“Super disappointing. Will not be going back”
Review of Bass Oslo

Bass Oslo
Ranked #269 of 1,685 Restaurants in Oslo
Reviewed 22 September 2018

This place came highly recommended but I can't think of a single good thing to say.

We had a pre-arranged menu, but what we got was completely underwhelming and uninspiring, not to mention completely insufficient (what we ate was nowhere near enough to fill an adult human).

A couple of courses came and went. Basic cheese and cold cut. Soup with mussels in in a bowl the size of a soy sauce dish. A dish with apple (was this the main?). Some completely forgettable fish. A sour dessert.

By the end we have paid kr.1300 per person (much of that was our wine order I suppose) and have had barely enough to constitute an entree, and certainly not enough to stop us from walking out of the restaurant starving.

We literally had to go find some fast food to ensure we had enough sustenance on board to make it through to breakfast.

I wouldn't be so bitter if the food was memorable. But alas, it was nothing-ish in the extreme.

To add to that, the service was charmless and basic, and the locale bland.

If there is something good going on here, I completely missed it. To me it was just overpriced small, sour, basic entrees that left me completely uninspired and unsatisfied.

I don't think I've had a bigger disappointment in Oslo dining than this.

Reviewed 21 September 2018

I celebrated my 29th birthday at Bass Oslo with a large group of friends last night. We enjoyed ourselves immensely! The food was good, the wine was good, and the service was superb. They accommodated all 15 of us, including those with special dietary requirements. They even played Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday" on the stereo system in honor of my birthday. Thank you for helping make my special day a memorable evening, we will be coming back!

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Love Bass Oslo. Great atmosphere; informal, yet cool. Great cocktails. Food is all about small dishes that can be shared and it’s really, really good.

We were two that shared and 6 dishes fit the bill; left content, but not too fool of food.

Superior wine service. Super competent advice on what to drink with the various dishes.

Surely a favorite in Oslo.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Our best dinner in two-plus-weeks in Norway and, yes, we selected this restaurant BEFORE The New York Times wrote it up and recommended it. A small menu, maybe 8 items. We ordered 5 of the 8 and doubled up on one. We thought everything we ordered was delicious. A friendly, helpful staff, too, and an excellent wine list. We highly recommend dining here.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

He claimed that they wouldn’t let him on the kitchen!

We had a delightful meal here thanks to the recent New York Times article on New Nordic cuisine in Oslo. Our server said they hadn’t even had menus in English until after the review. This neighborhood spot is away from tourist areas downtown. But the No. 12 tram gets you there easily.

It’s a small plates menu. Only eight to ten choices. All interesting and most wonderful. Summer cabbage with Chèvre cream was a favorite. Good cocktails, too. Our couple shared six of the nine offerings. They recommend doing the whole slate!

This is a relaxed neighborhood restaurant with a friendly staff and owner who is “hands on”, even if they won’t let him into the kitchen.

Date of visit: July 2018