffy, the furniture worn, the TV didn't work, there was patches of mould on the walls & celing in the showeroom, no soap had been provided and the electric shower switch extension cord was missing. We walked along the dark corridor to the other room passing, on our left, dooways that had been blocked up with plasterboard and we noticed build debris on the carpet ( was this why the lights were off to hide the building work?). The second room was worse first than the first room, it was cold (the windows didn't close properly), there were huge cracks in the walls, patches of mould on the showeroom ceiling and walls. The furniture was worn and scruffy and there was a line of black dust on a coaxial cable socket on the external wall above one of the beds (see photo). I returned to my car and retrieved my digital camera and took some photos. Then my daughter and I returned to the reception area and stated that we were not happy with the standard of our rooms. The male staff member quickly got very defensive and had an excuse for every item that we bought to his attention. At no time did he offer us alternative rooms or did he offer to view the rooms to see what we were concerned about. In the end we said that we would not be staying and he stated that we would still be charged for the rooms because he could now not re-let them. I asked for a refund on the grounds of poor standard of the rooms and I was refused. I have since written to the manager of the the Stockwood hotel asking for a refund and the reasons for not staying in the hotel but to date I have not had an answer. I think that the standard of the rooms did not justify the charges and the fact that refurbishment work was being carried out should have been posted on the hotels website and the LateRooms website. I have complained to Late Rooms and they have defended the hotel !

Room Tip: Insist on viewing the rooms before parting with any money.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Durek

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I agree with every damning review of this hotel. The only thing that was acceptible was the bedstheets: they were clean. The breakfast was passable also; the kitchen attendant was alert, busy and not unfreindly. I could hold my nose at the many other offences to our paid money for service rendered except that the staff were very hostile despite the superficial politeness. When my friend and I tried to complain civily about some of the more egregious service offences (especially the fact that our shower didn't work!!) the REAL attitude of the desk staff emerged; they were reactionary and disrespectful in the extreme, in fact outright HOSTILE. Prepare for that, dear reader...

Room Tip: I recommend NO room as I recommend NO night stay there
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allahahaha
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I agree with the other reviews, I found the guy on reception argumentative! The room extremely cramped, walls far too thin, very shabby, toilet ran out of toilet paper, no soap, bed linen extremely old, had the worst nights sleep, the list is endless, find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Carrie0123
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Single room very poor quality. Evidence of damp. Decor poor. wash basin poor.
Bed awful. No onsuite. Could not recommend this hotel and would avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo