“Excellent staff, good restaurant, typical Hilton”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent staff, good restaurant, typical Hilton”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at this HIlton in March of 2012 when I visited Iceland with my mother on a combined hotel/airfare package I had bought from Icelandaire. We stayed for 5 days. The hotel is considered a luxury property for Iceland, but I would rate it as somewhat less fancy than other international Hiltons I have stayed in elsewhere in Europe or the Middle East.

That being said, the hotel was immaculately clean, the staff extremely helpful and efficient, and the restaurant very, very good. We actually ate there several times - try the langostines, they are wonderful. The salmon is also very good. The breakfast buffet is also very high quality, but expensive if you don't have a voucher for it (pretty typical for hotel breakfast buffets price wise).

The bathrooms were small but serviceable - warning, water temperatures in Iceland tend to be one thing or the other - when you get hot, you get scalding hot. When you get cold, you will be numbed by it. Once you figure out the trick with the shower controls (again, typical when traveling in different countries) you should be fine.

The room had a flat panel tv screen (for fun while jet lagged, try watching the Icelandic only tv channels), small desk, bedside table. Internet access was free as well.

We had a pretty jam packed schedule while there, so I spent most of my time in my room sleeping. The bed was a bit soft (and oddly enough had two twin comforters on a double mattress), but was perfectly fine.

The shuttle service we found to be somewhat unreliable - which was a bit frustrating. The hotel is a solid mile walk from downtown (which would be fine in summer, but in winter with ice, slush, etc., not so pleasant).

I would certainly stay here again. Some of the package deals Icelandaire offers with this hotel are quite good. Excellent value for the money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. We also stayed here as a package deal with Icelandair and glad we chose this hotel. We took our kids to Iceland for spring break and had to book three rooms. The hotel staff was great and got us three rooms all right next to each other. All of the tour buses and shuttle buses stop here. Some of the tours don't stop at some of the hotels. The hotel let us check in early when our flight arrived a 9am. The breakfast buffet is VERY expensive and not really worth it. There is a little coffe shop just across the street and a grocery store around the corner.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Andreastravels
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

We purchased this hotel as a package deal with Icelandair, so the price was right. The front desk staff was amazing, at all times of night. There is free internet access at all hours. The breakfast buffet was amazing! Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2012
Doha
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I chose the Nordica as part of an icelandic Air package and was happy I chose to stay there. The hotel is small enough that staff members got to know me quickly and always greeted me with a friendly smile. Perla in the tourist office was a wonderful help and very patient. Last minute excusions or changes for pick-up times were never a problem.

It is a bit of a hike downtown (well, the trip back is harder) but several city buses stop right in front of the hotel, so that is a convenient option if the shuttle bus has just left and you don't want to take a taxi. I would suggest buying a Reykjavik Welcome card and bus fares and entrances to museums and the nearby Laugardalslaug geothermal pool (which is a wonderful facility) are free. It's a great deal.

Overall, I enjoyed my time and my only regret is that breakfasts were not included in my package, as the breakfast buffet was very enjoyable!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This Hilton is very comfortable place to stay. The beds were rather soft and the hotels location is a bit far out from the center of town. Service was friendly and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view