“A pleasure to visit”
Review of Cowper Arms

Cowper Arms
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A friendly, welcoming pub in the heart of Digswell. Located right next to Welwyn North train station, offering a range of drinks including McMullen's ales and a selection of wines. And fresh homemade food from our new menu and ever changing specials list - (with roasts on Sundays).
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Lunched at The Cowpers...great food...very attentive and friendly staff, in particular a nice lady (Mel) looked after us...made us feel very welcome.

Will go back again.

1  Thank Richard W
Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at Cowper Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your review.

I have passed on your kind words to Mel who sends her thanks. and I will make sure that the whole team sees them.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The service in this place has really gone downhill in the last 6 months despite having a more than enough waiting staff. We visited on a Sunday at 6pm for dinner to celebrate our sons 10th birthday as a family and most of our table chose the Sunday roast. After ordering we were told there was no lamb or beef left so we re ordered.
A large party left shortly after we arrived and as the waitresses started to clear the tables, she saw a left over piece of birthday cake which she promptly ate and carried on clearing!
After 45 minutes 3 plates of food arrived for our table of 8, and in that time we had gone to the bar ourselves to order rounds of drinks as we hadn't been asked if we would like any, 5 minutes later after the starving lucky 3 had received their meals and picked at them ,the meals got whisked away as it turned out they were for the table behind us that had also waited forever and had received just half of their order. We then waited a further 25 minutes for our food, with no offer of a complimentary round of drinks or an update on the situation or very least an apology despite the large number of table staff wandering around. The food arrived after waiting over an hour luke warm and with 70% being left over from lunchtime after receiving a good session in the microwave.
The upshot of this resulted in the potatoes being powder dry, flabby and flat yorshires were served, although one or two were okay and the veg portions were not sufficient for a table of 8... probably three tablespoons full of peas were offered between 8. The whole thing was quite embarrassing as all of the other tables in our section were waiting with no updates.
Needless to say we all ate as fast as we could, turned down the offer of a free dessert for our son who's 10th birthday it was and couldn't wait to go home. There was no offer of a reduction of our bill and I actually had to go to the bar again to settle it as after sitting there for a further 5-10 minutes no one came to take our money. It ruined our 10 year olds birthday dinner and we will never go here again. I sincerely hope the Chequers reply and offer me a full refund, I'll be monitoring this comment and will update accordingly.

4  Thank Abi P

Hi Abi,

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave some feedback.

I'm sorry that your visit was so disappointing.

We have been, and will be, looking at issues raised in this review in our training in future. Sometimes unavoidable situations like long waits for food and running out of stock (particularly items only on the menu one day a week towards the end of that day) but we train all staff to communicate these issues to our customers as soon as possible and offer compensation and suggestions to ease the situation. It looks like on this occassion we failed to do that, but we will be looking into why that happened and how we can prevent this in future. I am sorry that it had ruined your experience on that day. We will always strive in future to provide a high standard of service even during these busy periods and uphold the utmost standards of professionalism at all times (not eating cake!).

Please allow me to set the record straight that we do not microwave our Sunday roasts. Our potatoes and yorkshires are cooked in fresh batches throughout the day. And we offer a side bowl of mixed veg between every two roast dinners as customer feedback has shown this to offer the best value with the least wastage. I hope you recieved the amount you should have. We will always be willing to provide extra veg if the standard offering is not enough. We will be running quality checks against what you describe in your review, to ensure nobody gets food that is below our usual high standards.

Clearly we aim to be much better than we were on this occasion and I offer my sincere apologies that your evening was ruined. I hope that you will choose to join us again so that we have the chance to show you that this bad experience is not a typical visit to the Cowper Arms.

Thanks

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Went for Sunday roast, was served another tables food which got taken away. Waited over an hour for anything resembling food.

Even had to wait to pay.

No excuse for awful service.

1  Thank Matt P
Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at Cowper Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Hi Matt

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave some feedback.

I am sorry to hear that a few mistakes happened during your visit and that the service was not as attentive as it should have been.

We work hard to deliver a high standard of service and while delays do sometimes happen, we try to communicate this to guests before seating them and offer compensation. I am sorry that this appears to not have been the case with your visit.

I hope you will join us again so that we have the opportunity to show you the higher standards we are capable of.

Thanks

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Our walking group came on Wednesday for lunch after a walk in the area. We had advised the management in advance and they were happy for us to park in their substantial car park. We downloaded their (16 page!) menu and posted our choices through their letter box as we left at 10am, then called them 15 minutes before we returned so they could get things cooking.
Our food was well cooked, tasty and good value and the staff seemed genuinely concerned that our food was to our liking.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed the sticky chicken and salad and my cod and chips were delicious,though I prefer it when the fish is skinned (hence 4 not 5 stars)
We will certainly return.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Very friendly pub, cracking atmosphere, reasonable prices, the pub was buzzing, small selection of beers on tap. All in all, a great night out

Hi David

Thanks for your kind words.

I am glad that you had a good time at the Cowper Arms and caught us on a night with a buzzing atmosphere, they are always the best nights. I'm glad you liked the beers on tap too. We have a new beer every month (give or take) so I hope you'll come back and try the next one soon.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards