1,385 results
All reviews bridge restaurant handpicked hotels hand picked hotels great chamber afternoon tea beautiful hotel cream tea beautiful grounds historic building wonderful weekend the main house lots of character evening meal lounge area fine dining sandwiches poached eggs
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We returned here and it didn’t disappoint our room was lovely and clean with a view out to the front courtyard ( we were opposite our room from last time) we had a friendly welcome on checking in, we went straight to the pool busier than last time but still used jacuzzi,steam room ok we had pre booked the restaurant as it gets busy and again the food was lovely staff friendly and courteous. Breakfast was lovely and not rushed another great stay can’t wait to return

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for posting a fantastic review. I am delighted you had a great stay and that you were able to utilise all the facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Hal Hotel & Spa very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our group of 14 try and have a break away together every year and we are just back from our weekend at New Hall. We had very good service from Klaudia in Events who made sure we had everything we needed. It was lovely to have a room for dinner by ourselves and we enjoyed drinks and delicious canapes before our meals. Dinner was very good.
Everyone was happy with their rooms. My husband and I had Krug room which was very spacious with a modern bathroom. We also saw Sirius and Clarice rooms which are also huge and full of character.
Ethan gave us the historical tour with great attention to detail and we loved seeing the 17th century poetry carved into the glass windows upstairs.
The pool area was busy on a Saturday evening but all was good overall.
Breakfast was also good and one thing we remarked on is that although it is a medium-sized hotel and busy, we could still find space by ourselves.
We really enjoyed playing pitch and putt !
The moated building is very interesting and beautiful with the lillies and visiting heron. You would not know you are so close to a built up area once in the hotel grounds.
We had a very good time and would consider booking again for next years' weekend break.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends

I am grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your group get together in September. I am delighted that everyone had a good time and I do hope we can look after you again in 2019. Thank you for your kind comments about Klaudia and Ethan and I will thank them personally for being highlighted in your review. Thank you again for your lovely feedback.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having lived in and around Sutton Coldfield for most of my life, New Hall Hotel has an almost legendary reputation as one of THE top hotels in the area. These legends speak of it being one of Tina Turner’s favourite hotels in the world, and of the room that was especially converted for Luciano Pavarotti. The last time I was at New Hall Hotel was around 18 years ago, where the immaculate silver service, outstanding food and amazing wine list is a memory that still lingers. Back then, I had one of the top three steaks I’ve ever had, and a glass of vintage port so good I can still taste it today.

When asked if it would be a suitable meeting place for a once-in-a-decade family reunion, I naturally agreed it would be perfect.

That was then. This is now…

Returning to New Hall Hotel after a decade and a half for the family reunion lunch event (there was a dozen of us), I was pleased to see that one of the UK’s oldest constantly-inhabited moated manor houses still has the ‘wow factor’, drenched in history and nestled in beautiful grounds – it’s difficult to tell you’re in the middle of the West Midlands conurbation. The splendid frontage of the original house still inspires thoughts of noble families from times past, and suggests an old-world quality that only old money can truly appreciate… but, sadly, that’s where the impressiveness and thoughts of high end luxury end.

The staff were polite enough, and the bar pleasant (certainly the one where we were sitting, there may be another bar), though the selection behind it was lacking somewhat (no cask ales, for example). We chatted and browsed the menu whilst we waited for our table to be made ready.

The menu is simple, and had very few choices: This isn’t necessarily a bad thing – many restaurants try to be all things to all men, and at the higher end of the luxury scale one tends to find that a brief menu usually means excellent quality as the expert chef concentrates on a few dishes done well. I had high hopes, especially given my previous amazing experience at New Hall Hotel!

Sadly, when the meals arrived, it was very much in the style of a Harvester desperately trying to become a gastropub. The starter was OK (pressed ham hock, served with ale mayonnaise), but the main course was particularly disappointing.

I opted for the fish and chips, expecting an intriguing variation on the theme… but it was literally just that. The fish was reasonably good, but no better than any high street pub or chip shop, and the chips were a little disappointing (a mix of overcooked and limp, presumably kept warm under some heat lamps). The mushy peas, or rather mashed peas, weren’t too bad, but I don’t normally expect the garnish to be the most interesting part of the meal. One nice touch was the lemon half wrapped in muslin – a nice touch to avoid getting pips in the food.

My partner opted for the Lamb Pie. As seems to be the trend in many high-turnover, low end pubs this was NOT a pie. It was a dish of casserole with a puff-pastry lid, and that’s one thing that really annoys me (especially as an amateur chef who struggles with creating pastry cases for proper pies, and sweats blood trying to get it right)! The contents of this casserole were indeed lamb, but seemingly with a far-too-generous splash of what appeared to be cider vinegar, rendering the delicate lamb flavour unpalatable and sour, and the Rosemary Gravy was overpowered by it.

I can’t even say that the service was impeccable. It was alright, and the staff polite, but it wasn’t exceptional: The not-pies arrived without the ‘Buttery Mash’ promised on the menu, and it took them around 20 minutes to bring them out from the kitchen: They were clearly microwaved, possible frozen from the texture. Some were hot, some were cold, and all came in red-hot dishes. None of it seemed ‘Buttery’ – in fact, one of our family suggested it might even be powdered mash: I don’t think it was, but it was clearly forgotten and rushed. Very unsatisfactory.

One glitch would be tolerable, but when it came to dessert, there was another missing component: One of our number simply didn’t get his Lemon Posset, and it took us a while to attract someone’s attention to raise the issue (they seemed busy with afternoon teas). The dessert for those of us that did receive it wasn’t bad. I selected the Dark Chocolate Parfait, which was rich and indulgent and served with an excellent vanilla honeycomb ice cream (though the plates were slightly warm, which made it melt far too soon). I am assured that those who did receive a Lemon Posset enjoyed them, but in the same way one might enjoy a dessert in any chain restaurant.

New Hall Hotel still claims luxury status, and their restaurant supposedly has a “gastronomic philosophy” to offer “contemporary British dishes where the flavour of the ingredients are given pride of place”. It may be their head chef had a day off, or it may be that it’s just a sign of the times where once great establishments fade over time; but to be honest I’ve had much more enjoyable meals at my local Wetherspoons (and I imagine that all their food comes out of a bag). It’s certainly not what it once was before Hand Picked Hotels took over, and that’s a little bit sad.

I can’t comment on the rooms, and the associated accommodation services, but I truly hope that there’s something they still do well. Maybe that’s their focus now, as it surely isn’t their restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Doctor_When

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit to New Hall Hotel & Spa. Naturally I'm disappointed to read that that your visit did not meet expectations. I am keen to highlight that all feedback is very important to us and we will discuss and review your comments with the team. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Kind regards

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed at New Hall on our way to North Wales, booked a spa break which included Lunch, hotel spa treatment, use of the spa and dinner, all of which was very good. The Spa is clean with decent sized pool so good for exercise swimming, steam room and sauna both of which were in good condition clean and quiet, the ba k massage I had would make everyone feel better, I would go there just for this. The meals lunch and dinner we very high quality in a historic setting, the Lamb Pie was as good as it gets, the Chocolate Parfait dessert was amazing. As usual the Towel test - really good fluffy and quality towels so you know the rest of the hotel must be good. A great place to relax and enjoy you stay, the historic site should not put you off it is a modern hotel in historic setting which is a great combination. I must not miss the staff - they are all so friendly and helpful they make you feel special and valued.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for posting such a great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stopover and that you were able to utilise all the facilities on offer. Your kind comments regarding the team are very much appreciated and I know they will take great encouragement from them. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to New Hall in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I booked afternoon tea as a birthday treat for my husband. We live close to the hotel and have visited a few times and I had a slight reservation as the service isn't always as it should be but the location is lovely. We found the same thing happened during this visit. They were confused by our booking on arrival, we waited 30 minutes before my husband received his coffee and we had to ask 3 times for my drink after that. We were seated at the entrance to the restaurant with a constant flow of people coming in and out of one of the main entrances. It was like sitting in a corridor and not relaxing at all. The food itself was quite good and the waitresses worked hard but appeared to be let down by the systems in place.

When I came to pay they tried to overcharge us by 50% resulting in my husband coming over to try and sort it out. We did have apologies from the person taking payment once it was sorted out. I contacted the hotel to leave feedback and had a response from the manager saying he would investigate and come back to me. I never heard from them again. Such a shame as it is somewhere we would have visited more often.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Charlotte H, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Cher590,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your recent visit. I am naturally, extremely disappointed that your experience at New Hall didn't meet your expectations and that this wasn't then followed up in a timely and professional manner.

I would love the opportunity to discuss this further if possible, and would ask you to contact me at chorler@handpicked.co.uk so we have the chance to resolve this for you.

Charlotte Horler