1,630 results
All reviewssea viewthe hotel car parklovely hotelsea frontband standdining roomexecutive roommain restaurantbuffet breakfastlarge roompublic areasper daystreet parkingthird floortea coffeestayed for one nightplenty of choice
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Booked a four day stay to coincide with the wonderful entertainment supplied by Tony Jacobs and his super-talented jazz musician colleagues. We thought the hotel itself had declined since our previous visits under different management. Bar service was terrible. Food was only average and therefore disappointing in these surroundings. Staff attitudes were variable - again, disappointing. Very easy for a hotel like this to lose its reputation and slide into mediocrity. Management should take notice of the recent poor reviews on TripAdvisor and act accordingly.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terrypearson2017
GuestRelationsBH, Guest Relations Manager at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Cavendish Hotel. I am disappointed to learn that your recent stay at our hotel was not as positive as your previous visits. Please be assured that we take note of all our guest's concerns raised via Trip Advisor and use this feedback to improve the level of service we offer. I hope your experience does not deter you from booking with us again.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We stayed at the Cavendish for a week last month (National Holidays), and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was clean and comfortable, the food was very good and the serving staff were excellent, helpful and friendly (perhaps a few more smiles from Reception?) Splendid location on the seafront. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a company we are always delighted to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us and have checked-out happy. I will ensure to make the team at The Cavendish aware of the concerns you mention. I look forward to welcoming you back to our Cavendish Hotel in the future. For the best available deals please call our sales centre on 0871 221 0259.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

It looked quite nice from the outside and when we first walked in to the reception. It wasn’t! The reception staff were rude, seemed us being there had seriously inconvenienced him. The room I was given was very tired and outdated as well as freezing cold. When I checked, the radiators had all been switched off which was odd given the weather recently. The tv had no signal and the WiFi didn’t seem to exist when I tried to connect. I ordered mushroom soup via room service but when it arrived it looked like it had been collected from the rim of the worst toilet in Scotland from the film Trainspotting. I was half expecting a drug-addled Ewan McGregor to climb out the bowl while I ate. The soup tasted mostly of salt and the bread was stale. I had 3 spoonfuls and put it to one side. I hoped breakfast would be better...it wasn’t. The fruit was from a tin and still swimming in syrup and the sausages looked like they were planning on doing a runner at the next given opportunity. I ate some toast and checked out, won’t be returning!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank bennie27

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback of our Cavendish Hotel on Trip Advisor. I will ensure to pass the entire review onto the team at the hotel so they are aware of what you experienced as they will want to do their best to avoid this happening in future. I can assure you that we at Britannia Hotels take our guest feedback very seriously.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We were so disappointed with our stay at the Cavendish Hotel. We have stayed several times over the last few years and have noticed a huge deterioration since Britannia took over. The hotel is dirty . we had pigeons in our room . the window was wide open when we arrived and the heating didn't work . we were told that it did not operate between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. although it did seem to at the weekend. The room had balls of fluff and debris from the previous occupants. When we pointed it out to the duty manager he was helpful and rectified the situation and we were provided with a portable heater and someone hoovered the room . The faulty light bulb was replaced quickly.
Although there were some exceptions, generally we got the impression that the staff didn't really enjoy working there. It doesn't cost anything to greet guests with a smile. An example of this is at breakfast where we waited some time to be seated . A member of staff appeared , made no eye contact and went behind their desk and mumbled at us "room number"? They could have said good morning or looked at us or smiled or something to make us feel welcome. We asked if it was possible to sit by window seat and were told there were none available . This was because all the tables seemed to be dirty from previous occupants and had not been cleared. We did actually point out that there was a table free and were told it was fine to sit there. We did observe one waiter being pleasant however. Breakfast was adequate but the hot food wasn't that hot, except for the porridge. The window ledges in the dining room were particularly dirty. One member of staff was coughing over everything and informed us she has been ill for over 2 weeks.
General clutter everywhere, e.g stacked tables etc and cleaners cart left in corridor all day.
We have stayed at other hotels where the decor is tired and old but the attitude of the staff can make up for this . Come on Cavendish, please don't become like a cheap boarding house. Don't blame the staff,  provide training!
The location is fantastic which is why we returned but not sure we will again unless things change. We both felt quite disappointed as we knew what it had been like previously. How sad!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank N L

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on Trip Advisor. I will ensure to pass the entire review onto the team at the hotel so they are aware of what you experienced as they will want to do their best to avoid this happening in future. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

221 is a high priced premium double looking over the seafront.
Slightly tired, a bit past a refresh.
Floor a little wonky. Two items of furniture are wonky.
It's quiet enough.
Tea and coffee facility, old style Corby trouser press on the wall. I did not press my trousers for dinner.

I parked in the hotel car park at £4 for 24h.
Reception is just fine.
Dinner in the dining hall - best description. Hot cross bun pudding just too huge, stodgy and lacks finesse. Cool custard. Is that a new trend? Would prefer a cheese option.

Fish main course was fine. Soup to start was good.

Breakfast - what a strange sausage! It has a kind of coat on it - hard as steel, you have to cut the sausage meat out of it.
Now, the bacon. It's not bad at all. Just has rubbery fat on it. I thought most people prefer crispy bacon. Don't they? I mean, who prefers their bacon with soft, warm fat on it?
Why not do crispy bacon as standard - and fatty if asked for?
Chef, look forward to comments!

Lounge area looked like a war zone at times with dead cups and glasses lying around.

In summary, a hotel with excellent bones. Just that the Britannia Group do skimp on running them properly.

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank expectantcustomer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do hope that despite the concerns you mention you were able to have an overall enjoyable stay and I hope your experience does not deter you from booking with us again.