All reviews tapas stable block wing mirrors four poster bed spanish owner sparkling water well stocked bar off street parking colchester town bay window car park saturday night town centre location small hotel the hotel manager north hill full english
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Excellent town centre location. Although the window in our room was too high to see from the room itself was spacious with a very good, large shower. Friendly staff and a cracking breakfast. Would definitely stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank osterleybob
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Stayed in June 2017 on business.

Parking was okay, hotel is a complete labyrinth due to extension upon extension of a period building.

I stayed here as the North Hill Hotel was full (great place to stay) and somehow wished that I had booked into the Hilton - but I have short arms and deep pockets.

My room was out at the back, hard to work properly but at least away from the main road. Staff were friendly but mildly incompetent. Well meaning but I have experienced so much better both in Colchester and elsewhere.

But at the time of booking it was the best option at £97 - £30 too much!

Room tip: Get a rear room, otherwise the Essex boy racers and motorbikes will keep you awake.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank MagicH1961
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the blue ivy hotel with my partner, a last minute booking.
Had a welcoming greeting and was made to feel at home instantly!
Very clean room with excellent facility's.
Comfy bed and we both had a great nights sleep after stuffing ourselves with a fantastic tapas meal.
The breakfast was a nice surprise( unlike the breakfast in a big hotel chain), included in the hotel price was awesome.
Over all...a great place to stay, very clean and good value for money, would definately recommend...thank you blue ivy!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I booked a table for seven members of my family for Sunday Lunch. We pre-ordered a vegetarian meal and three fish dinners as the manager suggested that we give them notice so they could order fresh fish (Sea Bass) in advance. The other three guests had the roast beef.

All of the food, service and atmosphere was excellent, and the price was very reasonable. We will certainly return to sample the tapas and paella that is the speciality of the restaurant based on our weekend experience. Recommended!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

I was in Colchester for the hottest week of the year so far and purely for business. The Blue Ivy Hotel was perfect for my purposes, as my room was air conditioned, comfortable enough to allow for a good night's sleep and roomy enough to allow me to work in the evening. As such, the room was well-appointed with high quality fittings. It was also well-provisioned, with fresh water, tea and coffee at my disposal.

Breakfast was delicious if you like a full English, but cereals were available as well. The breakfast room was nicely-appointed and I had a table in the bay window that allowed me to watch the people passing by - not quite 'people watching' in Rome or Paris, but still a nice touch to the day!

The owner was a very nice chap to talk to and all of the staff were friendly.

It is located just off the High Street, with all of its establishments, but is quiet at night.

The off-street parking is useful, but there's a very narrow entrance (it was designed for coaches), so enter with care!

In short, a lovely place that I will return to.

Date of stay: June 2017