“Best trout I've had - excellent location”

The Old Mill Cafe Bar
Ranked #4 of 19 Restaurants in Kakopetria
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Great trout, great wine, great service, great location. Not the cheapest, but well worth it. Recommend walk up through old village, then back down along river to the restaurant.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Our lunch, there were three of us was preceded by a walk up through the village. The locals were at their doors in some instances ready to serve us if we wanted any of the preserves and fresh fruit they sell to visitors. I bought some fresh figs, Delicious, subtly different to the figs we get back in the U.K.. We walked down to the stream that used to power the old mill and across to the Mill carpark. From there we took the lift to the restaurant.
We ate on the veranda looking across that part of the Troodos Mountains. Kakopetria, broken stone or rock in the original Greek. I have never tasted trout this good anywhere else, ever, is in the foothills and the views are great. We started with a salad and bread and moved on to the speciality of the house, succulent, wonderful grilled trout, deboned and spread out on one's plate in a lemon and garlic sauce - or without it in my case because I can't abide garlic. A yoghourt ice cream and fruits pudding rounded it off to perfection.
The owner, complete with white haired pony tail, stopped by our table for a chat. Interesting man: turned out that when he was considerably younger he had lived in Wood Green and travelled each day up to town to work in a London restaurant. I think the bill for the three of us including two large bottles of Keo beer was about 78 Euros excluding a tip. Very good value I thought.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Without a doubt this is a lovely place to fine dine. We return here every year at least once, maybe twice whilst on a ten day holiday. The service and welcome is
excellent and the food is wonderful. The menu is very varied in choices and caters for all appetites and tastes.
We had the hot trout for starters which was delicious. The main courses varied in our party of four with sirloin steak, mussels, and two other appetising meals. It wouldn't matter what you ordered, as all the choices are lovely. Thank you for a super time and meal and many more to come. (If going at the weekend, booking would be a good idea. Email booking was acknowledged almost by return).

Reviewed 8 October 2017

The vote was affected by the "final" experience.
The place is located at the entrance of the Old Kakopetria town.
Food is average, without any particular highlight but it has a nice view over the old village. We tried, mussels (left half of them), the trout (it was ok), feta cheese, red pepper with cheese (pepper itself was ok, the cheese almost tasteless) and we ordered a bottle of Chablis.

The surprise came when we paid the bill.
The total was 128 Euro and I paid with 2 notes of 50 Euro and 2 notes of 20 (I was leaving around 10% of tips)
I was absolutely sure of how I paid because I used an ATM just prior entering the restaurant and the money withdrawn was the ONLY money I had.
When I checked the money the ATM gave me there were no 10 Euro notes (this is important to understand what happened later)

Leaving the restaurant (I was not waiting for the change) I was called by the management claiming I "did not pay enough".

Looking at the money, he show me 1 piece of 50 Euro 1 piece of 20 and 2 pieces of 10 euro.

My suspect is that my payment was "altered" by swapping a piece of 20 with 2 pieces of 10 and the 50 euro note "removed" from the lot to make it look like I was confused and gave 10 euro instead of 50.
This could have been clever if I did not have just taken money from the ATM as I was entirely without cash prior the restaurant and it was easy for me to check if I made a mistake.

When I counted the money I had left in my wallet it was exactly the money withdrawn minus 140 euro (128 plus 12 euro tips I wanted to give).

The management rudely continued to assert it was me and they even show me a video (showing only the time when the money was placed in the cash but obviously not a video showing the waiter going from my place to the cashier).

I paid another 50 euro (with the management still shouting back at me that it was my fault) and told the management they will never see us again (we live in Limassol)

There are plenty of other restaurants in kakopetria that deserve a shot but my advise is if you go in this place, pay with credit card unless you don't want to be ripped off by cheap tactics to increase the price paid that will completely ruin your experience of the village visit.

4  Thank AlessandroLimassol
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We have been going to the Mills for years, just the family (4), with friends and guests and the experience is always pleasant to great. If you get the chance sit outside and enjoy the clean air and view, or at least have your coffee there, even if its cold. The food is consistently good quality, service is friendly and prompt. The trout is the special however the kids love the local ravioli and we tried teh mussels for the 1st a tiem and they were very good. Only bad points: parking is hard to find if parking lot is full and it can be a bot pricey.