1,103 results
All reviewsfestival wingold world charmold townlow ceilingsthe main shopping streetaustrian hospitalityfavorite hotelcharming hotelturn down servicelarge bathroomperfect locationantique furnituresitting areamodern amenitiesmozart's birthplaceupgraded to a suitean upgrade
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We stayed in a suite for four nights. When booking a reservation for dinner and a concert at the fortress, I mentioned that it was our anniversary and that we had celebrated the same way 12 years ago. At breakfast on the morning of our anniversary, champagne was offered to us and friends we were traveling with. When we returned to the room in the afternoon, there was a beautiful bouquet of red roses and later that night we were surprised with a small cake! I thought the hotel was wonderful to help us celebrate our 53rd anniversary in this way. Our suite was very comfortable, with a good sitting area and lots of storage for our clothes. The TV wasn't working for English channels because of some problem they were having with their cable company. (I didn't consider this a major problem.) I guess if you stay in a hotel that's as old as this one, you have to expect some obstacles to accompany the charm. The shower ran hold and cold and you never knew what you could expect when you stepped in there. The only real problem we had, and the reason I'm not rating 5 stars, is the staff at breakfast is very obtrusive. Ordinarily, if I have a problem, I say something and resolve it on the spot. However, the main waiter was trying to be helpful. He followed you around the buffet, trying to help you choose food. The wait staff would reach across you to clear the table and the main waiter kept coming over and interrupting conversations to tell us other food he could bring us. They all meant well, just need to be trained better. Comparing the wait staff here with the wait staff at the Sans Souci Wien was like night and day. The Sans Souci staff added to our enjoyment, the Goldener Hirsch staff detracted from our experience. Also, just want to add that Carina, at reception, is a shining star. Loads of personality and truly helpful!

Room Tip: The suite was charming and comfortable. Very quiet, it faced the inner courtyard, no views but no noise.
1  Thank Goodgreys
Reviewed 29 May 2018

I couldn’t begin to say better things about the hotel. The location is enough to bump it up a notch. The staff at this hotel was beyond exceptional. I felt like royalty, to he point I was even a bit uncomfortable at how much attention was given, especially in the restaurants. I don’t think my glass at breakfast ever was empty.

Charming, old world feel. If you are expecting something along he lines of a feel of a Westin or W, this hotel isn’t for you. If you can enjoy a more old world feel, fantastic service, and an overall lovely experience, I can’t recommend this hotel more.

With a renovation happening in the fall and winter, I expect guests next year will be even more dazzled.

Room Tip: Had a room in the older section. Another poster suggested that to the “extension”
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Arriving at this hotel I was a little unsure as to what I had walked into. You need to accept this is not your typical 5 star hotel and appreciate the heritage value of the experience . It took me a while but after two nights I realised this hotel is quite exceptional in the service delivery and all staff took extra steps to provide premium service at all times . Salzburg is a stunning location and unfortunately massive amounts of renovations were being completed so perhaps we did not see the city at its best. I would recommend this hotel to those that adore heritage and appreciate the value of great service .

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed 20 May 2018

The Goldener Hirsch is a very nice hotel and probably deserves to be rated higher.
BUT really disappointed by housekeeping. We had a cotton swab on the floor when we checked in and it was still there after the first days cleaning (so my partner picked it up so I would stop complaining.) Other non-gross items were never vacuumed during our stay. This has to call into question the whole room cleanliness!
One night (of three) there was no turn down service. Unacceptable for a "Luxury Collection" hotel.
Other than that, the staff was extremely friendly.
If you like antiques the rooms are very nice. Since this is an old hotel, some doors are short so if you are tall you have been warned.
The location is the best in Salzburg.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Thomas K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Dear Mr Rickshaw,
please accept our sincere apologies for the lack during our housekeeping services. I discussed the matter with our Executive Housekeeper and she is also very sorry. For sure we will follow up during tommorow's team Meeting because indeed things like mentioned in your comment are not acceptable. Again, I just can say that we are very sorry about the negative experiences with room cleanliness which absolutely is not our standard. I am glad that you have other, positive memories of the Goldener Hirsch (like the staff you mentioned) and Salzburg which you will keep.
Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Everything about our stay at this lovely hotel was perfect. The service was outstanding. The staff was polite and extremely helpful, and the location could not have been any better. The hotel is just steps away from Mozart’s birthplace! In fact, everything is within walking distance. Our room was very comfortable and had a beautiful view of Old Town. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple