“Long established fish and chip shop”

Bampton Street Fish Bar
Ranked #49 of 100 Restaurants in Minehead
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Very good tasty fish and chips which have been made there for as long as I can remember. The quality has always been consistently good and the best in Minehead

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

can't believe food can be this good.
why oh why can't others match the exceptionally high standards provided here.
would rate this as the best i've ever had any where in the uk.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Every Saturday evening I get fish and chips for an elderly client of mine, it is the only hot meal she will eat. I went to bampton Street street fish bar for a change and it was a big mistake. First of all they only do the O.A.P special at lunchtime unlike other places so the meal was already £2 more expensive. When I plated up the cod and chips at home it was horrid, the fish batter was so greasy that when I picked the fish up it all fell apart, not one bit of it was crispy. The grease from the fish had then worked its way through the chips on the short drive back making them very soggy. They were also very brown. Three quarters of the meal went into the bin and we were both very disappointed. I will definitely not be returning here.

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

What a shame we 've always been here when we visit the area and look forward to it but not again ! Horrible chips that tasted 're heated many times and were dark brown and fish that was not special at all
What a shame as up until now always looked forward to a visit here

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Chose to walk the slight extra distance from the seafront after reading reviews for here.
Arrived 5 minutes before closing time at end of lunchtime service and were greeted pleasantly. Everything was cooked to order, and very good it was too.
One review I saw here talked about dark coloured chips, which we received too. Absolutely nothing wrong there, it was the type of oil used (groundnut) and they were excellent quality, as were the 3 medium-sized Haddock pieces ordered.
I'd have liked the mushy pea 'sauce' to be a bit thicker for my preference, but taste was as it should be.
Recommended to friends already and next time we visit Minehead, I'll happily revisit Bampton St. for my fish and chips.