“Good way to get introduced to the city”
Review of CityWalk Reykjavik

CityWalk Reykjavik
Ranked #6 of 375 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: CityWalk Reykjavik is the runner of the famous Free / Tip-based walking tour in Reykjavik. Citywalk ltd. is a licensed tour operator by the Icelandic tourist board. Guides for the "Free" Classic are Marteinn, Eirikur, Sara, Johannes, Tomas and Thordis. Magnus guides the financial tour and Bjorn is the running guide. In addition we also operate a nightlife tour, The Pubcrawl. We run year around in all sorts of weather, departing multiple times daily.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This walking tour provided interesting fact about different city buildings and landmarks. Guide was happy to answer any questions we had about the country. A bit cold for January so tour was adjusted to give us a couple of stops indoors to warm up.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,185)
All reviews
"icelandic culture"
in 103 reviews
"fun facts"
in 41 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had to book in for this "free" walking tour-when we went to the tourist office at midday, the 1pm tour was booked out but we managed to get on the 3pm tour that afternoon. Tomas was our great tour guide. He made the 2 hour tour interesting and enjoyable, and we learnt so much in a short space of time.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Joining the free walking tour was a good way to kickstart our first Icelandic adventure. Information gained from it has further enhanced our trip experience :)

Our guide Eiríkur, a history graduate with a great sense of humour, walked us through the streets and past historical buildings, explaining Iceland's history and interesting stories of Reykjavík, in addition to some fun facts about Icelanders. (I do believe that most people get a kick out of reciting their full names to foreigners. Perfect ice-breaker, no doubt!) At the end of the tour, we were treated to Icelandic candies and also, a list of extra info and useful tips about Iceland.

The only lament I have was that two hours went by too soon, as I had enjoyed the walk immensely despite getting constantly teased by the weather in late March. Don't forget your rain jackets and layers! Along with a dash of humour and curiosity to complement :)

1  Thank Chrystal G
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We had booked this in on the last day of our trip, and so wished we had done it on the first. We arrived at the House of Parliament (which was easy to find) and met Eric, our tour guide. Well what can I say, a man who has amazing knowledge of the area and a great sense of humour. He was happy to answer all questions and gave a great overview of the history of Reykjavík. I cannot rate this walking tour enough. If you are lucky enough to have Erik as your tour guide, you’re in for a treat!!!!

1  Thank Burnsy197979
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018

citywalk.is has multiple tours, most with a cost, but I attended the free two-hour Reykjavik walk led by Sara, kind of on the spur of the moment (note: you do need to register online, which I did). I'm really glad I did.

To clarify, while there's no fee required to participate, guides encourage tips and , based on Sara's performance, they certainly deserve them. These are professionals.
Sara is a high school teacher of history and feminism, with a masters in history. She is feisty and very funny. The whole group warmed to her wit.

The day I went, there were about 40 people, but I never had trouble hearing Sara, and the crowd size also worked fine when she passed around some visual aids (old photos, e.g.). We probably walked less than a mile over the two hours and stopped perhaps fifteen times to learn about a particular place. It was my last day in Iceland, and the tour really filled in some holes in my understanding of Reykjavik's history, especially how Reykjavik went from a small fishing village to the country's most important city and how Iceland achieved independence. It also gave me a sense of today's Icelandic culture, which is very progressive by U.S. standards. Although it didn't help me because I was at the end of my trip, another reason to take the tour is that Sara shared lots of tips on good and inexpensive things to do.

I highly recommend taking this walk, perhaps best early in your visit. Having done it, I wished I had left time for some of the paid tours, especially the one on Iceland's financial debacle in 2009.