All reviews the bar lounge area creaky floorboards lots of character historic building breakfast was excellent stayed here for one night anthony
Reviewed 27 September 2018

I stayed here overnight and had a great stay. It's a very historic building, with fragments of medieval walling and even Roman remains in the cellar, which unfortunately are not currently visible to the public. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The downstairs bar and reception area gets a bit noisy and lively with locals, and smokers standing outside, but in a way it adds to the atmosphere. Great location if you want to explore the old Roman town of Colchester and stay somewhere central. There is a car park, but if you haven't got any heavy luggage and don't mind a short walk it's cheaper to leave your car in the Middleborough long stay car park (which only costs 50p overnight).

Room Tip: I would imagine that rooms not facing the High Street are quieter. Mine faced the rear car park and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

It is many years since I stayed here, and I was looking forward to coming back as it is an old, quirky hotel that used to be really nice, with excellent food. Unfortunately the years have not been kind. It is now just tired and tatty. Added to which there was no food available after 5 pm, which was not mentioned when booking. The suggestion from the receptionist that McDonalds was up the road was not welcome after a long journey! The bedroom was ok, but nothing special. They forgot to order my newspaper. Breakfast took ages even though I was the only guest. It needs to improve fast. I hope it does because it oozes history and could be lovely again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Shower dribbles out and in the room is a lodger A mouse. parking 9.50 per 24 hours. Room is really hot even with window open no air con. Bath has more chips in it than a chip shop. NO plugs near bed just an extension lead over a meter away.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Only went in for morning coffee on this occasion but we have stayed here many times. Nostalgia took us back as we haven’t been to the George for a number of years, but have very good memories of a great location, good food, clean, well decorated, comfortable, great atmosphere, great staff, well managed, 4 star venue.

What has happened? Apart from the location and good scones non of this now applies.

The toilets were a particular nightmare, extremely dirty and run down, the cleaners obviously don’t look behind the doors when they clean.
Time for the owners to get their act together!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2018

After a long drive from Glasgow, I was checked in to the George Hotel early Sunday evening quickly with the basic info handed over. Receptionist was very friendly and polite, and answered my questions happily.

I've been here 3 nights so far, and my company booked me a "mini double" room. If you want an actual double room with space, the mini is not the one for you. The room is quite small but perfect for my needs so I have no issues with that.

The room has old fashioned furniture which is a really nice touch, plenty lighting and sockets which is great.The old chandelier style lighting is a pleasant added touch and interesting pictures on the wall.

As other visitors have said, there are aspects that are a little run down, my carpet and rug has old stains but the room smells fresh and the housekeeping team do a thorough job each day. My room is always tidy, clean and fresh when I come back later in the day.

On the downside, the bath is peeling around the plug so I've only been using the shower, it's a good shower though which has good pressure and is easy to control.. I'm above what seems to be vents of sorts as there is a constant loud fan noise throughout the night.

The stairs and floors are creaky but it just adds to the character as this really is an old hotel.

Being a few floors up, my room is constantly roasting, probably from the heat below rising! Thankfully there is a fan provided in my room so I've had this on anytime I'm in the room as it can be stuffy.

Points worth noting;
1. If you have mobility issues there doesn't seem to be any lifts, and the stairs from first floor up are quite narrow and steep. I'm in my 30s, no mobility issues and struggled to get up with my case! Therefore worth asking for a lower floor.

2. If you are travelling by car, be warned the car park is pay and display and not cheap. It is run by an external company however, not the hotel owners,and you are £9.50 for anytime over 3 hours. The meter advertises an app you can download to pay through your phone, which, if you are like me and don't carry much change, could be perfect...if the app worked (seems I'm not the only one who has had issues with this).

3. Wifi if you need it can be hit and miss, it does work, just bear with it.

4. They are doing a major refurb so although other reviews may look poor and discuss points I've maybe mentioned in passing above, they are putting the funds into doing up the rooms which can only be a good thing!

Well worth a visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor if you have mobility issues!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business