All reviews murray family afternoon tea dining room four poster bed country house first class owners and staff excellent food prince rupert sandwiches st clements head chef a real treat lovely grounds wedding anniversary high standard fine dining
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

What can I say we had a fabulous lunch, the staff were very accommodating, no problems with my husband being gluten free. It felt like we were having a private dining experience as there was only two tables for lunch. All dishes were very tasty and I would say my favourite was the chocolate melt in the middle tart, so warm and gooey and I am not the biggest chocolate lover. Would highly recommend a meal, very reasonably priced in a fabulous setting.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Duncan M, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Lorna S

Thank you v ery much for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed your lunch and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

We had a short stay with our dog and ate in the restaurant. Room was very comfortable with all necessary facilities. There were only a few guests so dining was quiet but the service and food were excellent!
We had a lovely couple of hours chatting with the owners who made us feel so welcome - it was just as though we were private guests. It was so nice to hear the history of the family's ownership. Lovely open fires in the public rooms completed the picture of a country house in winter.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Head_Honcho

Sorry I'm so late in answering your lovely comments but I'm delighted that you had a good time with us. Your comments are particularly nice for us as who whole idea is that guests fell that they are in a private house but with top quality service and food. So thank you.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

Lewtrenchard Manor is set in a lovely part of Devon and this historical building with a tiny very old church nearby is in a peaceful and pleasant environment. We visited with a group of friends to have a pre Christmas lunch together.
We had a set menu which was very reasonably priced £22.50 for two courses.
The staff are very professional and yet very friendly and there is a nice balance between good service and relaxed 'being at home feel'.

The choices on the set menu consisted of three choices per course. I had the beetroot cured Salmon which was a little disappointing on taste and texture for me (and I have had a lot better at Lewtrenchard) but beautifully presented. I then had Hake with lentils, capers and cauliflower. This was beautifully cooked and flavoursome. There was ample home made bread presented with the meal and the amuse bouche we had before hand if I remember correctly potato and leek soup with a truffle oil garnish was delicious.

I am not a great dessert person but I had the chocolate dessert which was a little too rich for me, but again beautifully presented with interesting textures (crisp garnishes etc)

I especially love visiting Lewtrenchard in the summer because of its setting. They use a lot of their own produce - so worth a visit.

Room Tip: Stayed previously but this time we were only visiting the restaurant
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends

Dear happyholiday girl059

Thank you very much for your very nice review and i am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch. We have taken on board all your comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2017

My wife and I stayed in the St Gertrude suite and had the tasting menu with wine flights. Fantastic! Superb ingredients quality and cooking. The cellar is outstanding too. Such nice people from owners to staff - genuinely friendly service and conversation. The place just oozes history from every pore, whilst offering cutting edge service and food. Thanks folks for looking after us so nicely - we really felt at home. Wish we could have stayed longer.

One minor suggestion:- I am sure that during high season there will be a very convivial atmosphere in the restaurant and the avoidance of background music is spot-on then. I think for out of season however, on occasions when there are just a very few people dining, perhaps some gentle background music to help the atmosphere might be an idea? This is just a personal view - the place is glorious already so it's not so important.

Room Tip: South African shiraz superb. They turn-down your bed during evening meal, you are not told - so tidy away your knick-knacks before dinner.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smoothound54
Duncan M, Front Office Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear smoothound54

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We often think if the restaurant is very quiet perhaps we should play backround music - some guests hate it and others like it! But if we are quiet we could offer it so thank you for the idea.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

This is the most amazing hotel you will find. This is our final night of our 4 night stay and Lewtrenchard Manor and both ourselves and Bob the dog could not of asked for more. The hotel is stunning, our room was spotless with amazing views of the grounds (highly recommend the Prince Rupert room) and the whole place is just incredible.

The service is 5 star. Duncan and the team made our stay special, they could not of done more for us. Bob was welcome in all areas (except the restaurant which is fully understandable) and enjoyed plenty of time with us in front of a roaring fire. The service here is personal and far exceeds many 5 star hotels.

The food at the hotel is outstanding. We are lucky enough to have dined at many top restaurants and the food here is as good as the fine dining at many of the top restaurants in London. Every dish perfectly seasoned.

On our last night there had been a large lunch function and you would not have known. I have to mention Hayley who worked tirelessly making sure we received 5 star treatment over dinner even though it had been a busy day.

The owners have done an amazing job with this hotel and I if you are looking for a great break in a fantastic hotel with outstanding food and service which is hard to beat then I recommend Lewtrenchard Manor. We can’t wait to come back - neither can Bob the dog!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Duncan M, General Manager at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear Macmonk74

What a lovely review. Thank you very much for all your positive comments. We are so glad that Bob enjoyed his stay too and we look forward to seeing you both and Bob again very soon.