“Not worth the money”

Book In Advance
More Info
USD 56.67*
and up
Traditional Cuisine & Cultural Foods - City...
Ranked #2 of 2 Food & Drink in Larnaca
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer walking & chauffeur driven food & wine tours in Larnaca, Limassol and Nicosia. Enjoy a tastier way of discovering the island with Cyprus Taste Tours. We'll take you to hidden hot-spots, unknown to the average tourist and you'll be introduced to delis, bars and restaurants that cook up the very best in authentic Cypriot cuisine along with other great flavours. Strolling through side streets away from the commercial buzz or driving around the scenic mountains, it promises a real opportunity to soak up the true culture of the island and a great introduction to the food & drink scene with a chance to see some sites along the way!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We did the snack tour, came for a week to larnaka, on the second morning, we did the 2 hour snack tour, paid 75€ for me and my wife, the 2 kids 6 and 9 yrs old joined for free. The host was very nice and welcoming, she took us to the center of the city and introduced us to places there, so if you are looking for someone to show you around it could b a good idea.. we wanted the local taste.. she took us to eat “kuba” in one stop filled w pork meat, in the second a kind of “burekas”, in the third a local veg dish w colyflower and at the end some sweat dish. Total cost of the food around 10€.. I wrote her the same day that I’m deeply disappointed and my wife didn’t even touch the food.. for the next few days until now ( 5 days ) she said she will take us on a free tour if there are any requests and off course there weren’t, and since we are leaving tomorrow I asked for a partly refund .. she refused..
it feels like she was misleading us.. we didn’t want a tour in the city we wanted a real food tasting.. and we were disappointed and it effected the whole holiday! The sad part was that she went on and on and tried to convince me that I got what I paid for! 75€ for basically not so much...

cyprustastetours, Owner at Cyprus Taste Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear fellow TripAdvisor users, thank you for taking the time to read this management response to our first bad review.
I'll start by clearing up some inconsistencies in the information above. The tour in question involved the following...

1. Welcome snack = Traditional Halloumi Bread & Almond Cake
2. Cafe stop - 1 x plate of cheese filled pastry & 1 x plate of custard cream filled pastry (Greek Bougatsa)
3. Traditional products store - shoujouko, pastelaki & loukoumi
4. Traditional cookhouse - Tarrow stew & cauliflower stew served with village bread, tomatoes and cucumbers
5. Cafe stop - Koubes (mince pork with herbs & spices rolled in bulgar wheat and fried)
6. Restaurant Cafe - Cyprus Anari Cheesecake with carob syrup & candied figs (plus a cappuccino that this participant ordered independently and was paid by Cyprus Taste Tours)
7. Thank you gift - Carob chocolate bar
8. Colouring activity booklet provided for each child

Although the food and venues on our tours varies from tour to tour we're consistently well-known for generous portions on all of our experiences. I have also uploaded whatever photos of the dishes I have. As you can see from my description above and the photos - all of this cost significantly more than €10.00. We also include a set of handouts consisting of 8pgs plus a souvenir postcard. There are also other day-to-day running costs and admin costs to consider and of course the time of the guide. This participant also states that his wife didn't eat anything on the tour - I'm not sure why he wrote this as of course I was present and even have photos of her digging into the food! She enjoyed everything that was on offer at each stop except the kouba - and this was only because the participant failed to read the sign-up form properly and when asked 'Do you or anyone in your group have any allergies, dietary restrictions or foods you don't like to eat?' He answered 'No' to this question. Of course had he filled this box in correctly and stated that his wife did not eat pork, this snack would not have been included. And of course he told us about this dietary restriction after the food had been ordered and served.

This participant signed up to our snack tour without reading the tour description even though the direct link had been sent to him before he signed up. The description on our website is very clear that the tour involves "bites" at each stop and that bottled water is included only.
It is priced at €37.50pp and €15.00 per child although we did not charge for his children.

After the tour he complained that drinks were not included and that the food only consisted of snacks and not dishes. I explained to him that he signed up to the snack tour and that the description on our website clearly states that it includes snacks. When he complained that the cost of the food was a lot less than what he paid I explained to him that when booking a food tour there is also the cost of the guide, organisation and admin costs to consider. He then said that he had done other food tours that included more at the same price. When I asked him to send me details of these tours to review, he failed to send me anything priced at a similar cost and sent me just one link to a Barcelona dinner tour priced at €74pp and €64 per child.
I explained that we also have the equivalent of this tour (http://cyprustastetours.com/dinner-tour/) and that if he had read the website descriptions properly he could have requested our dinner tour (rather than booking the snack tour) which we have priced at €75pp and €35 per child. He continued to complain that it didn't matter that he hadn't read the description properly and that the tour should have included more. Our dinner tour is just €1pp more for adults and €29pp cheaper per child, an hour longer and includes more stops than the reference tour he had sent me. As he had sent this link as an example of a tour he had taken and was happy with we therefore assumed he was happy to pay these kind of prices. We then offered him a full €75.00 refund in the form of a voucher so that he could put the money he had paid on the snack tour towards our dinner tour which is clearly the experience he had expected. He turned this down and asked for a cash refund but as stated in our terms and conditions (which he agreed to during the signup process) we cannot give a cash refund after a tour has taken place. We also offered him free attendance for his full family of four to join another dinner tour booking if one was requested during his dates. Unfortunately as he was only staying another 5 days a request did not come up. The fact that he was willing to join a tour for free meant to us that he had the time to take another tour and since he was willing to pay more in total for the equivalent Barcelona tour - it was very confusing to us why he didn't take us up on the offer to book a private tour and use his €75.00 voucher refund. I also asked him to send me at least one relevant link to another food tour he had taken at the same price which included more and he was not able to send me anything.

This participant was exceptionally rude after the tour had taken place and his complaints involved unnecessary and inappropriate comments. He also disturbed us during our Easter festivities with family insisting that we should make time to find a way to bring him €40.00 cash as reimbursement, which as stated in our terms and conditions, is not possible. We strongly feel that this participant could easily have come to the conclusion that he wouldn't be happy to pay the tour price by simply reading the tour description he was sent. As he states in his own review 'if you are looking for someone to show you around then it's a good idea". This is exactly what a food tour is - a guide who spends their time to show you the best places to eat and to help you get your bearings of the city while tasting food along the way. The concept that you are paying for a local to give you insider information about where to eat, food and more while enjoying local delicacies seems to be lost on this participant and while we are truly very sorry that he was disappointed we do feel we that we tried to compensate him as best we could within our policies. Despite this upsetting experience we have of course offered to send him his €75.00 gift voucher for future use should he re-visit Cyprus.

All reviews
"cyprus"
in 36 reviews
"winery"

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

What a great tour. We met Yiota at the Medieval Fort and from there we went to a lovely little bar which had only been open a week and looked like someone’s front room! We had a traditional liquor called mastic (not sure how it’s spelt!). We then went to a few more places of tasting food before arriving at a little place which made honey balls (little balls of light donuts covered in a light honey syrup). Simply heaven!! We finished the tour at a traditional restaurant for a huge Meze meal with a host called Phillip who was great fun. Thanks Yiota for a great evening. Would thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank tanned_and_happy351
cyprustastetours, Owner at Cyprus Taste Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear Donna, many thanks for your wonderful review, we appreciate the positive feedback! We really did visit some local gems :)

Reviewed 31 October 2017

A multi-restaurant food tour of Larnaca - original and imaginative. The food was consistently varied, interesting and delicious. Yoda took us round several restaurants brilliantly and was a mine of knowledge on Cypriot cuisine, and everything else to do with Cyprus for that matter. We also found early evening Larnaca a delightful place to tour. The multi- restaurant tasting format is well worth doing. Tip: don't eat lunch before it because you will get 2 meals worth of food on the tour.

1  Thank Patrick W
cyprustastetours, Owner at Cyprus Taste Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear Patrick, many thanks for your sweet review, I'm very glad that you enjoyed it! Yiota

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Great experience wandering through the streets of Larnaca and eating a LOT of delicious local food. Yiota went at our pace, with interesting facts about the history of Larnaca and Cyprus. She was more than happy to provide us with helpful tips for the rest of the stay, and didn't overwhelm us with information. Very knowledgeable and a very enjoyable afternoon/evening. Come hungry if you do it, and pace yourself!

1  Thank RebberWilson

Dear Rebecca and family, many thanks for taking the time to write a lovely review! Take care