“Excellent”

Ranked #33 of 563 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: USD 15 - USD 75
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Inspiring traditional Icelandic cuisine. We take the good old traditional recipes and the best Icelandic ingredients to create fun and tasty food. Let tradition surprise you! We go to great lengths to find Icelandic cookbooks and other written material that may contain recipes we can use in new and inventive ways. Everything on our menu is homemade with first class produce.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were deciding between a few different options for our one meal in Reykjavik and so happy we came to Matur Og Drykkur. Tasting menu is a must and the vegetarian option was much appreciated!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Reviewed 3 April 2018

On our last night in Iceland, my partner and I decided to treat ourselves to a night out.
We booked a table at Matur Og Drykkur as we had read some great things about the food and its take on traditional Icelandic cuisine.

We chose the tasting menu which was incredible but not for the faint hearted. The small starter dishes were all very different and tasty, particularly the smoked lamb - possibly the smokiest thing I have ever tried! But the main dish - Cod's Head - was truly something unexpected and different. I had never seen a cod's head so big - nor ever had it served in such a way - totally worth it. The deserts were also incredible. If you're a fan of Skyr (if you haven't tried it, you must!) then you'll love Matur Og Drykkur's spin on it.

Amazing!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My wife and I had our last dinner in Iceland here and really enjoyed this restaurant! First off, the service was great - the waiters were around as much as you needed them and were quite friendly. It is set in a former fish factory, which gives it a very unique ambiance and the menu offered an interesting set of dishes inspired by traditional Icelandic food. Of particular note were the "Trout smoked with sheep’s dung" appetizer and the "Cod’s head cooked in chicken stock with dulse" and "Lamb, grated lamb heart, red cabbage, crowberries, potatoes" mains. The cocktail menu was phenomenal as well - we recommend the birch liquor-based option!

1  Thank CNorris82
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We went here for dinner celebrating our wedding anniversary. We'd seen the place in Rick Stein's Long Weekend series and the place looked fun. We booked 2 months in advance (just to make sure) - and it was full. The place is small and quirky. Very warm and comfortable.

For dinner, I had the Icelandic 3-course (Icelandic cheese, Lamb, and Sky). My wife had the fish special (halibut soup, Ling, and Skyr). Both dinners were lovely. My lamb was perfectly cooked (for me!) and was a large portion. The halibut soup was also excellent. The Skyr for desert is lovely - we have really become addicted to the stuff.

One neat feature, the pass is in the restaurant. So we could watch the dishes being put together. The cooked components were cooked behind the pass, and we watched the plating. Especially dramatic was when they used a blow-torch to sear the cod's head dish. It was great watching clearly talented chefs turning out great plates of food. Service was relaxed but attentive. I would definately come here again if I was ever lucky enough to return to Iceland.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Great food and good selection of drinks. We had horse loin and wolffish and they were both delicious. All very authentic so great place if looking for traditional Icelandic food. Very friendly attentive staff.