“Old school!”

Ranked #20 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“Old school!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very old fashioned and not to my taste but saying that........ It is spotlessly clean, very comfortable beds, small but functional bathroom, great central location. Staff all friendly and breakfast very formal feeling but accommodating staff. People were smoking in the bar which is not pleasant. The bar staff are very good and very old school service. The drinks are so expensive so expect a surprise when you get the bill! I didn't eat there in the evening. The turndown service was annoying as they kept knocking on the door when I was getting ready to go out. Also the maids tend to knock early in the morning! All in all I think it is a very expensive old fashioned hotel which is not to my taste but there is nothing wrong with it.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Dear Madame / Sir, thank you for your review which you posted on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your honest feedback. I appreciate your kind comments about my associates and the service provided. We do put a strong emphasis on this area. I however regret that you felt disturbed by the maids that attempted to do turn down service at your room and they knocked your door too early in the morning. Rest assued that I will adress this appropriately. Regarding your comments about the bar allow me to add that the bar is one of the most known premium bars of the city and we only use the best quality products which may explain why you found it more pricy than others. Again, thank you for your feedback! It would be a pleasure to welcome you back!
Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

What a huge disappointment! This used to be a fabulous, historical hotel. It is now a tourist trap, overpriced, inferior service...do not waste your time or money.
We paid hundreds of dollars for an ordinary room. The toilet was in a closet...not even connected to the extremely small bathtub shower with a tiny sink. Awful, awful, awful. Don't bother complaining to the staff. They don't care.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fred S
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear Madame / Sir,
thank you for your comment. The feedback of our guests is important to us. We evaluate all guest comments frequently to maintain and improve our services. I regret that you were not satisfied with your recent experience at our hotel. I understand that in particular you were not pleased with the room provided. I can assure you that we do care about our guests and that we do take any feedback extremely serious. I am looking at all feedback personally on a daily basis and my associates strive hard every day to live up to our guests expectations. I hope that you will give us another chance in future so that we can convince you that the Bristol still is a special place here in Vienna that provides great service in an excellent location. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Bristol is a landmark of a hotel. It is quite a site to behold. The rooms are QUIET despite its proximity to a major transit hub and to Stephanplatz. The service is also great and attentive. However, I believe it may need to modernize a bit. The carpets though beautiful need to at least be "reconditioned". Internet service is extremely slow. A little attention to bath products and their replenishment may be needed. Other than that, our stay was VERY comfortable - beds are cozy and comfortable, sound level is low, rooms are spacious, bathrooms are as big as can be and like I said, the service is excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jmrmd
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Madame / Sir,

thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and feedback. I understand that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. I would like to reassure you that we are constantly upgrading our rooms and public areas. In fact currently we are restoring our banquet floor as well as our Mezzanine Floor where we create new suites and rooms. We are constantly investing in our product to ensure it is being kept up to date. As the Bristol is a historic property this is of course an ongoing process and it is being undertake with great care so not to disturb our operation. Thank you again for your patronage. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Newtown, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

We recently stayed here and had a good visit. My main comment which not really a complaint but rather a comment of the opera view rooms. The rooms are fine although the bedroom door and closet door were a constant challenge to navigate. However I am not convinced that the upgrade cost to an opera view is really worth it. The view is fine but it still is just a view of another building. We enjoyed Vienna and all the fine buildings in our wandering but to pay extra for only when I am briefly in the hotel room did not seem quite worth it. Again, however, the hotel is very nice aNd the staff is extremely helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear Madame / Sir, thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback very much. I understand that you had a nice stay at our property but you were not convinced about the Opera view from your room. I can assure you that the Opera being one of the major landmark buildings of Vienna, is a highly requested view by our guests. But I understand that this was your own perception about it. On another note, it is correct that some rooms have bathrooms that can only be reached through pocket doors, which however in our view adds a nice flavor to the room experience and in fact most guests perceive it as very charming. Again thank you for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Sedona, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

BEST parts of our 5 nights stay in Hotel Bristol: 1) Location, location, location. Could not beat it!! Next to the opera, next to a Metro station (2 doors down and around the corner to Karlsplatz station),2) beautiful hotel with decor, 3) wonderful staff at front desk (extra accommodating), 4) nice big bathroom, 5) Location (did I mention that?).
OPPORTUNITIES for improvement: 1) ventilation system...smelled cigarette smoke all night on night 4 of our stay and a few times during the other times; 2) thin walls...heard a baby crying twice one night (night 3), next door; 3) no coffee maker in room and none in lobby 4) almost no counter space in bathroom...it was big and marble, but the sink was a pedastal with a small shelf above it; 5) temperature system....we were sweating the first night...cranked up the AC, then asked staff to assist and they said we had adjusted all we could. We realized we needed to keep the curtains closed and the door closed to the hallway to keep the coolness in the bedroom. 6) the room was a bit small and no opportunity for an upgrade.

We used our starwood points for 4 nights and got #5 free as well as the inroom wifi. The lobby was a bit stuffy and we thought at first we had to order Euro5 cokes to sit in the big space. Business was being conducted, folks were eating and drinking. I learned later that a purchase was not required to enjoy that old world space. You got a big hunky key at check in so had to turn it in each time you left the property. The bed was firm and there was free water and fruit each night when we returned to the room. PS: we were in room 478, top of stairs/elevator on 4th floor. Might need to avoid it.

Overall it was a 4, not a 5. Would we stay there again if we return to Vienna? Not sure because of the ventilation and lack of sound proofing. Le Meridien is close by and we may need to check it out if we return to Vienna.

One more note about Vienna: love the transportation system. Metros are FAST and efficient. Light rail is easy to navigate/learn. One ticket gets it all for you!!! Loved it!!!

Room Tip: The front desk offered us a room that faced the front on the main road. It had a balcony, but we ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Madame / Sir,

Thank you for your comment posted on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your honest and open feedback. We constantly strive to improve our services and offerings. With regards to your comments I would like to respond in the same order that you have mentioned them:
I appreciate your accolades about our location, staff and interiors. With regards to your opportunities for improvement allow me to state the following:
- I will look into your comment about the walls - some noise (like crying of a baby) can be disturbing even with regular walls - I can assure you that our walls are solid.
- It is correct that we have no coffee makers in our rooms as most guests like to try the Viennese coffee specialties in our bar
- the A/C system is new and it should not have been any problem to adjust temperature in your room. I will however have a conversation with our engineering department to see if this particular room (thanks for mentioning it) needs some adjustment. Again thanks for your feedback! It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager