All reviews jelly belly tower room the main house house cat quiet neighborhood private entrance perfect place to stay bsi bus terminal guest house spacious apartment stay there again small kitchen enjoyed our stay street parking minute walk living room pick ups
Reviewed 23 January 2018

My wife and I arrived one night on a dark and rainy night.
My wife got the key while I found street parking. Unfortunately, I could tell from my wife look that there was something wrong. Because of my animal allergies, I had requested an animal free room, which they had obliged. Unfortunately, it was in a secondary out building. When I got in to see it, I saw the problem. The room was really small. Like so small, we could not open our full size luggage. The room itself was nice, but we could not see ourselves puzzling around 3 days without being able to get into our stuff. We went over to the main building, the one you see all the pictures for, and it was very nice. The women heard our concerns, and offered for us to look at the one remaining room she had. It was very nice, up a spiral stair case, but my wife would not go for it as the trek in the middle of the night to the bathroom was more than she would want to deal with, and there was again, the animal allergy problem.

So, we chatted with the owner, who mentioned she had another property which was available. It was more money, but she offered us a discount for the trouble and we went there.

So, I would like to review the place we stayed, but I do not know what it was actually called.

As far as Galtafell itself, we did see it, and it was very nice and homey. Even her dog was nice. If one stayed in the main building, no problem with space (from what I could see). It was very nice. The secondary building was also nice, but better suited to someone with backpacks.

As for location, it's quite good. Only a short walk from the downtown main street(s)

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larrabee
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We booked (at an exorbitant rate) at Galtafell instead of an AirBNB as we were going for Christmas and wanted a more communal atmosphere than a solo apartment, and we looked forward to the shared area of the guesthouse as well as the breakfasts. We booked through their website, which had no notifications that there would be any differences for the stay -- nor did our communications with the guesthouse in advance of this imply a difference.

We were INCREDIBLY disappointed by our stay: we arrived to a sign on the front door indicating we should just let ourselves in, instead of a personal welcome. When we went upstairs to let them know we had arrived, we were informed that 1) the entire guesthouse was CLOSED so that there was no communal space (we had booked the "1-br apartment" to enjoy both our privacy and the communal area) and 2) they wouldn't be serving any breakfast at all during the stay. They informed us their family was there for Christmas so, essentially, we weren't welcome to intrude. When, on the 26th, we asked if we could go to breakfast the next morning, they informed us that she still wasn't serving breakfast (though it was no longer an official holiday) but could prepare bags for us (presumably at higher cost).

We stayed in an IKEA-furnished, mediocre apartment for more than $200 per night (yes, they INCREASED the fare for the significantly reduced service). We were absolutely appalled by the service and, out of principle, I'd never recommend a place that price-gouged and massively underdelivered on service on a holiday.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katelyn H
Reviewed 21 December 2017

We had a great time here. Great location,Hosts very helpful, superb WiFi. The 1 bedroom apartment was ideal for our family of 4. We would certainly recommend this place. Couldn’t ask for anymore. We will be back!

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Gary F
Reviewed 18 December 2017

So having booked a twin with shared facilities on the basis of the traditional, light and spacious rooms advertised online I was rather disappointed to have been assigned one of the plain ensuite rooms in the garage renovation next to the main house, no views, very ordinary ground floor box room.

When we arrived I'm not sure they were even aware of our booking (made a number of weeks in advance) as the only sign on the door was welcoming somebody else - yes as the previous reviewer stated the house is locked during the day and you have a piece of paper on the front door directing you to your room. This was presumably why we eventually ended up in a room we didn't book.

Anyway, given we preferred not to take breakfast as we had early pick-ups in town each day and wanted to explore the local cafe scene on our final morning we didn't get to see the house at all. If you're after a traditional guest-house homely feel, this isn't the choice for you, might just as well book a mediocre chain hotel.

Wouldn't recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Just_Timothy
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

The guesthouse is a nice hotel. You are welcomed by a paper on the door stating where you'll find the place where you'll be staying. Not very warm, but for me no problem. The room was nice, is the old garage. Small but just enough. But unfortunately, not clean. Hairs in the bathtub, stuff under the bed.
The location is great, street parking is free and it is quiet outside. So all and all not a bad place to stay, but they should put a little more effort in the cleaning.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple