We spent three nights in this hotel, located inside a 19th c. building in the center of Vienna. The rooms are "hotel modern" but colored in a lively and pleasant manner; the suite is not very large but has two rooms, a bedroom and a sitting room with kitchenette. But the very high ceilings give the suite an airy and spacious feeling. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The location is excellent: although at the northern end of the inner city, close to the Danube canal, you are no more than a 20mn walk from the opera at the other end of the inner city. Two blocks away is a busy area with restaurants and night-clubs, but the street itself is very quiet, and the Viennese double windows block out all noise (our room was on the street but we heard nothing). Another great advantage: the bus to the airport leaves from (and arrives at) Morzinplatz, just 250m away, costs 8 euros and takes 19mn. Also very close is the Schwedenplatz subway station.
All this for 120 euros per night!
Two small minuses:
(1) we checked in and were given our key, we went to our room and opened the door, to find another guest in it! I would not have enjoyed someone walking into my room, and I am surprised that the hotel's software allowed such a mistake. We were promptly given another room and had no other problems.
(2) the hotel charges for Wifi. Most European hotels have given up on this kind of nickel-and-diming. The price isn't totally outrageous (4 euros for an hour's worth of online time, and less per hour for larger chunks of time) and if you're in Vienna as a tourist you wouldn't be spending hours on the Internet, but it's still petty an annoying.
The breakfast is 17 euros, we did not try it - we found it better to squeeze our own orange juice at the nearby Spar, get a Morrillenstrudel at Aida, gulp an espresso next door and hit the streets!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Starlight Suiten Hotel Wien Salzgries is located in the city centre of Vienna, 1st district. Thanks to the excellent location and the public transport connections, you can reach your destination within a very short time. You can easily walk to the most famous sights of the city in a few minutes, like St. Stephen's Cathedral, Mozart's house and the Imperial Apartments, or stroll through the Graben, the Carinthian Street and the Golden Quarter, three well-known shopping destinations in Vienna. The four-star suites of the hotel offer you the highest comfort in a modern atmosphere and the sauna and fitness areas are at your disposal for relaxing and training. Guests travelling by car- can avail themselves of our parking service. Our reception staffs are there for you round the clock and will be pleased to help you plan your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Starlight Suiten Hotel Salzgries reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlight Suiten i Salzgries Hotel Vienna
- Starlight Suiten i Salzgries Vienna