“superb Austrian cuisine in authentic restaurant”
Review of Restaurant Sperl

Restaurant Sperl
Ranked #233 of 4,713 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wieden
Reviewed 3 March 2018

The best meal we ate on a three day trip, delicious! Warm atmosphere, despite no-nonsense staff, and popular with locals. Style of room is rural Austrian I think. Good value aswell. Can't be faulted.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Found this lovely restaurant by chance on our way from the hotel to the Belvedere.
Staff is welcoming, friendly and prompt.
Traditional and homemade delicious food. Popular with the locals.
There is always a vegetarian option on the menu which seems to change per day. Had lunch there twice. Good portions leaving you satisfied.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

My wife and I went to Vienna for the Christmas Markets and arrived on her birthday. I made a reservation at the Sperl based on its proximity to our hotel (3 blocks), its high rating on Trip Advisor, and the cuisine (I love Wienerschnitzel). I had made a reservation for our party several weeks in advance and when we arrived at the restaurant we were all disappointed to see people smoking as soon as we walked in, but we were quickly ushered to a table in a back room and proceeded to enjoy a wonderful meal. We ALL ordered the Wienerschnitzel with the potato salad (one of their specialities) and were not disappointed - especially the potato salad which was topped with watercress - it was delightful. Now we're home and I've been googling recipes trying to find that one; I've gotten close enough that I think I can tweak it and be satisfied. The staff spoke limited English and we spoke even less German, but we got by and had a great time. After dinner, we all ordered coffee and they brought a piece of cake with a sparkler to my wife. Typical Austrian/German - the staff didn't have bubbling personalities - rather they were much more business-like, yet they tended to our needs and all was good.

1  Thank ramerog5051
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Found this place by chance on our way from the Belvedere to St Stephen’s Cathedral.

Inside, you will experience decor strongly reminiscent of some small, family run restaurants somewhere in the Austrian mountains, complete with game horns hanging on the walls, the Kaiser busts, pictures of friends and family, and the lot.

The staff are forthcoming, friendly and efficient, meaning your order is taken promptly, and the food arrives very quickly.

The food we had (game stew, the obligatory Wienerschnitzel, beef stock soup, Kartoffelsalat) was super tasty and very filling. Generally, the food is probably an indication of what typical, homemade, traditional Austrian meals must be like.

Mind you, this is a very down-to-earth place, so don’t come overdressed and don’t expect your food to be presented in a fancy way. It’s simple, true and honest.

That’s why it was so great!

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and I found the food to be amazing.

For soup I had beef with semolina dumpling which was good while my wife ordered the pumpkin soup which was phenomenal!

Our main courses were chicken breast, spaetzle with creamy tomato sauce and pork cordon bleu; both of which were very good.

Dessert was the highlight of the evening: the chestnut rice is not to be missed!