All reviews david lloyd mini gym function room bit dated the ground floor plenty of parking tea coffee reception staff stayed here for one night self service orwell wedding rex midnight iron venue
Reviewed 8 May 2018

When you stay at a hotel, you expect to be looked after. If you decide that you want to eat your food away from everyone else, then they have the cheek to charge you £4.50 to have this delivered to your room ! While I was sitting at the bar drinking Guinness, (because they didn't have any decent Ale, just some terrible American beer), someone asked for a wine cooler full of ice, and 2 empty wine glasses, and off he went. I ordered food from the hotel, and because of this, I was going to be penalised £4.50. What I should do is like everyone else, bring in my own food, wine and beer ! I mean, the bar food is expensive anyway for what it is !

Service, these guys aint !

A few other things as well. The sides of all the leather chairs in the bar had drink stains down them and hadn’t been cleaned since the hotel purchased them. Their was patched up holes in the walls and ceiling. The carpet was so thread bear in some places it was dangerous. All the windows had not been cleaned for years. Lights behind the bar were broken, and getting service from behind the bar was at some times challenging, it seems mobile phones are more interesting.

I am, however, glad to report the rooms are still up to top standard in cleanliness, and comfort, if sometimes we are sent to beds we did not order. I must say, that the manager was excellent, and went all the way to put anything right that was wrong.

It’s a shame that this pub chain is limited when it comes to beers available, and quality of service which we all expect for free, a matter I will take into consideration when I next book a hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your own food, wine and beer
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Scott G, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Hi Labman858,

I can see you also left the same feedback via our internal avenues of feedback. I have responded in more detail on there. If you wish to contact me further regarding the issues I'm more than happy to talk to you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

One of the best hotel breakfasts we've ever had, with beautifully cooked bacon, eggs done to order and plenty of other choices too, all prepared with care and skill. Thank you very much to Rex, the breakfast chef for a delicious meal and for being so friendly. You and your team deserve a five-star rating!
Our dinner experience couldn't have been more different, hence the low score. So disappointing on every level. I'll be contacting the Hotel Manager direct with details.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business

Hi achillgirl,

Thank you for the feedback. We are very lucky to have Rex in our kitchen, his a real shining star in our team and always delivers above the guests expectation, I'm glad you also noticed this!

I'm sorry to hear about your dinner experience. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so I can look further into for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Have been staying at this hotel for last few weeks and everything has been fine. Room clean, staff really welcoming and friendly. Food has always been fine for business men/women who leave early and return late. That was the case with me till last week and not willing to go into the full issue all i can say was i was surprised at the response from the Kitchen. The saving grace for all this came in the shape of Anna and Kayleigh who could not have apologized more and showed real concern that my meal was so poor and they had to face the customer. The ladies are a credit to the Hotel so please pass on my thanks

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Alan S

Hi Alan S,

Thank you for your recent feedback. I have discussed these matters with the team and spoken with Kayleigh and Anna and shared your feedback with them - They are a great pair!

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

For the price this was great value. Decent room (aircon not working properly), good meal at dinner and lovely breakfast. My score is on the basis of it being as good as it should be for a 3 star hotel.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback!

The team at Ipswich-Orwell have put a lot of work into enhancing our breakfast this year so it's great to read your feedback. I will share with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Ipswich!

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for business. I use Holiday Inn a lot as I have to stay away for business every week. Usually the service is faultless throughout the hotel however this was not the case here. I arrived and someone else was being checked in. There was another receptionist but all he did was fiddle with room keys and bits of paper while I waited for the busy receptionist to be available to check me in. After about 5 minutes he did give me paperwork but wouldn’t take my card authorisation as the busy receptionist had to do it, so I waited again. All in all about 15 mins to check in when there was only me and one other guest and two receptionists. Went to my room (that I was told was in a quiet corner of the hotel) to find it was the furthest from reception. Not an issue but the key I had been given didn’t work so I had to go back and get another one. No apology was offered or even a smile. The room was fine but not quiet as actually fronted onto the main road. The restaurant staff were fine and polite as always. Overall the very surly greeting at reception that was so unhelpful and inefficient gave such a poor impression of the hotel.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Hi marySEEngland,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell for your lodging needs and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It's quite frustrating to learn that we did not live up to your expectations because of the service of our front desk staff and keys. I also regret that the check-in process did not come out as efficient as we wanted it to be. Know that providing every guest's needs is our top priority and we are always trying our best to give you a great impression. The circumstances you have mentioned are not what I want you to experience with any of our properties. I take these matters seriously and we wouldn't want any untoward incidents happening in the future. I'll definitely share your thoughts with our hotel management team as a reference for further review.

Again, thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope to offer you a better experience upon your return, marySEEngland!

All the best,