All reviews murray family afternoon tea dining room four poster bed first class country house owners and staff excellent food prince rupert sandwiches fine dining wedding anniversary st clements head chef a real treat lovely grounds high standard
Reviewed 7 January 2018

We stayed for the 3 day Christmas break in the wonderful old slice of England. The rooms were excellent. The staff very helpful and friendly. The food was so consistently good that we nearly expired from overeating. This is a five star experience. The weather was dire but you really can't blame the hotel!
If you can afford it this is a fabulous experience.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Duncan M, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Adrian P

I am so delighted that you enjoyed your Christmas with us. As we have a house party feel here at Christmas, it is always such a joy to us if everyone enjoys themselves! We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

excellent period hotel set in lovely countryside with attentive and helpful staff and good food - we stayed in one of the period rooms which was reached through the very large first floor lounge/hall - quite wonderful!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear 2008

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to the next time!

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

What can I say we had a fabulous lunch, the staff were very accommodating, no problems with my husband being gluten free. It felt like we were having a private dining experience as there was only two tables for lunch. All dishes were very tasty and I would say my favourite was the chocolate melt in the middle tart, so warm and gooey and I am not the biggest chocolate lover. Would highly recommend a meal, very reasonably priced in a fabulous setting.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Lorna S

Thank you v ery much for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed your lunch and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

We had a short stay with our dog and ate in the restaurant. Room was very comfortable with all necessary facilities. There were only a few guests so dining was quiet but the service and food were excellent!
We had a lovely couple of hours chatting with the owners who made us feel so welcome - it was just as though we were private guests. It was so nice to hear the history of the family's ownership. Lovely open fires in the public rooms completed the picture of a country house in winter.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Head_Honcho

Sorry I'm so late in answering your lovely comments but I'm delighted that you had a good time with us. Your comments are particularly nice for us as who whole idea is that guests fell that they are in a private house but with top quality service and food. So thank you.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

Lewtrenchard Manor is set in a lovely part of Devon and this historical building with a tiny very old church nearby is in a peaceful and pleasant environment. We visited with a group of friends to have a pre Christmas lunch together.
We had a set menu which was very reasonably priced £22.50 for two courses.
The staff are very professional and yet very friendly and there is a nice balance between good service and relaxed 'being at home feel'.

The choices on the set menu consisted of three choices per course. I had the beetroot cured Salmon which was a little disappointing on taste and texture for me (and I have had a lot better at Lewtrenchard) but beautifully presented. I then had Hake with lentils, capers and cauliflower. This was beautifully cooked and flavoursome. There was ample home made bread presented with the meal and the amuse bouche we had before hand if I remember correctly potato and leek soup with a truffle oil garnish was delicious.

I am not a great dessert person but I had the chocolate dessert which was a little too rich for me, but again beautifully presented with interesting textures (crisp garnishes etc)

I especially love visiting Lewtrenchard in the summer because of its setting. They use a lot of their own produce - so worth a visit.

Room tip: Stayed previously but this time we were only visiting the restaurant
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear happyholiday girl059

Thank you very much for your very nice review and i am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch. We have taken on board all your comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.