All reviews national trust the cottages conwy castle country house the main house private garden formal gardens drawing room grounds are beautiful small kitchen no tea or coffee making facilities dining room north wales sauna and steam room public rooms bodnant gardens night porter
Reviewed 3 February 2019

We stayed here for two nights, midweek late January 2019 to celebrate my wife’s birthday, so yes it was cold, and the array of gas fires lit in the many fireplaces throughout the property, whilst adding a very convincing look and ambience did nothing to desist the cold. However this is a 600 year old, National Trust owned building so don’t expect double glazing!
Overall it is a super place, we had booked a Superior room and were in no way disappointed, it was spacious and comfortable, with a large bathroom although it has to be said the heating in the bathroom proved totally inadequate however as I said allowances have to be made given the restrictions of the building.
I need not I’m sure wax lyrical about the hotel or the Spa’s strong points as I’m sure it’s all been said before. Super location and surroundings giving one an air of stepping back to a time and a place where service was above all else and therein sadly lies the problem. The staff it has to be said could not of been more polite and attentive however at this price point in the hospitality market (approx £760 for two nights including dinner and drinks etc but excluding spa treatments ) attention to detail is absolutely paramount and I’m afraid it is something we found sadly lacking.
On arrival we were asked if we would like morning tea served in the room which we arranged for 8.30 am along with a morning Newspaper. Sadly neither appeared until I placed a call to reception who kindly arranged the tea as quickly as possible (circa 9.00am )but as breakfast service finished at 9.30 it by then was somewhat superfluous.
Dinner on the first evening was I have to say first class although the menu is limited to around four starters and four/five main course dishes if my memory serves me right, which when your staying more than one night makes it a little boring having to select from the same four dishes as the previous night. We managed without too much issue for two nights but had we been staying any longer it would of certainly entailed dining out should the menu not of been changed.
Also on the second night we ordered the cheeseboard as we had been so impressed by it the night before, brought to us to select from a large variety of cheeses on a trolley each one explained by a very knowledgeable lady.
Sadly on this second evening the cheese trolley never materialised, we were simply presented with a selection of cheeses already sliced onto our side plates with some grapes etc with no request prior as to which we would prefer or not prefer.
This along with being served my obligatory large whiskey as a night cap by the fire in a BRANDY GLASS!!!!
Now to many this may appear somewhat trivial but I’m afraid I chose this hotel as I like things “ old school” and whiskey in a brandy glass I’m afraid is or should be punishable by removing someone’s head !!
In all seriousness though it was a real shame that the small but so important attention to detail transgressions were allowed to happen as it spoils greatly the overall experience.
Things such as outlined above and the small jam pots at breakfast being already opened and half used to me is not acceptable at this level.
At a modern corporate type establishment these things could be excused or even expected. However,to reiterate,at this price point, and due to the way the hotel is marketed it is not the sort of thing I expected during our stay.
Would I go back ???? The jury is out as we have many favourite places who appear to have their eye a little more on the ball, to which we look forward to returning.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerBH, General Manager at Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2019

I thank this reviewer for all the positive and complimentary comments regarding the accommodation, location, Spa, food and staff at the Hall, and also for stating on departure that they had enjoyed a very nice stay. The recent cold weather did see a drop in temperature, and we are sorry that this reviewer found it cold in the large bathroom of the accommodation. Additional heating is available to all guests who require it.

I also apologise for the non delivery of early morning tea and newspaper on the first morning of the reviewers stay and for the service of malt whiskey in a brandy balloon, unfortunate oversights.

We prepare a cheese trolley nightly with the exception of when the dining room is particularly quiet. We do this to minimise any waste should it not be required, and I understand that the selection brought to this reviewer was too comprehensive when only a smoked cheddar was required.

I do hope that these untypical experiences do not deter the reviewer from a return visit to the Hall, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming them back

Reviewed 31 January 2019

We have just returned from a short stay at the Bodysgallen Hotel, which is set in beautiful grounds, just a short drive to Llandudno with all its attractions. This hotel is like stepping back in time, with stunning views overlooking Conway in the distance. The hotel is immaculately kept, and the food, and wines are excellent. All the staff are lovely, and extremely attentive. This is a quiet 'stately' hotel. We have been coming here for years for meals, but this was the first time we have stayed overnight. We will be back.

Room tip: We had room 5 which had beautiful views of the formal gardens, and the herb garden, with views in the distance to Conway Castle
Reviewed 30 January 2019

I booked a visit to Bodysgallen at very short notice for a little quality time with my daughter. It isn’t the sort of hotel I would normally book as I like contemporary hotels but what a treat! Old fashioned rooms totally appropriate for the hotel, spotlessly clean and very comfortable.
Lovely warm, comfortable public rooms and good food. The spa is a few minutes from the hotel which was no trouble at all, on arrival I was told my teenage daughter wasn’t allowed in the spa until 4pm- it was just after 3pm. It was no hardship to sit and wait with a creamy hot chocolate and I fully respect the hotel for protecting the interests of spa members. Great quality dressing gowns provided and a surprisingly large pool with a lovely hot jacuzzi.
What does stand out about the hotel is the staff and the superb service. A friendly greeting from reception, good drinks service, great table service and a friendly room maid.
We enjoyed ourselves so much we have booked the three bed cottage for a longer visit in March- with the dog!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2019

We have been to all the major hotels in North Wales over the past 20 years but never here. I have to say it was far better than I imagines and I would have gladly paid to go round the Hall and gardens as if it were just a National Trust property. If you like panelling; formal gardens, chintz, nookie and cranies, open fires, decorated plaster work, picturesque views, then this is the hotel for you. We stayed in a cottage which had a small kitchenette, a large bedroom, sitting room and bathroom - although this was rather cold, and could do with better heating. Just be warned the walk to the Hall from some of the cottages in the dark can be tricky. Food was nice but I wouldn't rave about it. Spa was excellent and is Aromatherapy Associates, and a lovely place to sit and have tea. I do think however that it is expensive to stay here and i am a frequent traveller to 4 and 5 star properties. I would definitely recommend it for afternoon tea in the summer when the gardens are in full bloom.

Reviewed 17 January 2019

We visited as we had 2 days without children so thought we would do an overnight and relax a bit.

The grounds are superb and the hotel is old but very well kept. There were fires lit around the house so all the rooms were cosy and warm. Due to the age of the property there was not a straight edge anywhere which made for some interesting walks up the uneven stairs, wouldn't like to do those drunk haha.

We had some spa treatments just to kick off the break and the staff in the spa could not do enough to make the experience a delight.

The pool is located in the same building as the spa treatment rooms and whilst we did not go into the pool I had a little look. It is a good size pool which is maintained to a nice temperature.

We had an evening meal. The food was good quality, well presented and the service was by far first class. The only minor comment was, I had a steak which was big and it was served in what was comparable to a pasta bowl, it made cutting into it very difficult as it just wanted to roll around in the bowl. I would recommend a plate for a steak, I did mention this so hopefully they will take that on board.

Breakfast continued with the same quality as the evening meal and once again the staff could not do enough.

If you are looking for somewhere to sit in silence and relax, this place has loads of little nooks and crannies all over the property both inside and out where you can just be alone and contemplate the peace and quiet.

We reluctantly left late morning as we could have stayed much longer than we had booked, it was a truly lovely place.