“amazing sushi and delicious ramen;)”
Review of Monsun Noodlebar

Monsun Noodlebar
Ranked #348 of 1,602 Restaurants in Oslo
Price range: USD 12 - USD 24
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Vietnamese
Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

Food was great! Very nice atmosphere, at weekends it's quite full, so its better to reserve table in advance. Variety of food is big and prices are acceptable.

1  Thank Vel J

Reviewed 25 April 2016

I have been waiting years for someone to start serving a reasonable Japanese noodle soup in Oslo. I've even been trying out soba recipes on my own to fill the absence.

The options here are limited (currently there's a miso ramen with pork and a spicy ramen with chicken), but both are delicious, and the flavors are well balanced. It's definitely a fusion restaurant, but the food shows much more Japanese influence than in most other Oslo restaurants. The small dishes we sampled as starters were interesting ideas and very tasty.

Having tried the miso ramen both as takeaway and in the restaurant, it is noticeably better eating at the restaurant.

Service is definitely slow, and the cafe was quite busy and crowded. We waited a quite a while after ordering before even our beers were delivered. So, this is definitely not a place to go if you're in a hurry or impatient. However, the food was affordably priced and well worth the wait. We will definitely be going back. Often.

2  Thank kaisatsu
Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

My husband, a friend and I went here on a Sunday afternoon. The food is spectacular. We ordered the Vietnamese Ramen, Tokyo Skyline and the 911 Fire Roll. The food took a bit long to arrive but it was absolutely spectacular! We were so happy that we decided to get another sushi roll. We wanted to get the Taco Roll but accidentally said "Taco Sushi" instead. We got a taco sushi which is basically a hard shell taco with lots of salad, some shrimp and too much caviar. It was bland and disappointing. It wasn't a good way to end the meal but granted we did order the wrong thing. We also tried some warm Sake, which was great too!
All in all we were well pleased. I give it 4 stars because they need to take the Taco Sushi off the menu.

We shall definitely be going back.

2  Thank Tj A
Reviewed 21 April 2016

Monsun Noodlebar is... a noodle restaurant, indeed.
I always feel a little bit uncomfortable with these Asian restaurants you can find in Northern Europe : a Thai restaurant can serve you sushis, as well as a Chinese one will have its menu featuring pad thai or Pho Bo...

Anyways, Monsun is a good one, because of this cross-cultural side : as Asian countries hav so many different noodle styles, it's great to have a place that combines all of them...

The meals are then fresh and tasty, served in generous portions, and the rates are really really really correct. Plus : they also have a take-away/delivery service through Foodora (if you feel like a lazy sloth on a Sunday hangover afternoon).

2  Thank LG-Aude-LG
Reviewed 10 April 2016

I had a take-away (Foodora) ramen, so I can't really say anything about atmosphere (and I generally don't care about service), but what I will say is that for the price this was a pretty small bowl. The broth was hearty but sludgy; not the clarity I think characterises a good ramen soup. Other than that it was a solid meal. Perfectly boiled egg, perfectly chewy shitake mushrooms and well-seasoned (supposedly BBQ marinated?) pork meat. One thumb up.