Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt, Salzburg
USD 130*
USD 253*
USD 185*
  • Room Service
Motel One Salzburg Mirabell(Salzburg)(Great Value!)
USD 106*
  • Restaurant
Hotel Am Dom(Salzburg)
USD 247*
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe riverold townperfect locationexecutive roomhuge bathroomair conditionerhistoric buildingyour luggagecharming hotelold world charmtop floorpedestrian areabreakfast was includedbeautiful cityaltstadtjudengasseunits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed with my Mother on a pre-christmas break to this wonderful City. We found the hotel very easily from the airport using the number 8 bus straight to the town centre.

There are two entrances / exits to the hotel one at the front facing the river and one at the back facing a small road leading to the main square. Reception staff were rather lacking - I had pre-booked a package and already paid in full. They asked for a credit card for extras and tried charging me 700 Euros!! Luckily I was on the ball and told them no!

We were shown to our room on 4th floor, facing the river with wonderful views and lots of space. Unfortunately at 11pm that night the music, shouting, singing and general catawalling began and we got virtually no sleep. I asked at 8.30am the next morning to be moved to another room when we returned from our day out, and they didn't note this request saying there were no rooms. After some argument and my asking for a full refund - a room was magically produced which was over the other side of the hotel and thankfully was much less noisy - although half the size of the first room.

The rooms are very hot, even with the rads off - which I didn't expect in December!

Other Bad points:- Rubbish pillows, cheap and nasty duvets, lack of lighting in rooms, only ONE english tv channel (CNN),

Good points:- Location is fabulous, couldn't be closer to the Christmas Markets and everything in the centre, river views are lovely if you can put up with the noise and lack of sleep, free internet and printer meant I could check us in online for our return flight - a godsend, bathrobes, slippers and fruit bowl in Executive rooms, very nice porter staff who were helpful and friendly.

Overall I would not stay at this hotel again, its only a 4 star in reality not a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room NOT facing the river
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank therosebud_14
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Aside from the river side location, the architecture of this very old hotel building and it's sense of history is one of several assets. We had to wait to access our room, but the size and facilities were good enough. The heating is unsophisticated - rads on boil, off, in November freeze. Breakfast was fine, there is a small bar but we did not use the restaurant. Staff are friendly and helpful. No general access to wi-fi or internet.
Smoking is not allowed in the hotel, but in the adjacent cafe/bar (a discrete part of the hotel) - many bars etc in Salzburg still allow smoking, much to my surprise. This cafe could be a source of noise if your room overlooks the inland street - our room faced the river and was quiet.
a good hotel but not 5 star.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is the second night in the hotel, 2am and I haven't slept an hour. The NOICE from the bar is unbelievable!!! Drunk people shouting, picing on the hotel wall and throwing up! I feel like staying at the stadion with hundreds of drunks. Room is unbelievebly WARM, impossible to breath. Never coming back even for free!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank dajur
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel was well situated. We walked out the rear entrance of the hotel right into the old part of Salzburg. The statue of Mozart was only a couple of minutes away. The room had character because it is an old building, but decorated very nicely and very comfortable. Luckily there was a portable airconditioner in the room, because it was quite warm in the room when we arrived. The only issue was parking. There was no place to pull up in front of the hotel as the street was already full of cars. Luckily, after a few minutes we found a space down the street and told the hotel staff where our car was. The next morning, they brought the car around with no trouble. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I must confess that when reading some reviews making negative comments about the noise and the high temperatures of the rooms, I thought they were somehow exagerated, and for a business trip I made last august, among the other options I had, I decided to go to the Radisson.......and my god !!!!!!!! It was a very warm day in August, and the noise outside the hotel is simply crazy. There is a bar, my room was on that side, 2 floors higher and it was simply impossible to sleep. People running, shouting, or simply talking on the sidewalk, exactly below the hotel rooms. The problem is that the rooms have no buit-in air conditioning. There is a mobile air conditioning, but to use it, you must open the window, because has a plastic tube for the expulsion of the warm air. Bottom line, to use the A/C you must open the window and suffer the shouts from the drank people and the noise or the disco-bar..........hence you have two options, a bad one and another as bad as the first one. Conclusion: NEVER GO IN SUMMER; BECAUSE IT MAKES NO SENSE TO PAY TO SUFFER. I was with 5 colleagues (all in different rooms) and in the morning, once all of them were arriving for breakfast, all made the same comment: the noise and the warm.

Room service - it's a joke......if you arrive late (like me) and expect a decent menu with some options.......sorry to dissapoint you, but there are only 3 options to order, and no salad nor vegetables, so again, if you arrive late, I suggest to make a stop at a gas station on the way from the airport, and buy at least a sandwich.

The architecture and the location are the reasons which save the hotel, because for the rest, I don`t find a single reason to come bacck

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business