“A transfer that did not show up”

SMS Group - S Mifsud & Sons Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 68.33*
and up
Full-Day Gozo Island Tour from Valletta
Ranked #183 of 214 Tours in Island of Malta
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We booked through EBookers and the vouchers stated that a representative would be waiting for us in the arrivals lounge. After much hunting we realised that not rep was present and a rep from another company pointed us towards the SMS desk. The lady behind the desk could not locate our booking so walked us down a corridor where to another desk which was seemed to be run by two people who were clearly under massive pressure and losing the plot a bit. All they did was repeatedly bark at me 'Where are you going ?, How many are you ? I will try for you !" - At one point I was told a transfer was 15 minutes away but this didn't transpire. Eventually I asked if I was better getting a Taxi and the rep admitted he could not get me a transfer. 1 hour wasted - I was not the only one walking away in disgust.

I then had to join a queue for a taxi that was an hour long - thanks for that SMS.

The return transfer showed up, I phoned them on the day and made sure they had my details but even then they had my name wrong (first and middle name rather than surname and for some reason though I had a baby with me)

Why are EBookers (Expedia) using this company ? Reading through other reviews my experience seems fairly typical.

2  Thank David B
"blue grotto"
"rabat"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Having booked Malta last minute I had little time to research getting to Gozo independently. The Jet2 rep, through who we booked, was great so we booked this tour. Do not do it.

The tour guide was very rude and was preparing to drive off and leave us at Gozo ferry terminal as we became split up from the group due to large crowds. When we found the coach, about to drive off, he shouted at us for not following him!

You are given nothing more than 20 or 30 minutes to look around the sights due to being taken to a 'craft centre' to buy local products. Clearly the guide makes money from this. Our visit to Rabat/Victoria consisted of being walked to a 30 minute film of Gozo and then being given 20 minutes to look around before being met back in the square.

The worst part was the all inclusive lunch. Taken at the grottiest restaurant with all the coach party shoved upstairs on trestle tables and then fed slop with little choice. The guide and driver were not eating here either which sends out a clear statement.

It was the first holiday excursion I have ever done and it will be my last. We hired a car the next day and I suggest you do the same.

2  Thank EScattergood
SMSResortServices, Manager at SMS Group - S Mifsud & Sons Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Dear EScattergood,

Thanks for your comments.

Kindly can you contact us on tours@sms.com.mt with more details like date of tour and name of guide so we can investigate further.

We can assure you that we try as much as possible to find the best available guides in Malta to accompany clients on our tours.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

This company are lying extortionists who pray on the vulnerable to make money with ZERO consideration for ethics and decency.

As a disabled wheelchair user I was sat in front of my rep, who is also basically a salesperson for this disgrace of a company, in my wheelchair. I have never been to Malta or Gozo before so I was reliant on the information that I gained from this rep.

The Rep was perfectly happy to make his commission by selling me the full day tour of Gozo (Euros 58). On the day of the trip we went by coach to the ferry across to Gozo and were met by another coach. This proceeded to take us to the Ggantija Temples ( a wonderfully historic site) however this is NOT a wheelchair accessible site!!!

We then proceeded to the craft village of which the 2 shops that we visited had huge steps that required other guests on the tour to pick me up to get across the threshold and once inside I was unable to manoeuvre within the shop due to narrow isles.

Lunch was okay after the helpful fellow guests helped carry me once again over the threshold.

Then we moved onto Dwejra Cliffs where the Azure Window used to be, I was stuck in the car park for the duration of this trip.

Then onto the capital of Gozo, Victoria, where the main attraction is St. Gorges which... as you guessed it ... I could not access.

Having appealed to this company to recognise the lack locations that I could participate at. And asking for just a simple apology for unethically selling me this trip. I also asked for a 'small token gesture of good will' .

Their response was 'Well you spent the whole day out on the trip so no' 'nothing we can do' 'tough' '

My question is how was I supposed to know I could not access the various sites until I got there if the salesperson is unprofessional and unethical enough not to inform me prior to selling the tour to me??????

SMSResortServices, Manager at SMS Group - S Mifsud & Sons Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Good Morning PhotoColin,

Please can you send me an e mail on nbuhagiar@sms.com.mt with name of rep and date of tour so we can investigate further.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

We booked 3 tours through the Thomas cook rep at our hotel. The 1st tour was to the blue grotto and Marsaxlok. The good thing about the tours is that they pick you up from the hotel, however the man who picked us up had no ID, could barely speak English and had a white ford transit people carrier that had seen better days. We eventually realised he was there to pick us up and he drove us to meet the other people on the tour. We were all told to board one of the red malta tour buses. On the way to the blue grotto, the guide was speaking on the microphone, but it kept cutting out which was extremely irritating, so we were unable to understand what was being said. When we got to the blue grotto, we had to pay extra to go on the boat. We were given enough time to have the boat ride, buy a drink and walk back to the bus. At Marsaxxlok we had just enough time to walk through the market and back again.

The 2nd tour was great. We went to Gozo and the tour guide was awesome. He was funny as well as being really knowledgeable about the temple. This tour was great however there wasn't enough time really.

The 3rd tour was so bad. We went to Mdina and Mosta and some other surrounding areas. The tour guide was not friendly. Whenever we got off the bus, we were given a tour where we had to follow her but had no time to look at anything properly. In a craft centre, we were allowed 25 minutes!!! Worst of all, in Mdina, my mother became unwell and so we sat down on a bench. When we got up, the whole tour was gone. They left us in the middle of Mdina. It was only by luck that we walked down one of the streets and managed to find them. Appalling.

Dear 11fi0na,

With reference to your comments kindly can you send me an e mail on nbuhagiar@sms.com.mt with more details i.e. date of tour, name of guide etc.... so we can investigate further.

I can assure you that we do our utmost not to have any complaints and that our tours would be enjoyable so your e mail would be greatly appreciated.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Having neve been to Gozo, we decided to book a full day tour to ensure we saw the high point and were provided with lunch. We selected an SMS tour from those available at our hotel, but in truth all of the full featured tours offered similar service.
We were to firmly to be ready for pickup at 7.45, the bus finally appeared half an hour later. This set the tone for the day, late to the ferry, had to wait; late to the attraction, rushed around;late to lunch( quite good though)food literally thrown down the tables; late to The Azure Window, which feel down and is now a rock pile; rush to craft centre which was very average; rush to view video about Gozo then "free time" in Rabat, finally a rush, on foot, through Rabat then back to the ferry. Whew!!!!!
On the upside, the guide was knowledgable and funny, the places visited were as advertised and the bus air conditioning worked.
Worth the trip? As a first experience of Gozo the tour was pretty much as expected, not brilliant and not awful. Having been once we would return, but arrange our own travel.
Please Note-It was VERY hot, even in early May, be prepared
-There is a lot of walking involved, the various sites have facilities for those less able, but if you have impaired mobiliy check with the tour operator.

1  Thank pmel018
SMSResortServices, Manager at SMS Group - S Mifsud & Sons Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Good Morning pmel018,

Thanks for your feed back about the Gozo Tour.

Unfortunately we do not have any control about the number of persons that would be going to Gozo so yes sometimes we have to wait in the queue to get up on the ferry.

With regards to the tour being rushed we try as much as possible to give the client the opportunity to see of how much he can form the island of Gozo in 1 day.

Thanks you for the positive comment about the lunch and the guide.

Nathalie