Langham Hotel
USD 121*
USD 103*
  • Breakfast included
The View Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 180*
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Lansdowne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 210*
USD 163*
  • Beachfront
The Alexandra Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 102*
USD 83*
Hotels.com
Cavendish Hotel(Eastbourne)
USD 131*
USD 86*
  • Beachfront
The Grand Hotel Eastbourne(Eastbourne)
USD 264*
USD 230*
USD 237*
USD 220*
Travelocity
New Wilmington Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 115*
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Eastbourne Town Centre Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 99*
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
1,088 results
All reviewsladies festivalneil kirbyladies nightsea viewconservatory restaurantbowls tourhigh standardwell run hotelwaiting stafffantastic weekendfour posterlovely hotelsea frontnothing is too much troubleafternoon teasingle roombiscuits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed here the night of 2 December 2011. I booked a single room to stay in after my company's Christmas party at the hotel. My room was VERY tiny, had a single bed (didn't think that hotels did that anymore, I thought even a single room had a double bed these days, but they wouldn't have got one in here anyway!). I was on the top (3rd) floor, room 326. I was tucked up in the far corner of the building and my view out the back was very unattractive, made even more so by the appaling prevailing weather that night.
I would describe the room as tiny - I am not a big guy, 6ft tall, but I think I would have been better off causing trouble in the town and spending a night in the local police cells - so narrow that with my arms outstretched and not to their maximum reach, I could touch both opposing walls. Even getting into the room was a bit of a squeeze as the door opens right on to the wardrobe, so you almost have to go into the bathroom first just to enter. The bed was very soft and spongy and not great for those of us that like a firmer mattress. The standard of decor and finishing was poor and with no pictures or fittings. The mirrors had clearly been put up by someone quite short, which was great if you wanted to check how your navel was before you left the room. The bathroom was very dated and although functional, I thought I had seen the last of those shower types in the 70's - good job then that I was dressed in 70's fancy dress, as it really helped me to get into character. It was all very tired with poor grouting, a partly broken shower door, too few small, scratchy bath towels and very poor quality toiletries. If the other rooms are in a similar condition, then a total refurbishment is desperately needed. With regard to the hotel itself, the location is right on the seafront and parking, although sparse, is free and very close depending on your arrival and departure time. There is also residential parking in the neighbouring streets. The standard of food was ok, and although my room rate included breakfast, it was not plentiful and I would not recommend it for the price (£9+) if purchased seperately. The quality of service and hospitality though was pretty good throughout the hotel, even though upon checkout, I wasn't asked the standard 'was everything ok with my room and stay?' Had I been, I would have mentioned all the above. Would I stay here again or recommed a stay here? Probably not to either, all things considered. My overall feeling was that I was at the bottom of the food chain - for asking for a single room, for staying as a guest of a Christmas party chain and for receiving a slightly better room rate. Wake up hoteliers and give those people that book a single room the same standards of doubles/twins/families!

Room Tip: avoid the far ends of the hotel to be nearer the centrally located lift.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank EastSussexChris
pauljames22, Public Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

I have spoken to the owner, Neil Kirby, about your review and this is his response:

“This sounds like a review from a professional Trip Advisor but maybe not a very experienced one! We can assure you that it is normal practice in hotels to have a single bed in a single room. If you required a double bed, you could have booked a double room for an extra £10.00 per night. Obviously some of our rooms are at the back of the hotel and we can do nothing about the view from the window or indeed the weather. Again, you could have upgraded to a seaview room had you requested it.
Come on Trip Advisors, give us a break! We are a family run hotel, not part of a multi-national chain, and all our profits are reinvested into the hotel but this is a slow process, especially in the current recession. We are undertaking a rolling programme of renovation and have refurbished many of our rooms to a high standard, with 11 more scheduled for refurbishment in January 2012. It seems only fair that guests paying the lowest tariff (£27.50 per night for a single room including full English breakfast!) are allocated non-refurbished rooms. In fact some of our best rooms are at the far end of the hotel and not near the centrally located lift, so your recommendation is not particularly helpful.”

Reviewed 26 November 2011

We booked this hotel as a group booking and all 43 clients as well as the driver were impressed. The hotel was very well run, very clean and the food was excellent. All the staff were frendly and worked hard to make our stay as comfortable as possable, many thanks to you all. We will definatly return again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Nice hotel. Friendly staff.
Room was nice but could do with a few touch ups to bathroom walls and ceiling to clear flaking paint and cracks. Although in these times with money being hard to get hold of, its probably not a huge priority.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2011

As I had to make a hurried booking to come down to the south coast to visit a failing elderly friend, I just took the first reasonably priced hotel which online booking brought up. It happened to be the Langham. I was very pleasantly surprised. Having booked a single room, I was given a spacious, comfortable and well furnished twin room, and the bathroom actually had a bath in it ! The breakfast was excellent, cooked to order and not ' help yourself from a breakfast bar' as in many hotels these days. The fixed price dinner was excellent value and cooked and presented to a high standard. Service in the restaurant at both breakfast and dinner was speedy, efficient and friendly. The whole hotel had a very friendly atmosphere where you were made to feel very welcome. I would certainly recommend the Langham.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2011

In Eastbourne for a funeral. Been to the town many times, but never stayed in a hotel there before. Stayed for 2 nights, post-funeral reception was held there.

Online booking - straight forward. Didn't give me any choice for having a sea view and the place wasn't full. Window in room looked towards the bins which were emptied on the Wednesday morning but not too early.

Reception - rang before arriving to say that I would be arrving late-ish which was not a problem. Was told there would not be a problem parking at this time of year as there would be plenty of space on the side streets. After unloading at the front of the hotel I then ended up parking about 400 yards away which is okay for me but would it be for others? I had difficulty parking whenever I went out in the car and it's not peak season.

Room - bathroom had been recently done up and shower was good, bedroom needed doing too. Saw another room where the room had been well renovated but not the bathroom! We didn't spend much time in the bedroom anyway so it was adequate for our needs. One of my relatives was interrupted by a cleaner at 8-55am who unlocked and opened the door just as he was getting his trousers on!

Breakfast - plenty of choice, all waiter service. You can have juice or cereals, not both. Cooked breakfast was ok, but on the first day I had a tablespoon size of baked beans and another of mushrooms. I assume that they cater for the older persons appetite as they seem to attract coach holidays. My retired father-in-law wouldn't have been impressed!

Waiter - I was there with a relative and her husband. When taking the breakfast order she was about to give it when the waiter stopped her and said that he would be taking his order first! When he'd done that he then said "and now for your mother"!. I think he needs some lessons on service.

Bar - a very friendly lady serving behind the bar. Chatty and good-humoured. A gold star for her!

Post-funeral event - was held in the bar. The food was very well prepared and a good selection. It was waiter service. What I didn't appreciate was that when a few people had gone they started getting out the duster and polish and when one set of chairs and tables were not being used they brought out the vacuum cleaner, which made it difficult to continue our conversation.

Checking out service - again straight-forward but I thought it was very rude that when the male receptionist was serving me and was in the middle of a conversation, he answered the phone!

Like I say, it was adequate and fit for purpose. Doubt I'll need to go there again.

Room Tip: If you can't get a sea view room on the internet then ring them. It will cost an extra tenner.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family