“Welcoming & Charming”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Katherine...
“Welcoming & Charming”
Reviewed 3 April 2018 for a stay in March 2018

This house is so charming and was perfect for my family of 5. The location was perfect to the sites we wanted to see. The host, Ruth, was lovely and welcomed us into her home. I only wished we could stay longer. Will definitely be back and would love to come back in the summer time.

Your age range 35-49
5 Apr 2018
Thanks Katherine, it is a pleasure having met you and your family! Till next time;-) Ruth
ImmerWand...
Palos Heights, Illinois
“Great stay. Amazing views. Responsive owner”
Reviewed 12 January 2018 for a stay in September 2017
people found this review helpful

I needed a unit that could accommodate 5 persons, including my elderly parents that was a short distance away from the center of Hallstatt, and Ruth W’s house fit these requirements “to a T” Not that my parents were infirm by any means but they tend to tire easily so an 8-10 minute walk (depending on stops to take pictures) was just right.

Booking through TA went through fairly smoothly. Subsequent email communications with Ruth were likewise straightforward and prompt. Our family stayed in Vienna for a few days before driving out to Hallstatt and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from Ruth inquiring as to our wellbeing and updating us as to the arrangements for the rental.

One such arrangement was the use of vehicle entry passes; electrical gates at north and south ends of town limit entry to locals. Hallstatt is tiny with one narrow road parallel to the lake. A tunnel diverts traffic around town. Official parking lots are found north and south of the tunnel, those south of town were about 15 minutes brisk walk from the rental. Needless to say street parking is at a premium and while there was a short strip of parking spots just north of the rental only 2 were unassigned to locals and theoretically available to visitors. We had to park just outside the north gate, get the passes and then scan ourselves into town. Firstly, while we were able to enter the house there were no passes. A call to Ruth had her housekeeper deliver the said passes. Once last the gate we found that no parking was available. I unloaded family and luggage and drove on to the parking lots south of town - P1 or P2, I no longer remember which - where multi-day discounted parking was available for visitors staying in Hallstatt. The “visitor parking” was never available during our 3-night stay.

The parking problem was the only hiccup during our visit. The beds were comfy and I think we all slept well. The building is rustic, the wood floors creak in certain spots and the bathroom is small (and patience is required with 5 people) but this was a family home and never meant to be a high-end contemporary accommodation. The kitchen was of a decent size by European apartment standards and we all easily sat the dining table for breakfast (if not having “Frühstuck” at Konditorei Meislinger.

The best feature was the wooden balcony looking out on the lake, Hallstattersee. I would watch the sunrise each morning. One night the skies were so clear that even the glow of lights from nearby Obertraun could mask the multitude of stars. My siblings and I enjoyed the local brew (Hallstatter Bier, of course) out on the balcony. We never did make it down to the garden.

The house is on a slope below street level; the roof is at eye level from the street. A short steep staircase leads down to the entryway; a handrail might be helpful especially during winter when I could see the steps getting slippery with snow or ice.

Overall our family had a very good stay here, and we would recommend this unit anyone looking to rent a place to stay in Hallstatt

12 Jan 2018
Thanks for your great, detailed review and your realistic view!

For all those wanting to stay with us during wintertime: There is a handrail on the 5-steps staircase down to the entry of the house - it is on the left side;-)
Erick P
“Wakolbinger-Wieder = Superbbbbb”
Reviewed 27 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Hallstatt is a highlist of our trips and staying in Wakolbinger made it perfect. The View (on our picture), The Rooms, The Balcony, The History of the House, The Backyard .. Especially to the Owner, Ruth. Ruth is a very special nice Austrian Lady (we gonna miss ya) very details in giving information, direction, everything you need .. thats what we experienced about Wakolbinger .. Superrrrbbbbbbbb

30 Sep 2017
Thanks Erick - miss you all too;-)
tuscany19...
florida
“Not a true description, caveat emptor!”
Reviewed 16 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017
people found this review helpful

This will be a lengthy review, and meant to assist trip advisor readers.
We read the reviews and were certainly impressed.
We arrived on a cold rainy night, were met by the somewhat elderly lady of the house, she was pleasant and welcomed us.
We were shown the house and that queasy feeling set in, like this is not what I want. The location is excellent and the view like a postcard, ok that's the good stuff. Ruth asked us to sign the obligatory Austrian paperwork for our two night stay and gave us the several page list of rules, lights off, recycle, etc.
More rules than I care to worry about while on vacation.
I noticed a strong smell of smoke and asked about it, yep! It is a smokers house, boy, do I wish I checked that.
Another problem is that there is a common entrance, and the bathroom door is adjacent to the front door, so, if you decide to take a shower, better get dressed before leaving the bathroom.
We were surprised by the teen son of the owner walking in , since we thought they had a separate entrance.
The bathroom is very small, there were two paper thin bath towels, no soap ( there was shampoo) and a very high tub to step into. We dried our two towels on the radiator every night.
The bed was the worst part of the trip, rock hard, and pillows that have seen better days. The surroundings and decor are like a very cheap motel (with a view)
There was nothing in the kitchen but things like sugar, tea, I would gladly pay extra for a welcoming bread basket, tea cookies , but here, nothing. I guess the days of baking for guests are over, as one review mentioned. So we headed out in the rain before the grocery store in town closed at six. Also be aware that there is a 100 euro cleaning fee, that applies if you are there 2 nights or two weeks. Since we only slept there we paid ( we knew about this and tried to negotiate , to no avail) 100 euros to have the sheets washed.
Please be aware that sleeps five is not accurate, there is a double twin bed, the hard one, and a very very small room with a very small bed, so that's three.
There is a couch and I guess that's where the five comes in, but if the bed is that bad , good luck with the couch. I have stayed in Band Bs and guest houses all over the world, this was the worst.

22 Sep 2017
'There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.' Leonhard Cohen
Seaidol
Pennsylvania
“Wish we could've stayed two weeks!”
Reviewed 21 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

So thankful we were able to find this apartment for 3 day stay. It sits directly on the water, unreal views, spotlessly clean, well stocked kitchen, comfortable bed, easy to communicate with owner, Ruth. Wish we could make this an annual vacation stay. LOVED IT!

21 Jun 2017
Would be fun having you again! All the best for you!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing