2,589 results
All reviews club bar the palm court phoenix restaurant infinity pool the bus grand old lady old world charm public rooms main restaurant city gate elegant hotel old style star hotel a harbour view room main gate building work fourth floor
Reviewed 15 May 2018

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel despite some reservations which I will come to. It is perfectly located just outside the main gate to Valletta. The city itself is quite compact so from the hotel you could walk its length in 20 minutes and its breadth in 10. The hotel is on a spit which stretches through lovely gardens from the building at one end to the swimming pool at the other. (This is quite a long walk so not for the infirm). The infinity pool and its surrounding area with a magnificent view of the Grand Harbour are one of the best aspects of the hotel. There is bar with friendly service, a perfect place for tea or a drink. They are soon to offer food too.

The hotel has recently been refurbished mostly attractively. Though, as others have said, the glass pillars in the main lounge are a hazard which they need to sort out before someone has a serious accident. Personally, I liked the old rattan furniture which others have criticised. Our sea-facing room was on the small side with a tiny balcony but pleasant and airy. The staff are all extremely helpful, particularly Jonathan on the concierge's desk. He made excellent recommendations for activities and restaurants and sorted out bookings with infinite patience.

This hotel should get a 5 star rating but it isn't quite there. It didn't feel like anyone was setting a standard of excellence. For instance, the housekeeping service was erratic. Some days it was hard to tell our room had been done with the crumpled bed cover simply pulled up and the second pillows left on the floor where we had put them overnight. I don't mind not having clean towels every day but I expect them to be folded not just left where I have flung them over a rail. Our sheets were not changed in 5 days. Does a supervisor ever check the rooms or show the staff what is expected? It didn't look like it. The contrast with a 5 star hotel where I've just stayed in Dublin couldn't have been more marked - rooms always tidied, clothes folded, bedlinen pristine.

Breakfasts also seemed disorganised. The food was fine but waiters didn't have specific tables, so either you got no attention or too much. Twice we were still waiting for our coffee after we had finished a generous breakfast. Cocktails in the bar were disappointing. The only good ones we had were made in the lounge not the bar.

It wouldn't take much to fix these quibbles. Managers, where are you? This could be a better hotel!

4  Thank ANGELAHOL
Reviewed 13 May 2018

The Phoenicia has been recently renovated, so everything is fresh and newly decorated. We stayed a full week, and really pleased we chose this hotel. Breakfast is fabulous, and there is a wide array of choice. We loved the infinity pool, with its view over the harbour. Service is excellent.

Room Tip: Next time I would choose a higher floor with views
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg B
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

After a great 7 week trip around Italy and Malta we decided to spend a couple of nights at the Phoenicia right at the old gate to the ancient city. A perfect location. We had earlier had 2 nights in an apartment at the Gates to the ancient city of Taormina using only one of the 4 bedrooms but two of the bathrooms in a beautiful spacious place. The apartment cost half of the tiny tiny ‘superior’ room at the Phoenicia Hotel.

We could not complain about the service, the staff at the Phoenicia were just great and the pool and gardens impressive. Being on a 7 week holiday my wife and I had two large suitcases and our pull along carryon bags. When we got into our room we could only open one bag at a time. It was uncomfortably cramped. This experience confirmed why we no longer stay at hotels Airbnb apartments are better value and provide a far superior experience. I’m sure the cost of these apartments will rise but it will take them a long time to get to the cost of an equivalent hotel room in a 5 star hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RMYardley
Reviewed 12 May 2018

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at the Phoenicia on a short break. One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Our room was a superior double and although on the small side it was a lovely room which was spotlessly clean and stayed that way due to the staff who serviced it each day. A free minibar was refilled daily with beer, water, fruit juice and cola.Breakfast was a varied selection with eggs cooked to order and a wide range of other options both cooked and cold. Service was excellent. All the public rooms were elegant and restful. The infinity swimming pool overlooked the Grand Harbour and was a peaceful and relaxing area to spend time- bar staff and poolside attendants couldn't have been more helpful.
The hotel is situated just a short stroll from the city gate and is ideal for popping in and out of Valletta. The hotel was the highlight of our trip.

1  Thank 3,574
Reviewed 11 May 2018

My wife and I have just returned from a week in this lovely hotel which is in the perfect location for visiting the main attractions in Valletta and also for catching buses to other attractions in other areas of Malta.
The recent renovation has been carried out sympathetically and the staff are very friendly and courteous and appear to be trying very hard to please.
There are however, certain issues which need to be addressed in order to put this hotel up there with the best.
We were disappointed to discover that the spa area is still nowhere near completion and in my opinion it will not be ready for many more months as activity on the project was difficult to spot!
We had booked a Harbour View room and specifically requested a balcony, which we did not get, but after speaking to a very helpful member of staff this was rectified the following morning. These rooms are lovely but the cane furniture is rather dated and unhygienic.
Please be aware that these rooms overlook the terrace area and during our stay there were weddings taking place on two nights, one of which had unacceptably loud music until late evening. We voiced our disapproval to reception and we received an apology from the duty manager who handled the matter very professionally.
I agree with other reviewers that the concrete floor at the pool area is very slippery when wet and also that the large perspex columbs in the Palm Court are a hazard as I myself walked into one of them having not noticed it.
Breakfast is good but we have experienced better elsewhere. A wider selection of salad items should be available.
This hotel has great potential to be up there with the best 5 star hotels and is, no doubt the best in Valletta but more attention needs to be paid to detail as these little things make a huge difference.
We would like to send special thanks to Charlo, Annabella and Denilson for their service, help and professionalism during our stay.
We would certainly stay at this hotel again but would choose a town view next time due to the unwanted loud music from wedding celebrations.

Room Tip: Be aware of possible noise from wedding celebrations if staying in Harbour View rooms.
4  Thank philardy