“Short visit to Bergen”
Review of Scandic Byparken

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 7 August 2017

We were a group of 28 persons and we stayed in this hotel for two days. All the rooms we stayed were too small, no space to move freely,no sufficient light in the room,the bathtub in my room wasn't working, the reception staff wasn't polite to me. The only thing which was good is the location of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 11 August 2017

Dear Tpanayiotou,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a feedback after your stay.
First I would like to say I am sorry that you were not happy after your stay! I will talk to the front desk staff and find out what happened here. This is not how we want to be perceived at all. We will also go over the room you stayed in so we can fix the bathtub.

Regarding the room, we have several room types; from economy (quite small) to Superior rooms and Suites, some facing the street and some towards the backyard. I recommend that you try one of our Superior Extra rooms next time, then you will have a spacious room, which is quietly located.

Hope we can welcome you again, so we have the opportunity to fix the impression you have now. Please contact me directly so I can offer you a free upgrade to a superior room (if available).

Best regards,
Anette Johansen,
Acting Front Office Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We stayed at the Scandic Byparken for 7 nights in late July 2017. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to all main attractions such as Fish Market, Bryggen, all KODE museums, Bergen Railway Station, shopping centers (Xhibition, Galleriet, Kloverhuset, Bergen Storsenter), shopping along Torgallmenningen, The Floibanen, Bergenhus Fortress, etc. Right down the street is the beautiful lake Lille Lungegardsvannet and park. Supermarkets and restaurants are all within easy reach of the Scandic Byparken. They offer a complimentary buffet breakfast with your stay. It's wide and plentiful with lots of selection such as smoked salmon plus other fish, different cheeses, cold meats and spreads, freshly fried eggs, omelets, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, meatballs, fried mushrooms, baked beans, assorted fresh bread, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruits, crepe, just to name a few. Check-in and Check-out were no-nonsense and quick process. Reception was very courteous and helpful with all our needs. We had a family room on the 5th floor facing the street with a nice view of Mt. Floyen. Everything with the room was satisfactory, except on the last night of our stay, housekeeping forgot to make one of our beds, which was weird, but not a horrible problem. I only wished housekeeping would make use of the Swiffer mop a little more on the floor, because we can tell it was not properly mopped/swept as we can still see crumbs from the day before. Other than that, it was a nice and comfortable stay and I am quite satisfied with the overall hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are a bit noisy. If noise bothers you, opt for a quieter room, which can be...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 August 2017

Dear Florence C.

Thank you very much for this great review and rating of our hotel, I really appreciate it and hope to see you here again very soon.

Lene Mjeldheim

Reviewed 30 July 2017

This is the second Scandic hotel my husband and I stayed at in Norway. How very different the two are. Our room was a normal European size - decent enough for two people and had room to put away our clothes. It also had a small refrigerator, so we could purchase some food instead of eating out all the time. No USB ports, but plenty of outlets to use adapters. They claimed to have blackout curtains, but ours were lacking and there was a steady glow of the June midsummer sun all night. As with our other Scandic hotel, there isn't any cooling machine (fan, A/C) so you need to leave the window open for some air. The breakfast was mighty, but very very busy/crowded. This is the big plus for Scandic as the breakfast is included in your room price, so you can load up on a good amount of food and get through a good portion of your day without needing to step in to a restaurant. The front desk staff was mostly helpful, and all very friendly. The location was fantastic - just across from the park, which is a lovely walk. The harbor is walkable, though it is about 5 blocks. The train station is diagonal across the park - very very walkable, and there is the end of the tram line just two blocks away. I would stay here again - I'll try the other seasons for more darkness and cooler sleeping temps, though.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 3 August 2017

Dear Mary Z.

Thank you so much for a great review and rating of the hotel, I really appreciate it!
Looking forward to see you again.

Lene Mjeldheim

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Everything I wanted for the stay in Bergen was here. Easy to find, central location near main park, shopping and ferry just a few blocks. Room was small (norm in Europe plus I booked a single at a very good price so not a complaint.) In fact, it was nicely updated and efficiently organized with desk and two chairs so not cramped at all. Bed was super comfy with crisp white comforter. Breakfast buffet is included, and hotel is known for it, a feast with a vast number of dishes. Food was good and one night had dinner as well (not included but reasonably priced) when I arrived back after long fjord trip. If you go, ask for a room at the front. I originally said 'quiet' room but it overlooked an alley. They very nicely changed my room when I asked. The room overlooking the road was not noisy and had a view of the park. Did I say all the personnel were super nice and efficient? I have paid more in many places and not had such a pleasant stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 28 July 2017

Dear Rosanne K.

Thank you so much for this wonderful review after your stay with us. Both me and all of my colleagues really appreciate it, and are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We all hope to see you again here very soon!

Lene Mjeldheim and Team Byparken

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Great location. Close to everything. The expected Scandic standard & quality. Everything is designed with giving the guest a efficient experience unlike the Nordic hotels of similar class. Fast check-in, helpful and knowledgeable front desk people. The room was tiny but the bathroom setup was larger than most other hotels we stayed in during our Scandinavia trip. Try and get a room not facing the inner courtyard. The hotel cold room and recycling processing is done in the courtyard and it can get a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 28 July 2017

Dear hotelreview77.

Thank you for the nice rating and review, I really appreciate it and am very happy to read that you were pleased with us!

We have many different room categories, from small economy rooms to spacious Superior rooms. If you go for a Superior Extra room, I think you will find it more luxurious; with coffee making facilities, robes and a seating group with either sofa or armchairs

Hope to see you here again soon!

Lene Løseth Mjeldheim