Pension Suzanne
Hotels.com
USD 390*
USD 353*
  • Pool
All reviewsopera housegreat locationhalf blockyogurtsmall kitchenbreakfast roomapartment buildingstate operaboiled eggsfirst floorwould definitely stay here againwalked everywheresingle bedcentral viennathe heart of the cityhofburg palacestaff was very friendly and helpful
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I usually stay in apartments but sometimes like to have the support of a hotel staff. Pension Suzanne offered the best of both for my trip traveling with my mom.

We had what was obviously once someone's apartment (61). The bathroom (shower and toilet separate) was large and modern and the furnishings vintage and in keeping with old world Vienna, fabric wallpaper in the large entrance for example. I still wondering how that huge armoire got to the 6th floor. The bedding was wonderful and the linens perfect. I caught mom checking the manufactures tag and she threatened to take the mattress home. There was a large double bed and a single bed which was ideal for us. The kitchen allowed us to have some meals in and one night of take out. The room was white glove clean usually by the time we finished breakfast in the morning! Our windows opened into a court yard and the heat could be controlled on the radiator ( we never had an issue).

We were greeted by staff memeber William, who was efficient. I would have liked a little more of an introduction upon arrival. The owners were warm and friendly, as was Maria who cheerfully got us our pitcher of warm milk and coffee every morning at breakfast. The breakfast was great. On the buffet soft boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, variety of fresh rolls, yogurt, cerals, juices and some sweets as well. I don't know what more anyone would need. I enjoyed meeting some fellow travelers at breakfast. I was gushing about the opera only to learn the lovely couple I shared a table with were the parents of two of the members of the Philharmonic. It was an unexpectedly wonderful way to start the New Year.

As already stated the location is amazing. The hotel down the block was almost E600 per night for the same time, I had to point that out to mom whenever we passed by. We walked to the Opera, Musikverein, and even home on New Year's Eve, after the ball at the Hofburg, in our evening gowns. KartnerStrasse is at the end of the block and St Stephen's an easy walk as was the Naschmarkt.
The unit above ours was privately owned and not carpeted so we did hear people walking above us.I had wifi for my smartphone, the code was in the information folder and there is a computer in the office area.

Send me a PM if I can answer any questions. I would love to go back someday.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor. There is an elevator which starts a few steps up from ground level.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank plan09
Reviewed 26 January 2012

wonderful hospitality and incredible service. We travel frequently and stay in hotels, bed & breakfasts, inns all over...we have not had such wonderful service from anyone in any category in quite some time. Thank you again for making our trip to Vienna not only memorable but one of the best hotel service experiences we have had. Allowed us early check in, have plenty of US tour books, made dinner reservations, did it all! Great location, clean rooms, good beds...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mnamiller
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed at this nice hotel 3 nights with my wife. The location cannot be better - the famous Opera house as well as the Kärtnerstrasse with St. Stephens cathedral are just around the corner.
The rooms are individually decorated and quiet. Also the breakfast was excellent.
The staff is extremely friendly and the owners are easily accessible and supportive.
I can highly recommend this pension to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, clean and friendly hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PhJordan1
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The hotel location is a half block from the opera house. There, that is the nicest thing I could say about it. The rooms were hot, no a/c. You have to open the window and there is construction going on so the noise was unbelievable. I live in a city, this was beyond that...this was a jackhammer for a wake up call. The lobby closes. That was a first for me. The wireless works on the lobby floor (2nd) so no wifi from your room but they said they were working on that. So if it's 10p and you need to be online, you'll be doing it in the darkened hallways of the lobby as I did. The breakfast was blah even for European standards. It is also not a lobby, it's an office. I was given 3 huge keys on a keying, so I walked around Vienna clanking. 1 key for the front door, 1 for the hallway door and the last for the room itself. Then there is thr two person elevator that goes up slowly for 6 floors passing each dark hallway. The room was fine. The bathroom was bigger than the room. This hotel almost ruined the city for me. Vienna is beautiful, it is very worth seeing. Transporting being what it is there, I would not worry had out having to stay so central and look for a better value elsewhere. I chose the hotel based on TripAdvisor rating and it is the first time ever that I am disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank solotraveler21
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my family - wife and 2 adult children. The 4 of us shared a large room with a rollaway bed. Breakfasts were plentiful and nicely served. The breakfast room was very comfortable. Internet was available in the office and was easy to access.

Most importantly, the hotel is in the midst of everything. Just out the door is the Opera - we enjoyed the ballet Sleeping Beauty, get tickets ahead of time online. Turn the other way and it's a nice stroll to St. Stephen's catherdral, Cafe Sacher is just across the street for a nice kaffe or torte. Trams, metros and buses are all nearby ready to take you to Schloss Belvedere - must see; Schonbrunn - another must see; and the old amusement park with the train car ferris wheel - from The Third Man.

We loved Vienna, intend to go back and will certainly stay at this hotel

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family