All reviews nespresso machine complimentary mini bar junior suite l'occitane toiletries copper bath cloisters restaurant fruit juice and water turn down service beautiful hotel modern twist underfloor heating afternoon tea huge bathroom an excellent dinner rose petals colchester castle high street
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

A lovely hotel and restaurant. My room was up 2 flights of stairs and there was no lift, but I was in the 'extension' rather than the main building but this wasn't a problem for me. But the room was beautifully appointed, with every extra that you could think of. Coffee machine, complimentary mini bar, toiletries etc. Nothing was missing. Then I had a bathroom bigger then my bedroom at home. It was massive. Large bath, as well as a shower. And all for a reasonable price especially considering how close to town it is. And the restaurant food was amazing and well priced. I will be going back.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2018

I'm not a big fan of afternoon teas as I don't really like sweet things. However, my wife pointed out that GreyFriars do a Gentleman's Afternoon Tea as well as the cakey one. So, having read the menu full of savoury things with nothing sweet in sight and as it was our wedding anniversary I agreed that we have one Afternoon tea with cakes for my wife and one Gentleman's Afternoon Tea for me. The service was OK, and the Rose room is pleasant enough. The sandwich fillings, same for both teas, are fairly standard and are well presented. However, the bread is processed and bland and there is so little filling that the flavour is barely detectable. The savouries on the menu; scotch egg, beef wellington, chicken croquette and prawn cocktail sounded good and substantial. They tasted alright but the whole lot could probably have been consumed in one mouthful! Full marks for making the smallest scotch egg I've ever seen. On to the scones, two on offer, one bacon and one plain, served with two small discs of truffle butter. Things were looking up. Oh no! Both scones were made with a sweet scone mix. Yuk! The only saving grace was that, at the end of the ordeal, they presented us with a plate iced with "Happy Anniversary" and two sweet Truffles. What’s for dinner?

Room Tip: We didn't stay
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2018

We stayed at the hotel for one night. The receptionist was very friendly and polite. Our room was very clean and had everything we needed we loved the coffee machine. We used the bar and the staff were very polite and friendly. Our breakfast was great with so much choice. The hotel and it's staff made us feel so welcome. We will definitely be returning for another visit.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2018

This is a beautiful hotel but such a shame that it is let down badly by it's Reception staff. My husband and I booked a double room at roughly the same time as our daughter and her husband-to-be did and we were staying the night of their wedding. A few days before the event our daughter was phoned by the hotel Reception and offered an upgrade to their room as it was their wedding day. When all four of us arrived together the receptionist had no idea which room was which, which would have been allocated to the happy couple or which room was the better of the two. She thought it over for a while, clearly at a loss, and then decided that we would have this room and they would have that room. As it was late we had no time to compare rooms but I was concerned and woke up still concerned that our room, which was spacious with a massive bed and with marble steps leading down to a huge bathroom, may be the better of the two. However, I was eager to find out just how much better their superior upgraded room must be than our beautiful room. Needless to say, when we entered their room we were deflated. We, the parents, had spent the night in their room and they had a small double bed and to be honest nothing spectacular about the room at all. I obviously took this up with the morning Receptionist who, unlike the previous Receptionist who didn't have a clue what she was doing, was adamant that their room was the better one, that she was right and we were wrong. To cap it all when we received our bill they had charged an extra £20 for the upgraded room. Who ever heard of an upgrade being offered and then, without any mention of it, being charged for it! Despite checking the previous evening that the two rooms were the same price, and that was the price quoted when we booked the rooms, the Receptionist was having none of it and insisted that we pay the full amount. To say we are all disappointed is an understatement. Subsequently being offered a paltrey refund from the Manager will never compensate for the fact that the bridal couple didn't get their special room after all; there will never be another chance. It was an upsetting end to a wonderful day. This is not purely a one-off mistake. The staff obviously don't know which rooms are which despite having had weeks to get their act together.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 29 August 2018

I booked two nights at the GreyFriars Hotel two weeks ago for me and my husband. From booking to checking out the staff were helpful and pleasant and efficient. Our room was lovely, but the bathroom was the real star. I requested a nice shower and they didn’t disappoint. We had a beautiful double shower that had just the right pressure. We were lucky enough to have good weather on two of our three days so we made good use of the large terrace. I found the terrace very relaxing which is a treat to find in a hotel in the town centre. The cocktails were fabulous and a similar price as many places with poor quality cocktails. We had dinner one evening the restaurant. It was beautiful meal and the staff were excellent. The only thing was the music which was the same as the music at breakfast. It was military style music from around the 1940’s (I think). I didn’t enjoy in at breakfast but could see how some people would. However it really wasn’t good for a romantic meal out. We had a light lunch on the terrace and I had the cheese on toast. That was the only disappointing thing I had. The toast was a small piece of generic white sliced bread. I would have expected better quality bread from a hotel where everything else was so well done.
On the one rainy day the hotel lent us a nice big umbrella, which was a nice touch. We had a great stay.

Stayed: August 2018