“Best view on island”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Very friendly family run hotel. Amazing view of Grand Harbour from our room, dining room and roof garden. You could spend the all your time watching the boats going past if you wish. Valleta is a facinating 16th century world heritage site built by the knights templers. There are plenty of restaurants and bars near by to visit.
As all the buses on the island start from Valletta and no journey is more than 40 mins, you can explore all of Malta while staying in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kellyhawking

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Grand Harbour Hotel in Valletta has the best views across the harbour entrance and the enclosed balcony was a place you did not want to leave. The warm and friendly welcome from all the staff made our holiday feel extra special. While the Grand Harbour does not meet five star quality, its staff, its welcome and ongoing care and attention to guests certainly do.
Better than any holiday resort.
Thank you all.

Room Tip: Book in advance - standard room with seaview
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shielah4
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel. I was away with a group of uni students and our lecturers as part of an archaeological fieldtrip around Malta. I really cannot say anything very good about this 'hotel' other than the workers were quite pleasant and helpful. The building itself is awful, never have I stressed so much about staying in a place. We arrived Tuesday lunchtime and checked in. I was sharing a room with 2 female classmates and as we made our way up to the 4th floor (the lift is extremely tiny and DODGY) we were rather nervous about what our room would be like. We opened the old wooden door and were hit with THE MOST AWFUL strong, musty smell. It was unreal, it just hit you hard. Holding our noses we managed to open the rickety window and shutters to let in some air. I will tell you now, a day's airing did nothing at all. The smell prevailed. The 'ensuite' was actually a toilet and shower in the corner of the room surrounded by flimsy plastic stud walling. You could hear anything and everything through it. The room was freezing at night, with only 1 plug in radiator to generate heat. Furniture and bedlinen was OLD. the room just STANK bigtime. The sheets were constantly cold and damp-feeling, as if the room had laid empty and unaired for months.
Breakfast consisted of sliced BREAD and tea / coffee. Nothing else.
On the 3rd night we had to move rooms as my friend found a bed bug on her bed sheet. We freaked out bigtime as bed bugs are just NOT acceptable, but to be honest, it is the kind of place you'd expect to find them in. We got moved 2 floors up to a smaller attic-style room which thankfully did not stink, but we were just paranoid from then on about sleeping in the beds.
I really did not enjoy my stay at the 'Grand Harbour Hotel'. Valletta itself is a fabulous place with many narrow, hilly streets, town squares, restaurants, fountains, shops and fabulous views. The central bus station provides good access to many other areas of Malta, and bus fares are dirt cheap.
Considering I paid £300 for a 5 day trip to Malta, I pray that the majority of that money went on paying the air fares rather than to the 'hotel', because it really DID NOT DESERVE IT. fair enough the workers were pleasant, but the building itself needs GUTTING and re-doing. This could easily be done on an Ikea-style budget, but still bring the hotel up a few stars. It definitely isn't even 2 stars. I give it 1 max.
Please do not waste your money. I recommend the 5 star Phoenicia Hotel at the bus station!!!!
Just because I am a student does not mean I am happy to stay in minging accommodation. I have standards.

• Stayed: February 2011
7  Thank MayFairQueenBaby
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We spent four nights in this hotel and really liked it.
It’s location is perfect, half way between two Barakka Gardens.
Our room (1 Twin room type "A" sea view on bed and continental breakfast basis & rate (€56.00) per night)) was on the 2nd floor and we had a normal and a close balcony with perfect harbour view. I liked it so much.
The hotel is an old basic hotel with old furniture and bathroom, but it was clean.
The breakfast was very basic (coffee, tea, orange juice, rolls, jam, cheese, butter).
The staff was helpful.
The only problem was the noise at nights. There was alive music in the bar at the small bridge near hotel on Friday and there were a noisy group in the hotel and we also heard everything from the hotel bar.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2010

This hotel is perfect as a basis for a fully visit of Malta: 5 minutes walking from city gate bus station.
The grand harbour view is exceptional and for dinner multiple restaurants are within 10 minutes walking.
People at the reception is nice, person rotation during all day.
My room was at first floor sea view, good idea to not use lift quite old and small, no more than one person with one person and suitcase; opening door, first impression was that time for my room was stopped at east 30 years ago but beds and bathroom was confortable and clean.
Restaurant close to the hotel is open only during the day and is not a noisy.
Unfortunately during night, room at first floor is not a good suggestion for a quiet holiday especially during hte week end because at random time, lorries stop just under the room to load-unload and a lot of people is involved in this job. they to this as at full day.
Phone ringng and reception noise is with you in the room.
Sometimes, when you are in your bed, smoke smell comes in the room; smoking is not allowd in reception, but....
Breakfast is essential, served at 7th floor building: 5 floor ramping a narrow staircase, but when entering in the breakfast room, view reward the effort. Terrace is available with one more floor

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple