“Fantastic stay in Iceland in cozy apartment house”

Forsaela Apartmenthouse
Reviewed 22 June 2016

Thanks, Hlin, for one of the most fantastic holidays ever. I loved every moment of staying at your lovely place and discovering Iceland! You've been the most wonderful host. Excellent breakfasts and a very enjoyable time altogether.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Hlin G, Owner at Forsaela Apartmenthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2016

Dear Jana,

Thank you for your wonderful words of appreciation.
It was rewarding to respond to your enthusiastic and spontaneous nature
of exploring and experiencing the most.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Hlín and Siggi

Reviewed 19 June 2016

If I could judge solely on the "homeliness" of the place, this would be a definite 5-star. But it is exactly that, a home. It should not be compared to your typical hotel, and is best suited to more independent travelers. While the hostess, Hlin, was always glad to help with things we needed (changing towels, connecting on Wi-fi, booking our rental car), they are people too. They wake up, go to bed, go out for things--you don't get the 24/7, always-there sort of service you may expect from a hotel. Housekeeping service is only provided on request. And perhaps that's what you get at a place that is supposed to really feel like home. It did not mind us that much, but some people may not like this.

The place was within easy walking distance of Laugavegur, all the city sights, and several grocery stores, yet far enough from it that it was very quiet and peaceful at all hours. Our one-bedroom apartment was essentially one-half of a whole house, with all the windows overlooking a quiet garden or residential area. It felt very private and secluded, not like a hotel room but really like a home away from home. There was a sleeping loft at the top, which some people may not like as the ceiling is very low.

The entire apartment was very clean and well-kept when we arrived--definitely cleaner than our own house! Despite the old, historical look of the building, it still has all the modern conveniences like a fridge, electric cooktop, oven, washer, etc. There's nothing like having a full kitchen during your vacation! Pots, pans, utensils, dishware, etc. are all included as well, in plentiful quantities. There even was food left over by other guests, included in the apartment--treat it like a complementary "minibar" of sorts! We cooked many times during our stay.

Even after Hlin helped us, the Wi-Fi was still spotty (one bar) and would disconnect without warning. All the windows have thick roller shades or blinds to block out light, but one of the blinds would not close, which was important for sleeping due to the 24-hour light in the summer. Nevertheless, we slept just fine. The beds were very clean and comfortable, albeit a bit narrow. The TV did not work, either, and had static the whole time. Though we didn't really want to watch TV anyway, for the price (~$300/night) I would think these little things should be in working order.

The hostess, Hlin, was a tremendous help for our trip. She seemed confident and sure about what she was doing. She recommended places to visit in the city, including an excellent bakery nearby. She booked a rental car for us as well. We also enjoyed talking to her husband, Sigurgeir, who mainly works on maintaining the grounds.

While I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and the service was excellent, I definitely feel that for the price we paid, "the little things" are very important, like the internet/blinds/TV being in good working order.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
kasper07, Owner at Forsaela Apartmenthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

Dear friend of Forsaela.

Thank you for taking time to write a very clear and concise review.

I do appreciate you giving emphasise to “the homeliness” of our place and for stressing out that it should not be compared with a hotel. These words express a true understanding of our business.

I’m pleased to know that the overall experience of your stay was thoroughly a pleasant one. Your kind remarks about “the little things” have been followed through.

For what concerns the TV, we offer free access to CNN and SKY News, DR1, JimJam for children and National Geographic. We have seldom had any complaints about the TV and have taken as granted that it always works fine. Thank you for paying attention.
Fortunately it only took a phone call to have the transmission set in order.

We offer free WIFI access in all rooms and apartments, accessible as well in the garden. In most cases to resolve a problem of poor connection, restarting the router or the device is enough.
Thanks to your attention, our technician has now replaced the router and hopefully the occasional problem of a spotty connection has been resolved.

The blinds are a bit different one from another within the same apartment. The window of the sloping roof has special blinds, the sitting room has traditional blinds and the kitchen has real wood blinds. The blinds are all in good order,
Informing guests about the differences might be necessary.

We will be looking forward to welcome you again.

With kind regards,
Hlin and Siggi

Reviewed 3 May 2016

I have been staying at Forsaela Appartmenthouse since 2007 and for me it is home away from home. I work in Reykjavik and come there on business regularly ta least 3 times a year and this is always where I stay because it is such a warm, welcoming and unique place. Not only is it right in the city centre close to the bus terminal and within walking distance of everything, surrounded by restaurants and shops, but the hosts are the nicest people you will meet in Iceland. Hlin and Sigge are both very experienced in the tourist industry run tours around Iceland and will either tell you where to go, or may even arrange a tour for and take you places. They are both extremely friendly and open and will take care of you and your needs. I have stayed in all of the apartments at different times and they are each one unique, spotless, and decorated with taste thanks to Hlin's keen eye as a set designer. I cannot recommend this place more, the self catering apartments are great if you want to do a bit of cooking for yourself or the B&B option is also great if you don't or are there for a short while. In my mind this is the best guesthouse in Reykjavik.

Room Tip: All apartments are great and they are surprisingly quiet for downtown Reykjavik.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business

Deal Michele,

Thank you for taking time to write a wonderful review of Forsaela.
Being our most loyal customer for many years, we value your words of appreciation and we thank you for sharing your great overall experience with others.
We cherish the many precious moments with you and your family during these years and
look forward to welcome you for years to come.

Hlín and Siggi

Reviewed 4 April 2016

We booked because of the wonderful reviews and were truly aghast with what we got! The bed and breakfast was small bedroom with slanted wall on top floor, bath/toilet was shared by three rooms with capacity of three persons each. Breakfast was offered in the owner's dining room, we can only access during breakfast, no access to fridge. Very uncomfy. Oh yeah, a set of rules was posted on the wall. The only possitive was location was close to main street.

Stayed: August 2015
Hlin G, Owner at Forsaela Apartmenthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

Dear Salome,

I appreciate you taking time to write a review even seven months have passed since you and your family stayed with us. Forsaela offers different options of accommodation to suit different needs: three self catering apartments, a self catering little house and a house with one double room and two triple rooms as B&B accommodation.
The self catering apartments and the little house are located within the same private garden as the B&B accommodation. Each self catering apartment has a bedroom, a sitting room, a private bathroom and a well equipped private kitchen.
Considering your comments, you might have been happier choosing an apartment instead of a triple room.

With kind regards,
Hlin

Reviewed 30 March 2016

It was such a fun and unique experience - I could go on and on about it!
I liked the location being a little further from downtown -I got to walk around more and see the city. (it's still very close, right by Laugavegur and right by the church. In fact, you get a great view of the church from the driveway!) The shopping, bars and restaurants are all right there so you can be in the action and then go back to your quiet apartment just a block or 2 in from Laugavegur.

Hlin & Siggi are great - super friendly and helpful for all things Iceland. They helped my plan my drive out East and talked to the Budget rental place to rent a car for my journey. Each apartment is different - I had the chance to stay in 2 different ones because I stayed there both before and after my road trip. Both places were very cozy and had everything I needed.

The only trouble I had was with the different tour services. It's very common for you to book a tour and then the bus comes and picks you up where you're staying, 60 - 30 mins before your tour begins. They tell you to 'be in the lobby' however I don't think there is a lobby at Forsaela so instead you just go to wait outside out front. This is fine - but being it was winter, standing outside waiting for a bus for an hour was very cold. Twice there was a missed connection with the tour companies in which I ended up standing outside for more than an hour waiting on the next bus. In the end it all worked out but be prepared to stand outside, on time for the tour buses. The buses will leave you!

Forsaela Apartmenthouse and Hlin & Siggi made my first trip to Iceland so incredible and unforgettable - I highly recommend to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank KaCe032

Dear Casee,

We truly enjoyed reading your wonderful review. Expressive and colourful reminding us of your stay at Forsaela last February. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. It was a pleasure to get to know you and to follow your adventures travels through the Icelandic winter scenes.
We will be looking forward to your next visit!

Hlin and Siggi