“Excellently prepared Japanese food”

Japanisches Restaurant KAI
Ranked #50 of 470 Restaurants in Innsbruck
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I visited, once again, Kai for lunch a couple of times during my week in Innsbruck. The lunch boxes are as good as ever, freshly prepared from very good quality ingredients. The Miso soup which is standard with most if not all orders is as good as any I have had in Japan, the lunch boxes at under 10 euros are great value. I also had the sashimi menu which at 15 euros, was the most expensive thing on the menu, but as I said the quality of the fish was superb! The restaurant is a bit out of town lying on the opposite river bank straight over the bridge from the university, and why it is not open on Mondays and Fridays remains a mystery, as on all the other days of the week it was very well frequented.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant around 3 times till now but I am planning to eat there many other times also in future. This place is a real Japanese restaurant with a Japanese Chef. The whole menu is from Japanese cuisine, so it is the wrong address if you are looking for an asian fusion restaurant. If there is one thing I wish: the menu could have been larger for non-sushi meals. Sushi variation is already great.

I recommend this Japanese restaurant as a Japanese expat living abroad over 15 years, if you want to eat the real Japanese food.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

the place is good enough and i can see a japanese style in it.
the food is very good and very close to japanese food, i guess in the kitchen is a japanese chef...
only the rice is not top class as japanese but i can say that the price for lunch boxes is really good, less then 10 euros and you have a full set.
we will definitely go back for lunch in future!

Reviewed 17 August 2016

The restaurant is very close to my old apartment so I went there a couple of times. The service and atmosphere is quite good, but sushi was a little bit dry. I know another Japanese friend who enjoys their food, so maybe it was just me, or not a very good day.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

I had lunch here, and was very happy with both the quality of the food- very fresh fish, very well prepared and presented. I had the sashimi lunch, which was good and filling, and at about 15 Euro's seemed pretty reasonable to me, the service friendly and prompt, and as my whole lunch including drinks and coffee cost me the princely sum of 20 euros (Sashimi being the most expensive lunch....) it seemed pretty much unbeatable to me!!!