“Nice Take-aways”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2019

On Friday 7th June 2019, we bought three takeaway dishes from JK in Indooroopilly. Our order comprised a Lamb Biryani, and two curries, namely, a Chicken Balti (medium spiciness), and a Lamb Jardaloo Boti (medium spiciness).

The Lamb Biryani was splendid. The lamb pieces were tender and well-marinated, and the cucumber raita complemented the biryani very well. Each of the two curries came with a tub of cooked white rice. The Chicken Balti cooked with onions and tomatoes had a distinctive spicy flavour. The Lamb Jardaloo Boti was slightly less spicy with a delicate flavour of apricots and tomatoes. All three dishes were quite enjoyable.

Given our penchant for spicy Indian dishes, we were not particularly keen on the popular Lamb Rojan Josh or the ubiquitous Butter Chicken on their lunch specials, catered to Western palettes. Neither are we fans of the Glasgow-hybridised Chicken Tikka Masala.

We fondly remember this restaurant when it used to be Ashoka Exotic Curries some decades ago. By and large the layout has not changed greatly from when we used to dine here as a family all those years back. Despite the somewhat tawdry appearance of the restaurant presently, we must say that the takeaways that we bought from JK were a delight to our taste buds. Well worth the long wait and given that that we were the only customers that hour.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (39)

Reviewed 11 June 2019

I wish I found this restaurant earlier! I am a massive fan of Indian food but am often dissapointed at busy Indian restaurants in Australia. We had two curries, a naan and a paratha which didn't leave us feeling sick or heavy, just full and very satisfied. If you don't like spice, be sure to let them know as their food is defiantly not bland. My housemate also is a big fan, ordering palak paneer on a weekly basis and after trying all the surrounding Indians she is stoked with this one.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 22 April 2019

Quick Service , Nice Food , Friendly , Helpful, Nice Maintained , Nice Location, Staff is very nice , will just cost $50 - $65
Now , That's what costumer's like

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 12 December 2018 via mobile

My wife and I popped in for a quick dinner after work and was delighted with what we had, my wife had a butter chicken and I had a chicken Tikka masala both had wonderful flavours we also had a garlic naan and cheese and spinach naan that were both delicious as well, the waitress was very friendly and the food came out quickly, there wasnt alot of people in the restaurant but this place would get alot of take away and delivery orders. we just moved to the area and will certainly be back.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed 22 November 2018 via mobile

This unassuming little place is definitely a hidden gem! If you want beautiful Indian food, then this is one of the best places around, I’d say. Portion sizes are good and not too much for one person. Service is a little sleepy though, and drinks are of the ‘fizzy in a bottle’ type, so don’t expect fancy and glamorous in that regard.
I had Goan fish curry (medium). Delicious and fresh with fluffy naan bread! Recommend this place from my visits.

Date of visit: November 2018