All reviews nespresso machine complimentary mini bar junior suite l'occitane toiletries romance package cloisters restaurant fruit juice and water underfloor heating afternoon tea turn down service beautiful hotel modern twist marble bathroom an excellent dinner rose petals high street colchester castle
Reviewed 8 October 2018

Returning to Greyfriars after a wonderful stay late last year. I opted for the Romance package as a treat for my partner before he started a new job. I was emailed 2 days before arrival to confirm our eta. I thought this was a nice touch so our room would be ready upon arrival and have the little extras ready for us (canapes, bottle of prosecco ect).

We arrived around 2.45pm parked up in gated car park and went to reception to check it. We advised the receptionist that we would be popping into the town and would be back shortly. We arrived back to our room around 3.30pm ish- it was beautifully decorated with fresh rose petals and swan towels. We also had to heart shaped macaroons which was a nice touch. However no prosecco or canapes. I was thoroughly disappointed but we returned to our car to get our cases and I asked the receptionist for the extras to be brought to our room.

The wine arrived within 5 minutes however the canapes arrived 2 hours later! The room itself is wonderful and I would definitely recommend and return but the staff to to be more prompt. We also dined into the hotels restaurant (see their page for my reveiw on that). We chose to have breakfast in bed the next morning which arrived prompt and was very tasty. Upon check out 2 drinks had been added to our room bill. The receptionist checked and we had actually paid from them with our dinner the night before.

All in all a wonderful hotel with everything you need but I believe they could be a little more customer focused to add a little more sparkle.

Room Tip: Room 14 with a copper bath
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Adjacent to the beautiful park and a short walk to the town centre this is a lovely hotel. Modern mixed with history and well positioned. Staff were charming and very helpful. Offers a decent restaurant and a nice cozy bar area with some wicked cocktails. Will definitely go back.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We first visited GreyFriars when it first opened and it was great, lovely to have another place in Town to visit.
Subsequent return visits revealed the food standard had dropped dramatically.

Friday saw us return for another try.
The food was back to bring really lovely. I would go as far as to say it runs Grain very close.
I just hope they can keep it up and progress it further.
For the record our courses were fish and they were amazing.

Just a note on the service at the bar, some effort needs to go in there as that service was poor.

Stayed: October 2018
Reviewed 1 October 2018

We Stayed over on A Saturday night while visiting friends.
Hotel is Situated at the bottom of the High Street not far from the Castle. We drove where you access car park from the back of the building.
We arrived early so left Car and went around the Town before being able to check in.
Lovely Hotel set over two floors. We were allocated room on 1st Floor.
Great double room with lots of added extras. Nespresso machine, Hair Dryer, Large En suite with Double Shower. Very Comfy Bed.
We had breakfast in the morning and you have a Continental selection with Hot food also available. All very nice.
Just a 5 minute walk to the castle and to the bottom of the high street.
Well worth a stay if in Colchester

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2018

This hotel is the perfect base for exploring Colchester as it is a short walk from the City centre. It is beautifully furnished and the staff are really friendly and helpful. We were made to feel very welcome and felt very comfortable in our double room. Our room did not have a good view but the decor of the room was lush so it really didn't matter. We were on the first floor and there was a lift we could use. The room did not have a bath but there was a soaker shower which was great. The breakfast was fantastic! We would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple