“Dog friendly”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Enjoyed food at this welcoming pub two nights running. Chose it as it had to accommodate our large labradoodle Bruno. Staff were very attentive, friendly and competent. Food was substantial and well prepared at a reasonable price. Nice atmosphere and busy, sufficiently staffed to avoid waiting - recommend.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Good food, very polite, friendly and happy staff. Well worth a visit. Country feel pub with everything you need near by.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Large family friendly pub/restaurant. Food better than I was expecting and will go again. Staff very friendly, professional and charming. Very reasonably priced

Reviewed 17 March 2018

We went to this busy pub restaurant for Mother’s Day lunch. We had small children with us and were out for a family celebration not a gastronomic treat. I must judge the place against what I could reasonably expect of such a place for such an event.
The dining room is large and functional rather than elegant or smart, the place was packed as we expected having booked well in advance. The service was prompt, efficient and cheerful and the management had clearly staffed up for a very busy day, there were plenty of staff and everyone benefitted. We got drinks quickly, I had an excellent pint of Courage Directors, a favourite of mine, others had prosecco by the glass. The menu was quite extensive and despite being a Mother’s Day special the full menu was available. There was also a very full children’s menu which offered sensible options like pizza despite this being a Sunday Lunch event. For a starter I had the duck and pistachio terrine, it was OK, not a lot of flavour but perfectly OK. Others had the baked Camembert which was very nice (I made the wrong choice) and the bruschetta which was OK. For mains we all had the roast beef dinner. The beef itself was poor, worse than I had expected which was not an awful lot, very thin slices of very overcooked, tasteless beef, obviously reheated. The veg wasn’t bad, perhaps a bit better than I had expected, crisp roast potatoes and the other veg not overcooked. The horseradish sauce was strong and fragrant, an unexpected treat. The Yorkshire pudding was the usual hard, brown, dry, tasteless cardboard you always get. I don’t know what is so hard about cooking a fresh individual Yorkshire pudding for each guest. You put a ladleful of batter into a hot baking tray when they order and stick it in a hot oven. It’s dead easy but no one seems to do it.
For pudding I had the sticky toffee pudding. This was slightly better than expected, the flavour was fine, not too sweet, the sauce not overthickened but the pudding had a distinct skin around it which rather spoilt the effect. Others had the brownie and the Apple crumble, both of which were OK.
All in all, it was pretty much what we expected and what we wanted, simple, no fuss, big helpings familiar food, quick, child-friendly service. It provided exactly the experience we wanted and expected. At the price it was fair value. I would not eat here if I wanted better than average food, but they did not claim to offer that. Overall it was good for what it was.

1  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We visited last night for Mother’s Day and we couldn’t fault a thing
Roast was great, loved the home made gravy?
But most of all I really appreciated the staff who were all very attentive and smiling especially on a very busy day
Didn’t get our servers name but we sat in the first section near the door she had grey/pink hair and was great, thank you!!