All reviews beefeater next door busy road a ground floor room room was clean air con happily stay again train station all you can eat car park plenty of parking good size nice stay tea and coffee member of staff receptionist inns mel
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

Mel the receptionist was very efficient and welcoming.
The hotel is on a very busy road but I had an excellent nights sleep.
I advise you to book a table at the beefeater next door if you intend to eat there as it can be very busy. But be warned I experienced very slow service as they didn't have enough staff for the amount of tables.
Aside from that the hotel was clean and tidy.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank JulieLaw64
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Despite being on a busy roundabout and main junction, due to the design of this Premier Inn the bedrooms face away from the road and are suprisingly quite. The room was the normal Premier Inn quality which was a good standard, clean, warm and comfortable. The staff on duty was very pleasent and helpful, it is located next door to a Beefeater so eating out no problem. The location is also very good with the very pleasent castle park just a few minutes walk away which joins the main town centre.

Room Tip: Higher the number of the room the further away from busy road.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

Stayed at this premier inn on 10th Feb as it was my 1yr anniversary with my boyfriend. Ended up checking in later than planned as I had to take a detour to A&E beforehand. Eventually arrived at the hotel at 6pm on crutches after spraining my ankle. The receptionist who I believe was called George greeted me and proceeded to check me in. He also appeared to be being observed by a trainee. Noticing I was on crutches and that I was booked into an upstairs room asked if I would prefer a downstairs room. Looked on system and found room 7 was available which also happened to be a disabled room. He had trouble transferring us so gave me the key, put a note on the room that it was occupied and said he'd notify the night receptionist of the change so as not to keep me waiting and uncomfortable. The room and bathroom was spotless, spacious and being a disabled room was very handy especially when showering as I could use the seat. Room had a couple maintenance issues, loose plug by bed and there was no lighting in entrance area of room when using switches by door so quite dark. Eventually found a switch near beds that switched a light facing entrance that lit it up a bit more but would be better if there was a light actually within entrance with a switch there also. Went for a meal in Beefeater next door. Had to wait a while to be seated but was served by a very attentive lady called Stacey and food was lush. Overall a great stay just slightly ruined the night by spraining my ankle beforehand. Would definitely return and recommend.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Larissa N
Reviewed 27 January 2016 via mobile

Good night guarantee? Absolute rubbish. Been refused a refund after finding blood stains on our bed. Heating was on at 28, could only manage to turn it down to 17, which is still way too hot.
We had arrived at about 5:30pm, literally put our bags in our room and had left to go out with friends, we had arrived back to our room at about 2am, and we was in our pyjamas ready to get into bed as we noticed the stains, no phone in the room so no way to report our problems, so we decided to sleep with one less pillow which effected our sleep, and it was way too hot.
We reported these issues as we left, and was basically told we was lying about arriving at 2am as we had checked in at 5:30pm, and was told we should have noticed the blood stains then, what a joke. Check your cctv.
Would not stay here or any other premier inn again, absolute joke and your good night guarantee is absolute rubbish. Never been so disappointed and angry about staying at a hotel in my life.
Disgraceful.

Stayed: January 2016
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Colchester Cowdray Avenue (A133) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2016

Hi Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.At Premier Inn it is our aim is to make our guests feel brilliant through a great night’s sleep, and I apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Your experience was far below our usual high standards. Please be assured that your feedback is very important as it enables us to improve standards. Please private message your review details including your reservation number and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kind Regards
Lucy

Online Customer Service

Reviewed 21 January 2016

Have stayed here twice before and the last time was not very pleasurable, squeaky bed, lot of noise from car park and the room was dusty. Still waiting for a response from the manager despite complaining on leaving and ringing a few days later.
This time the stay was great. Different room which was clean and no noise. The lady on reception (Jen/m) was so helpful and polite.
The Inn is in a perfect position for the train station, 8 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the top of the stairs where the access door is. You can hear the door open and close everytime
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
ColchesterCowdray, Manager at Premier Inn Colchester Cowdray Avenue (A133) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2016

Good Morning

Thank you for your review i am so pleased that you had a great stay and we have restored your faith in staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again soon. on your previous stay your feedback is very important to us on how we can improve our guests stay with a brilliant night sleep, if you could send me the details of your previous stay so i can look in to the Squeeky bed that would be great.

thank you again for staying with us.

Crystal