All reviews the river lounge chairs rooftop pool top floor large balcony great hotel wellness centre road noise our room was spacious spa facilities vineyards village desk tunnel panorama summer cheese
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Ok, so how much time have you got?...

The hotel itself, as in the architecture and cleanliless are great, typically Austrian: Alpine and clean. Our room was spacious & impeccably clean, we were truly happy with the room. The woman at the reception and the one cleaning lady that we encounterted were both fantastically friendly and helpful. This is where anything positive ends. Full Stop.

My Austrian Husband and I (so what is to ensue was not in any way a language or cultural barrier and I, myself have been in Austria for 12 years now) wanted a couple of nights away from Vienna over the Xmas Holidays. We had difficulty finding an open hotel in the Wachau region and had setled upon Pfeffel as it looked nice. We had high hopes and were in need the romantic getaway. We checked in, all good, went for dinner and DISASTER STRUCK. We have never in our very well-traveled lives experienced anything so awful. From the service, to the food, this dinning experience is one that neither of us will likely ever forget. The main server, of two, we found out to be the owner's Grandson, so there was no use complaining there, he was a part of the problem. His arrogance precedes him. He was abrupt, continually walking away while we were still asking for something. Arguementative and defensive of the food when my husband was merely enquiring about the soups due to an allergy. All around, this young man was just plain rude. But oh my goodness! If this wasn't bad enough already, he was a GEM in comparison to his co-worker. She was of the sort that you knew without conversing was just miserable with life. Oh was she miserable and her face a permanent scowl. So, if you hate people, why on Earth work in the service industry?!? She was beyond rude, unhelpful, resentful, abrupt, RUDE, aggressive, unsuitable for the industry. She snapped at us for asking for a dinner knife, when the steak ordered arrived and my husband found that his knife was a butter knife. And that was just ONE instance, there were four in total. We finally just said enough. We paid the bill and told her that we'd had enough of her rudeness & this is where she started yelling at us, IN THE DINNING ROOM WITH OTHER GUESTS DINNING AND SHE'S YELLING. She told us that she was getting her boss. We waited. And waited. And waited. No one came and we eventually left. I could go on as we tried to get a drink at the bar but found absolutely no one at all around to serve us. We gave up (again) after 10 mins and just went to bed.

We had booked the room for two nights. We packed up and left without even so much as a coffee in the morning, lest we encountered either of the servers from the night before. Neither of which I'd trust not to spit your drink. I was crying, my husband thoroughly upset that I was upset and yeah, so much for our Romantic Holiday getaway in the Wachau (my favourite wine region)!

All of this was just so unnecessary and completely UN-characteristic of the Austrians, their attention to service detail and of Austrian food (which was also here in this restaurant, soooo very poor)! This restaurant is NOT in any way, shape or form indicative of this Nation. I love Austria, I love Austrian food and I've never experienced service alike to this anywhere. EVER. This was a disgrace to the country.

I added the positives. Nice hotel, impeccably clean, and the woman at reception was super as was a cleaning lady we met. But please, do not put yourself through the nightmare that we encountered. Less than mediocre (as a few reviewers have commented), this restaurant in food quality & presentation is poor, the service worse than I have words for. We are still so thoroughly upset at our treatment here, it will not be forgotten any time soon and we will most definitely be sharing this info with all we know heading to the Wachau. It was just appalling (to bead a dead horse.)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shauna B
Reviewed 5 November 2017

I like to come to this when staying in Wachau because of the roof top wellness. There is several saunas and a swimming pool on the roof top terrace overlooking the Danube river. The rooms are nice and clean for a decent price. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Tried this hotel trough an event invitation and stayed one night. The hotel is a little bit outdated. Rooms, bathroom, furniture, everything. Although clean and ok but for the asked prices per person and per night you can get a tip top hotel in Vienna city center. Otherwise the personnel was very nice and very friendly. Did not tried the spa though. Sorry but will not be a next time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We stayed there on a hot end of the summer day, when we checked in, they indicated that there us an AC in the room, they don't, They supposed to have a "cooling system" to keep the room on the cool side but it was much warmer that the outside, we asked for a fan but the staff refused the provide it. The service at dinner was unpleasant and the menu is very limited, food is mediocre. Breakfast was good. Our room was spacious, but our friends received a small and uncomfortable room. The hotel is also located not in town and a taxi may cost more the 20 euros just to travel 10 min. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else RSTMN 6/10

Room Tip: look for rooms in the new quarter, not all rooms are the same
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RSTMN
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We visited here for a couple of nights, and would definitely come back. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff polite, attentive and knowledgeable. The breakfasts are buffet style with and extensive range of food available ranging from a range of nuts, fresh fruit, smoothies, pickle veg, cured meats, cheeses to cooked breakfast. There is a wide range of fresh fruit juices and teas plus of course coffee. The roof top pool is well worth a visit, if just for the view. The only downside which stops me awarding the 5 Star rating is the road noise, which you can't hear inside your room but will if you are on your balcony or eating on the terrace. That said i would visit again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple