Wivenhoe House(Wivenhoe)
USD 177
Holiday Inn Express Colchester(Dedham)(Great Value!)
USD 91
A Hideaway Retreat(Colchester)
USD 101
USD 98
Victory at Mersea(Mersea Island)
USD 189
USD 183
Holiday Inn Colchester(Eight Ash Green)
USD 234
USD 195
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
East Gate Inn(Colchester)
USD 80
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
The Railway Sleeper Lodge(Colchester)(Great Value!)
USD 105
Premier Inn Colchester (A12) Hotel(Colchester)(Great Value!)
USD 89
PremierInn.com
USD 126
TripAdvisor
USD 121
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmini suitehigh streetncp car parktown centresaturday nightfull englishcooked to orderstaying at this hotelstayed for one nightcooked breakfasthotel guestsvisiting colchestercomfortable stayfront of housecomfy bedfriendly hotelgreat shower
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My daughter (12) was due to attend a Gymnastic comp in Colchester so we decided to book a 2 night stay (fri - sunday) at this establishment and do some Christmas shopping at the same time. Unfortunatey, my daughter was unwell for a few days before our visit but, we decided to go anyway (there was the option to cancel before a certain time with no charge) and see how we fared.

We arrived around 7pm at the hotel and whilst front of house is very small (straight into the small bar & reception area) someone was quick to attend to our reservation and take us to our room.

Our room was at the back of the hotel and was very secure, with a coded entrance into this building and then a corridor off of this before we got to our room. Our room was fairly spacious, with a desk & chair, plenty of hanging space, 2 bedside tables & wall mounted tv with an array of channels, free wifi and a big enough bed for us two.

The bathroom was huge, with a bath (middle taps) and a separate shower, water was constantly hot from both appliance (my daughter took quite a few of these over our 2 night stay). It had a very luxurious feel to this bathroom & provided complimentary shower gels etc, towels were very soft & plenty were provided.

We decided to have room service on the friday night, the food was quick to arrive & was hot & plenty of it.

My daughter had eaten, had a hot bath & we were both in bed by 9pm. The tv was easy to use but we fell asleep (i put a shut down time on the tv) so quickly as bed was so comfortable and cosy.

Saturday morning we were up early and into the restaurant for breakfast, there wasn't too much choice with regards to help yourself cereal & fruit (it was whole ie apple, orange, banana) but my daughter has some toast. When my order for a cooked breakfast was taken I explained my daughter was under the weather & could they do her a bowl of chopped fresh fruit, this was met with "no problem" and it certainly wasn't. It was presented quickly and there was a lot of difference fruits in there, daughter was very happy and so was I with my fresh, hot cooked breakfast & plenty of hot & cold drinks supplied.

We went into the town for the day, which we both loved, so many shops, cafes etc and we popped back to the hotel a couple of times for my daughter to rest up and for quick snacks & coffee & fresh juice.

Our hallway was cleared of the previous evenings dinner & the room was made up, I had made our bed before we went out but it was obvious it had been remade, and towels replenished etc.

We ate at the hotel in the evening, I had booked a table for around 7pm and although the restaurant wasn't overly busy, the conservatory area was as they was holding a wedding dinner but, this did not detract from the service we received. Our service was quick, polite, food was hot etc.

We was back in our room by 830pm.

Some wedding guests sat outside for the odd cigarette, chat & drink and although we could hear them from our room it didn't cause us any problem and we were again asleep by 10pm.

Breakfast on the sunday was a repeat of Saturday, a huge bowl of fresh fruits and toast & cooked breakfast for me.

My daughter had perked up but was still not great & the hotel agreed to extend our stay in our room on the sunday until 1pm which was when we had to leave to get to the gymnastic comp. They also looked after our luggage and xmas shopping until after the comp and I picked this up around 9pm. The hotel offered us the late check out totally free of charge.

I cannot fault this hotel or its restaurant at all and hope to book there a couple more times this year when attended my daughters gym comps.

The staff were so helpful & this eased my stress levels re my daughters health, could she compete etc.

I would recommend a visit and a stay at this hotel any time, you will be treated with such good care and will want to return like we do.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Hotel seemed nice, staff were without exception excellent. Our room was good, without being outstanding (and that was with an upgrade as our room wasn't ready on arrival - this was sorted very quickly and with minimal fuss). Location is superb, just a few minutes walk to everything we wanted. Slightly thin walls meant could hear other guests returning to rooms in the night, but nothing too untoward and generally quiet. Breakfast certainly did the job. All in all would recommend and fairly good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed for the third time in this nice hotel in the middle of Colchester. We have rated this hotel highly in the past for its clean rooms and kind staff.
This time, though, we were put in a tiny, so called double, room very high up in the main hotel building. We had asked for a room at the back, which this was. However, it was so small there was not even room for a chair! So now, I suggest that you not only ask for a room at the back, but check the size before you book!
Otherwise, just as good as previously.

Stayed: January 2018
ColchesterRob, Owner at The North Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Hi Gill,
Thanks for your response (and of course your previous very positive ones!)
We do have quite a selection of rooms at the hotel and as you stated everything with regards to cleanliness and service is as good in them all. There are some smaller ones and it's always good when you check in to see if upgraded rooms are available. They can cost a little more but of course you get a larger room and some other extras.
Next time you come we will certainly do our best to get you back in one of your preferred rooms.

Many thanks
Rob

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

WE Stayed here for two nights,a last minute booking in a standard double.The positives,the hotel is clean throughout and gives the impression of attention to detail,some of the staff are friendly enough others not so,we were allocated room 1 which in itself was adequate enough for our needs at the time and facing the road we expected some ńoise,what we did not realise was the other guest plodding up and down the stairs it was horrendous and its all very well providing hear plugs but during the night the sound of furniture being moved about,awfull first nigh, I would reqeust a room at the rear nxt time.The brealfast on offer was varied and freshly cooked,we also had dinner which met our expectations,staff in the restaurant helpfull and polite especially the young gentleman,overall We would stay again as the loctation is just right .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank antony n
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Great hotel with very helpful staff. The hotel is in the centre of town just off high street surrounded by restaurants, no parking available but a large NCP car park less then two minutes walk.
Went for breakfast a little late as did a lot of people which meant a wait for the cooked breakfast but was well worth the wait.
Would definitely recommend.