See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2016

The Hotel is well located, a short bus hop from the main train station, and walking distance from the river and the main areas on both sides. When we arrived, the staff were mortified that there had been a booking mix up. They couldn't fit the three of us in one room, and reduced the price considerably to reflect the fairly basic rooms we had on the first night. Afterwards, we had a spacious room for three, with traditional Austrian furniture. Comfortable, if a little basic. Very helpful staff. The hotel is in a lively area, with bars and restaurants nearby, which is good for a late night coffee or ice cream, but might be noisy if you want an early night (we didn't). We went over the road to the Hotel Altstadt for breakfast.

Room Tip: There are bars on the streets at the front and back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2016

A single night in Austria, on a European road trip, found us staying here, due
mainly to a good rate being offered in what proved to be quite an expensive city to stay.
Situated set back in what for most of the time is a pedestrian street, so the sat nav tells you you've arrived at the nearest point on the main road- about 300 meters away !
After 30 minutes of walking around in 35 degree heat, we arrive.
The hotel is fairly basic in all aspects although the room was a good size. The add stated there was hotel parking, which is not actually the case, as you have to park in a pay garage about a 7 minute walk away, which you're told at reception will be discounted on leaving. but the garage only gave a smaller discount than stated by the hotel. not a big financial difference, but annoying.
There did not appear to be any dining facility here, although a number of restaurants are directly outside so not a problem, although it was very busy until around 10pm.
Our room was basic and had a bit of an alpine feel with the wooden floors, and was fine for the one night.
Staff were not in the happiest of moods generally, maybe the heat in a non-air conditioned hotel did'nt help.
The main plus here is the location. near some good shops, and as stated, lots of places for food and drink. also only a 10 minute walk to the river, with lots to do on the other side.
Worth a stay if your on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2016

This hotel was very basic. The rooms were spartan and had no air conditioning (like most European hotels). However, when we asked for a fan to cool us off (it was still hot in September) we were told they did not have any. In all fairness, when we complained the next day about the heat they found us a fan but it didn't help at all. In general, the hotel staff were below average in friendliness.
So, why did I put Rick Steves' name in my title? Because of what we have discovered over the course of our three month European travels. I am on sabbatical and teaching in Switzerland. After teaching, we traveled Europe. We have found Rick's recommendations to be excellent regarding attractions and places to see. However, his picks for hotels (and restaurants and tour guides) are suspect. I am a marketing professor and a little suspicious about going to a hotel and seeing Rick Steves name displayed in a lobby. This is especially true when I go to a hotel (on his advice) that I consider sub par and find others at the same price but with far better accommodations and services right across the street. Regarding the Hotel Schwarzes Rossl, Rick says ask for the "Rick Steves Discount". Don't bother. We asked for it and didn't get it..
We have learned over the course of our journeys that "googling" for hotels in an area provides us with better options and more comfortable rooms. This hotel is not the first one we stayed at following Rick's advice and it is not the first one that disappointed us. In all fairness, Rick does state that this hotel used to be a university dorm and, yes, the location and price are excellent. My complaint is that Rick seems to steer people to a particular sub-set of hotels that in my opinion are not the best choices for the money. Do those hotels have a reciprocal relationship with Rick? I do not know. Make your own assessment.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

I Stayed one night for a trip through Austria.

The hotel is basic, with shared bathroom facilities, and no air conditioning or fans available in the rooms. There is free wifi however.

The best aspect of the hotel is the location, it really is situated in the heart of Salzburg, where all attractions are within walking distance of the hotel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2016

We are traveling "nomad style" through Europe - just jump in the car and stop where-ever wee feel like... Salzburg was an intentional stop but we had no pre-arranged pllans. We chose this hotel because of the price. It was a great decission! The hotel is centrally located, within walking distance to every attraction!
If you want to visit the old town, it is 10 minutes away... The tour busses, again, 5 minutes walk... It is located in a chic area with lots of stores and restaurants and cafes right outside the entrance door.
The Wi-fi is acceptable, rooms are clean and spacious - for the European standard... I still have to get used with this mentality of charging "by the person".... Where I come from we have a set price for a hotel room regardless if it's 1 person or an entire family....
The cons: it does ot have parking so you have to take your car in an underground garage 5 minutes walk... You can however get an access code, unload your stuff in the front of the hotel and then move the car.... Another issue is the close proximity with other buildings and at 5 am, the trash trucks and the sweepers sound like a major battle is happening - so be prepared for an early start of the day... The hotel does not offer food but, as I said, restaurants are just in front of it (they do open after 9 am though).....
Overall, I think you get a good bang for your buck - I would come here again....

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple