All reviews von trapp family music fan schloss aigen the bus other guests living room som fans bed and breakfast vending machine family suite salzburg city centre top floor boiled eggs old town visiting salzburg christopher sound
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My brother and I went ahead and booked Maria's Suite this past July even though the reviews for Villa Trapp were mixed. The setting was indeed gorgeous in this historic property, but the low-end college-dorm furnishings were disappointing, as was the surprise 50 euro charge upon check-out. Yes, that's because even though booking.com stated that our 250 euro charge was "per room" and the Villa Trapp website stated that there was a sofa-bed in the living room, it turns out that, unadvertised, the proprietors consider that sofa-bed that's already in the suite an "extra" bed and will charge you 50 euros for it! Oh, and not tell you about that until you have a cab waiting for you outside and you're trying to check out and get to your tour in town on time! The in-room amenities are few and spartan. Never have I paid so much for so little!

Our experience at Villa Trapp was hugely disappointing. Do yourself a favor and just go on the Fraulein Maria bicycle tour while staying at Arte Vida, at least until Villa Trapp improves their amenities and is up-front about their fees.

Room Tip: Watch out for extra fees to use a bed already in a room!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank ALFCalifornia
acul2001, Manager at Villa Trapp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Alessandria
I am sorry that the Villa Trapp, after considering for a while did not meet your expectations. If you take a close look at your booking confirmation you will see that you booked Maria's Suite for one person only. Which of course is cheaper than a booking for two persons.
You arrived with your brother, so in total you were two persons. The terms and conditions in your booking confirmation tell in advance that the cost for every additional person above the age of 4 is 50,- Euro. So if this misunderstanding gives a bad touch to your stay I am again very sorry.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at Villa Trapp and loved every minute.... Although the room (Maria's)Beas quite small it was cute, clean and comfortable with its own bathroom. The house itself was lovely with many pictures around of the Von Trapps. The hosts were lovely and Christopher was full of information and happy to share. Breakfast is in a lovely dining area with Mozart playing in the background. Buffet of European breakfast. Everyone seated at the one table which is nice for meeting other people. You basically have the run of the house and the main lounge is available for sitting, wireless Internet and chatting with other guests. We met some lovely people while there and spent several hours late one night chatting and exchanging stories.nReally though it's just the thrill of being there.. And we loved it. Take note the house is out of town although a pleasant 40 minute walk or 5 minutes to bus stop and 15 minutes on the bus. Overall lovely experience. A little expensive for a B&B though..

Room Tip: Keep a watch out on booking sites. While we were there we met a couple who managed to book one of the suites.. Huge and lovely... For 90 Euros. We paid 150 Euros on and other people on the same night booked way in advance and paid 300 euros. I did feel cheated after we were shown the suite by the other guests at such a great rate.
1  Thank Julestravelling
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We love Salzburg. Mozart and of course SOM are everywhere. So when you want to complete that, a stay in the former Von Trapp house is a very pleasant experience. The house breathes the athomosphere of that time. So it is in fact a jump back in history. Everywhere you find pictures that remind you of the singing family. It is what we expect from a stay in a castle-hotel.
The breakfast was pleasently arranged at a long familytable and the beds were just perfect.
Great place to stay a few nights!

1  Thank WIIm50
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in may 2012 and it was very nice. Loved the quite area for a walk ,and also the 10 minute walk to catch the bus into town. Don`t forget this is a B&B, and we were here because of Sound of Music history. Breakfast is at at a long table ,seating 12 people, so you may have to sit with people you don``t know, but we had a great time meeting people from Poland, Germany& Austria. We stayed in Maria`s suite, where she actually lived ,when she she came to teach the Von Trapp children. Last I would like people to let us know what type of room they have stayed in , single, twin, double ,deluxe ,suite.ect.ect, not just here ,but where ever they are staying.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank preben46
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights in a double room (2nd floor) in July. The room itself was fine, decent sized, and the bathroom and bed were clean. I have to admit I was really worried after reading some of the previous reviews! Location wise, it was fairly handy, 10m bus into the Old Town, or train in to the Hauptbanhof. Station Aigen is also on the route to the Hallein Salt Mines and on to the Eiswerten ice caves. From the bus stop/train station, it is a short (5m) walk to the property - but it is in a residential area, so it is quiet and darker at night then being in the town.

The room itself could do with some TLC; there were some scuff marks on the wall and the bathroom tap was missing the "cold water" tab. There was very intermittent internet while we were there - the staff lady (manager?) said the signal would keep falling out for some reason. Oh and the lift smells REALLY BAD.

It was also very hot during our stay, even with the window open overnight. We would have welcomed a fan/ airconditioning.

The main failing I feel with this place is the staff/ managers and how it is run. There is barely a welcome (although I think that depends on whether you are met by Christopher or by his partner), no introduction to the house/ room, no SoM / von Trapp history, no small talk. Most guests here book the place because they are enchanted with the idea of staying at the real Von Trapp house (as was I), and you want a bit of the "experience" while you are there. However, all we really got was the name on the gate to the property. Also, for SoM fans, you should be aware that this house never featured in the movie.

So, location wise, this place is good. My room was fine. But I probably wouldn't stay there again because I don't feel that there is enough invested into the place for it to be good value.

Room Tip: We had room 8.