All reviews von trapp family music fan schloss aigen the bus other guests living room som fans bed and breakfast vending machine family suite salzburg city centre top floor boiled eggs old town visiting salzburg christopher sound
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We booked this hotel with a free cancellation policy through Booking.com on 23rd Aug 2017 for a stay on 26 Sept 2017. We cancelled on the same day we booked and the notification from Booking.com was that "your booking has been successfully cancelled for free". However, we noticed the amount was immediately taken from our credit card. We have been in direct contact with Villa Trapp and Booking.com numerous times and been promised a refund but now its January 16, 2018 - and still no refund. BE AWARE!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Molly T
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

I booked, on August 13th 2017, to stay at Villa Trapp on December 28th and 29th 2017 via Booking.com. No pre-payment necessary as I had opted for free cancellation until late December.

The entire amount was charged to my credit card the same day. In early October, I was diagnosed with an illness requiring hospital visits over a period of months. I cancelled the reservation (supposedly without penalty) two months in advance as a result. I checked my account - no refund. Logged a complaint with Booking.com.

I still haven’t received my money. Both Booking and I have sent emails. Booking was ignored by this establishment, I received one email explaining the owners were out of the country until November 6th and I would be reimbursed then. One week on, I’ve not received my money and both Booking and my bank are now involved in recovering monies which should not have been taken five months in advance and then kept (presumably to earn interest on) for a QUARTER OF A YEAR.

This experience has destroyed any desire I had to visit the von Trapp family house. ‘My favourite things’ are integrity, honesty and a stress-free experience when booking hotels. Villa Trapp’s owners have displayed none of these qualities. Which is why I’m having to write this and field phone calls from my bank and Booking from bed during illness. Thank you for this.

Is the property bankrupt/in receivership??

Stayed: November 2017
9  Thank 2016reviewer
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Villa Trapp is a beautiful, historical site Sound of Music fans dream of staying during their visits in Salzburg. Unfortunately, this hotel is run by dishonest management who steals money from their guests. If you want to change your reservation on booking.com, good luck getting your refund back. You will have a tough time getting it back even though booking.com says you may cancel free of change. See other related posts.

Our case is slightly different. We made a non-refundable reservation and wanted to change our booking because we changed our itinerary. We emailed Villa Trapp and a staff graciously agreed to change our reservation and assured that they would have a room for us. A week before our arrival, Villa Trapp management messaged us and told us they did not have a room for us. We called many times. Villa Trapp almost never picked up the phone. After we had wasted hours trying to call Villa Trapp, the staff who helped us change our reservation finally picked up the phone and explained to us that he already changed for us but his manager (the Villa Trapp management) did not like the change he made for us and removed our reservation from the system. The management also made no attempts to notify us until the very last minute (one week before our arrival while we were traveling in Germany).

After we provided all the written evidence to booking.com, thankfully, booking.com acknowledged Villa Trapp had no right to charge us because they did not provide us the room they promised. booking.com helped us find another hotel to stay and agreed to refund the amount Villa Trapp charged us.

We no longer had to panick finding a place to stay in Salzburg. In the same morning, Villa Trapp sent us an email trying to sell us their vacant room but for a higher price at £120. We turned them down because we have already been relocated. However, they charged £120 on our card the next day. A couple of days after, they forwarded us a booking confirmation which says we gave them our credit card information over the phone and made a 3-day reservation. We were puzzled. Why did they have to make stuff up? And you know what? They charged our credit card again. Oh, that explains why. They fabricated a booking confirmation so that they could make up a reason to charge our credit card again.

We will continue our fight until we get our money back! Fortunately, communication between us and Villa Trapp was mostly done through emails and booking.com's website. It is so easy to see a bunch of flaws in their fabricated booking confirmation. We never not planned to stay in Salzburg for 3 days. We made all of our hotel reservatations far in advance. Why would we ever make a 3-day reservation in Villa Trapp? Our card info was already given to them via the Booking.com app. Why would we give them our card info again over the phone (like they said we did)?

Villa Trapp probably got our credit card information from booking.com after we made a reservation in Aug. As you can see, it is extremely dangerous, when your credit card information is in the hand those people.

We will continue to deal with the unauthroized, fraudulent transaction they made with our credit card information they got from booking.com. It is a pain, but we will not give up!

The management will probably respond to this review angrily with more lies. We have all the written proofs of exactly what happened. Please look at their deceitful responses to other negative reviews. They always twist the facts to protect themselves. Poor guests like us just wanted to have a good visit in Salzburg but ended up wasting most of our time dealing with these scammers.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
13  Thank dchwong
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Dramatic and complicated story below:

Mid-August:
- I reserved a room from Booking.com under a non-refundable condition. Almost immediately I realised that we had to change our travel plans so I emailed Villa Trapp to ask whether they could change our stay to Oct 7 for one night. They wrote back right away to confirm and advised me that I didn’t have to change my status on Booking.com because it was impossible for us to do so.

Sept 28:
- They suddenly emailed me to ask when I was arriving. After I screencapped them the confirmation email from mid-Aug, they told me they sold out of rooms.

Sept 28-Oct 5:
- Villa Trapp kept refusing to confirm our Oct 7 room, only continued to tell us that we had change our Booking.com status in order to get the room, or was either unresponsive.

Oct 6:
- Our call finally went through and the guy who picked up happened to be the staff who initially changed the dates for us. He honestly told us that his manager Marianne saw what he did for us, didn’t like it so she cancelled our booking immediately without notifying us.
- Their general manage Christopher was still emailing us to further decline our room confirmation for Oct 7.
- We reported to Booking.com and they said Villa Trapp had to accommodate us as promised. Villa Trapp failed to respond to Booking.com in time so we’re immediately granted relocation to another hotel on Oct 7 with no extra cost.

Oct 7:
- The morning after speaking to Booking.com, the Villa Trapp suddenly emailed us and tried to sell us a room for a higher price at €120. I wrote back immediately to decline their offer because of Booking.com’s arrangements for us.

Oct 10:
- After we contacted the Austrian Tourism Office, Villa Trapp suddenly forwarded us an email from their “sent folder” (date-stamped Oct 3...who knows how) saying that they were willing to give us a room on Oct 7-8 for a special rate. Attached to the email was a PDF confirmation with their official letterhead. On there it says we’re staying there for 3 nights from Oct 7-10, totalling €537.

(They could not have possibly sent that email to me on Oct 3 because under ‘recipient’, they had a typo in my email address; on Oct 7, they were still trying to sell me a room for an increased price. Booking.com recognised their sloppy forgery so they gave us a full refund of what Villa Trapp charged us in Mid-Aug).

Just today, I realised that on Oct 8, they charged me another €120 on my card, for the room which I had declined immediately. Booking.com is very professional; they acknowledged that we’re not supposed to be charged again. They’re refunding me and will invoice Villa Trapp for their money back.

I should be expecting a response of lies and denials, which is usual of their style here on TripAdvisor. Villa Trapp, your denials and your threat (of “taking all appropriate measures on me”, as you have reported to the Austrian Tourism Office) simply do not change the facts!

Stayed: October 2017
7  Thank wcheanghome
Reviewed 16 October 2017

The same has happened to me as has happened to others as per reviews below...if only I had read them first!!
I booked via booking.com on a rate that said it was free to cancel up to 7 days ahead of the stay. When the confirmation came through it said they would charge my card any time. I immediately cancelled the booking as I didn't want a pre-pay rate. 2 days later, they charged my card £282. I got bank charges as it was a foreign transaction. I phoned the hotel to request a refund. It took ages to even get them to answer the phone and when they finally did, the receptionist said nobody else was there and she couldn't do anything. The same happened on my next call. I eventually (after several days) managed to speak to someone who said it would take up to 6 weeks for a refund. I said that was completely unacceptable as the reservation was already cancelled at the time they took payment. I have worked in hotels for 15 years and know for a fact that refunds take a couple of days. I got nowhere on the phone so I tried emailing. They then got really rude and nasty and threatened me with their legal department!! Hang on...I was just trying to get my money back that they had fraudulently taken!!
I contacted booking.com and asked them if they could deal with it. They told me there was no way my card should have been charged in the first place...the hotel was at fault. I have had to call booking.com numerous times as they have been unable to get the hotel to refund me. It is now 7 weeks since my card was charged and booking.com have just refunded me themselves and are going to continue to chase the hotel to get the money back.
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world for work and leisure and have never experienced such an appalling lack of customer service or hospitality. I am sure the von Trapps would be horrified to have their name associated with this behaviour. The hotel is trading on the von Trapp name and it's association with the Sound of Music and they think they can treat people like that.
The Sound of Music has been my favourite film since I was a child. I have been to all the sights in and around Salzburg numerous times and have even been to the Trapp Lodge in Vermont, but the 'Villa Trapp' in Salzburg is the one place I will never now set foot. They deserve to go out of business so that someone decent and genuine can buy the place and run it as it should be run. It is very sad that it is run by people that fraudulently take people's money and treat people so badly as can be seen from the other reviews.
No doubt I will get the copied and pasted response they have given the other people with the same issue!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
7  Thank BeckyC75
acul2001, Geschäftsführer at Villa Trapp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Our terms and conditions are clearly stated on the booking confirmation. This is before you confirm your booking. We charge the credit card on the day of your booking. You claimed the money from three parties the day after. This is not honest.
We are very happy to have a majority of honest guests who enjoy the atmosphere of the real living house of the Trapp family in Salzburg.